Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: 300gr 45acp?

Boolit Master

300gr 45acp?

I can find some 260gr load data but nothing for 300gr anywhere. Who has tried it?

I'd like to try some 300gr LEE bullets in my ACP bolt action and need a place to start.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    I can find some 260gr load data but nothing for 300gr anywhere. Who has tried it?

I'd like to try some 300gr LEE bullets in my ACP bolt action and need a place to start.
    I'm no help but I remember an article about using 300 gr fpjbt bullets in a 1911. I think it was Handloader magazine. You're not bound to magazine oal so you have room to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I think I remember that article also but can't turn it up.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In your bolt action you could probably use the starting data for the 260gr and work from there.
    And we need pics of your .45 rifle.
    Thomas

Boolit Master
    Oh it’s an ugly savage with a Tupperware stock and a 17” bull barrel....nothing really to look at.

I tried w231 with 300gr lee, it shot terrible and was slow enough I could see the bullet in flight.
    Last edited by dk17hmr; 12-16-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vendor Sponsor

How can you take one of the largest heaviest boolits ever made for 45 caliber handgun loads, and stick it in the mouth of one of the smallest possible cartridge cases and expect ANYTHING out of it? The laws of physics themselves dictate that this is totally illogical if you want to know the truth.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 12-16-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

I think the 45 autorim is a better candidate for this, but of course you can't use that in your rifle. I say this because you can seat the bullet out further on my Autorims.

You can get the 45acp and Autorim pretty close to 45 Colt loads and speaking about loads for the Colt not Ruger.

Please, 230grn. is a heavy bullet in this caliber and 250grn. is pushing any useful limits in this case regaurdless of the weapon used in.

Boolit Master
    Weather it is logical or useful is irrelevant. I have the bullets and I have a rifle that is capable of handling pressures that would be bad news in handguns.

My 1911 has shot plenty of 260gr swc bullets at a fairly good velocity so we will have to agree to disagree that 230gr is heavy for this round.
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Is this a sub sonic target smoosher project?

Boolit Master
    In the book, "Handloading" by Wm. C. Davis, Jr. published by the National Rifle Association of America, January 1981 with the fourth printing on February 1991 which I have, on page 256 under Handgun Loads For The .45 Auto Rim, they list this load:
    #10 300 Gr Cast FLN LP, 7.1 HER Bluedot, Vel: 740 fps, Pressure 13300 Cup, Case: WIN, Primer: WIN, type 111, COAL: 1.265, Data Source NRA.
    After much testing in a S&W 1917 revolver I gave up and bought a mold for a 200 grain lead projectile and got real good accuracy with this one. I believe the twist rate for the 45 ACP guns is designed around a standard 200 to 230 grain bullet. But the 300 grain cast lead projectile did come out of the end of the barrel without any pressure indications. But I just couldn't hit the target with them.
    Last edited by DonMountain; 12-16-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    For the most part yes. I'm pretty sure my suppressor won't be approved until next fall so this is mostly a test to see if I can make the 300s work. I know I can load everything sub sonic in this but wouldn't mind having a bigger smack when I hit steel or a coyote.

My state won't let me big game hunt with it because it doesn't meet OAL requirements. I'm tempted to have another barrel made and chambered in 45 winchester mag just too meet requirements.
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    In the book, "Handloading" by Wm. C. Davis, Jr. published by the National Rifle Association of America, January 1981 with the fourth printing on February 1991 which I have, on page 256 under Handgun Loads For The .45 Auto Rim, they list this load:
    #10 300 Gr Cast FLN LP, 7.1 HER Bluedot, Vel: 740 fps, Pressure 13300 Cup, Case: WIN, Primer: WIN, type 111, COAL: 1.265, Data Source NRA.
    Thank you.
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In Remembrance

I have loaded 280 grain gas checked boolits in my Frankenfield .45ACP bolt action rifle with good results. These are an LBT "Long-flat-nose" design and a full 1/4 inch shorter then the Lee .45/300RF so don't take up as much powder room. I am also loading them in .45 Super brass which is made for higher pressure than standard .45ACP. Full case loads (not compressed) of Blue Dot, Accurate #9 and WC820 loads result in about 1200 fps with no signs of excessive pressure. 100 yard accuracy is great with the 1 in 16" twist Reinland barrel.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Thank you.
    Why not take your favorite powders and start low and work up your loads. You have enough reloading experience to do that don't you? Just watch your case web area and although not a good pressure sign, watch your primers. When you get high in a 1911 the firing pin hole will rip little donuts out of your primer.
    Last edited by vzerone; 12-17-2017 at 12:29 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    FWIW back in the day I cracked the frame on an M1911A1 shooting #457191 resized down to .453" diameter with 7 grains of Blue Dot. Great bowling pin load, but 20-lb. recoil spring wasn't enough after 1000 rounds...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    For those that are interested 2400, small primer brass, and the Lee 300gr wfn does alright at 50 yards.

I didn't bring the chrono out this trip. It shows enough promise to work with it some more so I'll get velocity numbers in the future.
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ