Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: US Springfield Krag sporters-let's see them

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Line em up with the holes, they're the same screw spacing. Nice sight collection, you wouldn't happen to have a 1901 sight that is graduated to 2100yds would you? Or maybe a 96 carbine sight?
    No, the farthest mark on mine(1901) is 20 for 2000 yards unless you count the open notch on the top as 2100 ?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    I made this video 5 days ago.

If you flip the front ring 180degrees around the "clamping part" will be on the bottom of the action and hidden in the stock.

Attachment 212374Attachment 212375
    Click to enlarge.

Here are 3 different types with one or two variations. Viewed from the top you might not think the hole spacing to be the same, but turned over and with the holes aligned it is apparent that they are.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

I would like to put to rest the question of rear sight hole spacing. From 1892 to 1902, they are the same
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Bub
    Hello uscra112 I would love to make a set trigger like the one you showed.Any chance you could show a pic from the other side if it`s different? Thanks ,Paul.

Boolit Master

I've got a bunch of 30-40 blank brass. Can that brass be reloaded to shoot real bullets or boolits???

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in Oregon View Post
    Hello uscra112 I would love to make a set trigger like the one you showed.Any chance you could show a pic from the other side if it`s different? Thanks ,Paul.
    'Fraid not. Those fell off the Internet vine into my hard drive some years ago, actual source now long forgotten. It looks pretty symmetrical to me, though. Or maybe you could talk gnoahhh into photographing his.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I have 30-40 Krag that was sporterized by Mel Johnson. In great shape. He was the inventor of the Johnson Rifle and started the Johnson Automatics Comany. Johnson also had his custom shop located in Hope Valley, Rhode Island where he made custom conversions of surplus bolt action rifles into 'state of the art' hunting rifles. The barrel, a 30-40 Krag, is stamped with Johnson Automatics. Had communications with his son a few years ago. He verified it was one of the rifles done by Johnson in his shop. Need to dig it out of the safe to get some pictures. Shot it a few times and it became a Safe Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    I've got a bunch of 30-40 blank brass. Can that brass be reloaded to shoot real bullets or boolits???
    I'd guess yes. I have a bunch of .30-06 blanks, cut one lengthwise and it was just as heavy as the standard GI stuff. This made sense to me because it would be simpler to use the same line to make both. You might wish to do the same to one piece of your brass and see how they measure up. I'd also want to make sure they are not balloon head.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate69 View Post
    I have 30-40 Krag that was sporterized by Mel Johnson. In great shape. He was the inventor of the Johnson Rifle and started the Johnson Automatics Comany. Johnson also had his custom shop located in Hope Valley, Rhode Island where he made custom conversions of surplus bolt action rifles into 'state of the art' hunting rifles. The barrel, a 30-40 Krag, is stamped with Johnson Automatics. Had communications with his son a few years ago. He verified it was one of the rifles done by Johnson in his shop. Need to dig it out of the safe to get some pictures. Shot it a few times and it became a Safe Queen.
    I'd love to see it! I have a Johnson M41 and a small collection of literature from Johnson Automatics Company.

Boolit Master
    Years ago I had a Johnsons Automatics BB gun, looked like a submachine gun, was very well made of some kind of bakelite type plastic, and used a spring type of catapult system to propel the BB. I've never seen another one .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    'Fraid not. Those fell off the Internet vine into my hard drive some years ago, actual source now long forgotten. It looks pretty symmetrical to me, though. Or maybe you could talk gnoahhh into photographing his.
    I would be happy to. I'm away from home until Sunday, not checking in much. I'll pull it apart and take some close-up happy snaps for you.

Boolit Master
    Although not as good as double set triggers, drilling and tapping the sear for a setscrew can improve trigger pull immensely. I thought the sear would be hardened, but it drilled and tapped easily. Once you get the slack out, the trigger will be loose and able to flop forward freely. To remedy that, I inletted a light spring and plunger to keep the trigger to the rear. The trigger guard holds the spring in.

Nice engineering, Quack. Must take a little tinkering to get the two opposing forces balanced, but I can see where you could get very good results.

Boolit Master
    Not much tinkering at all. The spring was the thinnest wire I could find and I even stretched it out a little to weaken it even more. All it does is keep a very light pressure on the front of the trigger to keep it from flopping forward.

Boolit Master

There are two threads for the vast majority or apertures. They aren't close to each other either. 10 x 32 is for Marble (I think) and 7/32 x 40 is most everything else. Taps for the 7/32 aren't that hard to find, but I sure would like to find a die for it. Need one.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123