Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US Springfield Krag sporters-let's see them

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krag Scout 1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	211690 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krag Scout 2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	211691

This one started out as an 1899 action with an aftermarket carbine stock. After some parts scrounging, I turned a Douglas 12" twist barrel down and milled integral Weaver type bases onto it, added a Lyman #1 cocking piece sight, a Redfield front, and a sling, and chambered it in .30-40. Still haven't blued the barrel yet, nor drilled the forward attachment for a third sling swivel.

Didn't have the heart to turn the barrel down enough to make the weight of a Scout Rifle, but that's the general look and effect I tried for. Colonel Cooper would have said it wasn't a "True Scout," although it has many "Scoutlike characteristics."

It's one of my favorite cast-boolit toys. I annoy the 500-M Ram silhouettes off the bench with 21 gr SR-4759 and whatever boolit I have on hand. The current one is Ideal 311467. For some reason, sizing to 0.308" gives the best results.

The trigger could use some improvement, though.

That set trigger on gnoahhh's Krag looks like this one, said to be Hervey Lovell's invention. Not too hard to make, if you're so inclined.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lovell Set Trigger.jpg   Lovetl Trigger Set.jpg  
    Last edited by uscra112; 01-12-2018 at 05:08 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I made this video 5 days ago.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, uscra112. My list of projects needs to be pared down before tackling that one, though. Has anyone tried the Huber Concepts trigger for the Krag? They seem to be the only outfit that makes one for this model rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    I made this video 5 days ago.

I always imagined a scout scope base that use the original rear sight screw holes would be ideal on a 1898 Krag? Man in video needs to get some good screw drivers!!!
    Mine has a Redfield 102K rear sight with a 1903 front sight on a 21 & 1/2" barrel. Just recieved a classic sporter stock that has promise someday.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master
    You can get a scout scope base that will fit the original rear sight screw holes from www. Kraghaus .com I will check that to be sure of the website got one and it works just great. There is two different ones just depends on what you want.

Yes, but for which rear sight,1898, 1901,1902,1896,1892? They were all different screw spacing?
    Steve
    Last edited by S.B.; 01-15-2018 at 01:11 PM.
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Yes, but for which rear sight,1898, 1901,1902,1892,1892? They were all different screw spacing?
    Steve
    Just let them know which rear sight you have and they should be able to help you

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    That set trigger on gnoahhh's Krag looks like this one, said to be Hervey Lovell's invention. Not too hard to make, if you're so inclined.
    Thanks. I didn't know that the trigger is attributable to Hervey Lovell. It works a treat.

Hervey was very innovative guy, and from what I've been able to uncover, was a rather personable fellow too. I wish there were more about him in print. Landis's comments regarding him (in ".22 Varmint Rifles") are some of the best but still not very biographical.

Yes, but for which rear sight,1898, 1901,1902,1896,1892? They were all different screw spacing?
    Steve
    Screw spacing is all the same, but if you still have a handguard on, you might have to modify Kraghaus' short rail. I had to modify the rail for one of my rifles but I can't recall for which model handguard. Must've been for the 1896 handguard. I only had to remove a small bit of the rail. If you have no handguard, they have a longer model that you can drill and tap more holes in the barrel for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1302.JPG  
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 01-19-2018 at 03:07 PM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    Nice! I was looking for an action and found a decent sporter (no pictures at the moment) for a good price. I plan to re-barrel it in 6mm Ackley Krag Long and cantilever a scope off the barrel reinforce so I don't muck up the action for the next owner.
    Hold the reamer short and use .303 British. It's cheaper and easier to find than Krag brass. I came very close to building one with a Obermeyer barrel. Already had it threaded and chambered.Then I got an AR and it seemed having an upper built in 6x45 was an even better idea!
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Nothing fancy but a good shooter...................
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Hold the reamer short and use .303 British. It's cheaper and easier to find than Krag brass. I came very close to building one with a Obermeyer barrel. Already had it threaded and chambered.Then I got an AR and it seemed having an upper built in 6x45 was an even better idea!
    Thanks for the tip. Fortunately, I have plenty of 30-40 Krag brass.

Screw spacing is all the same, but if you still have a handguard on, you might have to modify Kraghaus' short rail. I had to modify the rail for one of my rifles but I can't recall for which model handguard. Must've been for the 1896 handguard. I only had to remove a small bit of the rail. If you have no handguard, they have a longer model that you can drill and tap more holes in the barrel for.
    I don't have a handguard on mine but, according to pictures of rear sights over on Krag Collectors the screws don't look the same spacing to me, anyhow?

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krag-Sights.jpg  
    Life member AF&AM 294

Quote Originally Posted by ticket machine View Post
    I hope someone will recognize the rear sight on my gun and tell me who made it. I would love to find an aperture for it so I will have a smaller hole to look through.
    That is a Redfield 102 rear sight. The Redfield 102K fitted on the left side and was a no drill installation. Yours is likely a Mauser sight that was fitted by drilling and tapping two holes on the right side of the receiver. None the less, it will take Redfield, Lyman or Williams apertures. Pretty much standard.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Nice looking ol' rifle, Herb.

You know, I have most of those sights in my parts drawers. I'll dig some out tomorrow, given the time, and take some measurements. If I remember correctly out of the 5 or so different models at least 3 have the same screw spacing.

Boolit Master
    My most fun rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ppbkrag2_zpsfd495c78.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	212241

I don't have a handguard on mine but, according to pictures of rear sights over on Krag Collectors the screws don't look the same spacing to me, anyhow?

Steve
    Line em up with the holes, they're the same screw spacing. Nice sight collection, you wouldn't happen to have a 1901 sight that is graduated to 2100yds would you? Or maybe a 96 carbine sight?

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

You'll have to excuse the cell phone pictures, they suck but I can't save the pictures from my digital camera.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krag.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	212256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krag carbine.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	212257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krag JSA 1901.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	212258
    Charter Member #148

Banned
    Hold the reamer short and use .303 British. It's cheaper and easier to find than Krag brass.
    i have many 303s that are made into krag brass. i don't need 30-40 brass anymore but there is still graffs...

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/73152

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast