Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US Springfield Krag sporters-let's see them

Boolit Bub

US Springfield Krag sporters-let's see them

I have always like the smooth Krag action and shot one for many years. It was an 1898 model, no mods to it, and it shot great. Found this rifle on Gunbroker last year and had to have it. Someone did a beautiful job on it and for what I paid it was a bargain. Can't believe nobody bid on it. Don't see skeleton butts that are checkered or grip caps cut out like a deer hoof print. The receiver sight has no markings on it but the rifle shoots to point of aim with 180gr. bullets. Trigger has been worked on also. I can't bear to put sling swivels on the stock.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krag 001.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	211378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krag 002.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	211379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krag 003.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	211380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krag 004.JPG 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	211381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krag 005.JPG 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	211382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krag 006.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	211383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krag 007.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	211384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krag 008.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	211385

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Now that is one tasteful Sporter! Love the grip cap,,,,,,.

Mines not so fancy, but I like it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	211387
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Bub
    I hope someone will recognize the rear sight on my gun and tell me who made it. I would love to find an aperture for it so I will have a smaller hole to look through.

Boolit Man

If you have a local gun shop, they probably have a box full of apertures for you to choose from. Walking in with a beauty like that, you should have one in no time. Dave

Attachment 211399
    click to enlarge

Here are a couple of mine-- not as elaborately done as yours. Your rifle's custom work is seldom seen now days. Although no doubt there are still some who do such work, and the skeleton grip caps and butt plates are still available, such work as your rifle displays is usually the product of an old timer in the 1940s or earlier. Your rifle is very nicely done, and you got a great deal on it.

As for your question about the peep sight aperture, I have several different vintage peep sights mounted on Krags, but do not recognize your exact model. So, speaking in generalities and not really promising anything, it has in general been my experience that the sights that mounted on the left side pre-dated those that mount on the right side, so I would think that yours would be relatively newer. Not like just a few years ago--newer like perhaps the '40s or '50s compared to the '20s or '30s. It is a very basic, simple sight and the big screw dates it. But somewhere along the line all of the major sight companies like Lyman, Redfield, Williams, etc. standardized the threads on the apertures, so if you buy one from Brownell's the odds are good that it will work. I have the "Twilight" aperture installed on most of mine, which has a gold ring around the peep and helps a great deal in low light. Maybe someone here can yet positively identify your sight. Good luck with this.

Boolit Master

I knew several gunsmiths that were still doing skeleton cap and butt plates well into the late 1960's. Problem was, it is time consuming and takes a steady hand to get them right --thus pricey to have it done. There are gunsmiths that can do such work today but we live in a plastic world now and the demand is just not there except for a small fast dwindling market. Too bad, the 50's and 60's were the heyday for custom rifles. james

Boolit Bub
    Now if I can just find a Sedgley Springfield sporter at the right price I would be satisfied. Always wanted one and couldn't afford one.

Boolit Master
    Here's mine, still in progress. Wasn't really looking for a Krag, but this one came along at a price I couldn't pass up. Somebody had really hacked up the stock, but, since the inside of the barrel was pretty good, I figured it was worth saving. At first I was just going to make a new stock, but there was some pretty nice grain in what was left of the issue stock. It would have probably been easier and taken less time to make a new stock. In a few months, once it warms up outside, I'll polish the metal and then drag my bluing tanks out of the garage and blue it. A couple of before and after pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by JRPVT View Post
    If you have a local gun shop, they probably have a box full of apertures for you to choose from. Walking in with a beauty like that, you should have one in no time. Dave
    No kidding! Bring it to my house and we'll look for one! That is a beauty and it would be great to hunt with.

Boolit Grand Master

Measure the threads on the sight I have a drawer full of aps.

Nice! I was looking for an action and found a decent sporter (no pictures at the moment) for a good price. I plan to re-barrel it in 6mm Ackley Krag Long and cantilever a scope off the barrel reinforce so I don't muck up the action for the next owner.

Nice. Longtime fan of sporters, rather than original milspec Krags. Lots of quality gunsmithing went into the good ones.

Here's my favorite - has the magazine milled off, a .22 Armory barrel chambered .22 Lovell R2, and a Stith scope. Don't know who made the stock, but it's decent wood. Spent cases drop neatly into the magazine cavity. Wish I knew who the gunsmith was, but it's totally unmarked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1177.JPG  
    Cognitive Dissident

Now I know I want a krag

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quack1 View Post
    Here's mine, still in progress. Wasn't really looking for a Krag, but this one came along at a price I couldn't pass up. Somebody had really hacked up the stock, but, since the inside of the barrel was pretty good, I figured it was worth saving. At first I was just going to make a new stock, but there was some pretty nice grain in what was left of the issue stock. It would have probably been easier and taken less time to make a new stock. In a few months, once it warms up outside, I'll polish the metal and then drag my bluing tanks out of the garage and blue it. A couple of before and after pictures.

I love it. I'd have left it as in the first picture but you definitely turned it into one fine looking rifle.

I was within hours of sealing the deal on a sporterized krag offered me by a forum member when fate slapped me down.
    I'd just figured out my monthly financial situation with just enough left over to buy the Krag when the floor of my bathroom collapsed. I had to replace the entire floor joists and all and replace most of the plumbing and buy new fixtures. No cash leftover for months to come.

Once I've repainted the house this spring I may have a little set aside for a decent Krag but I doubt I'll find as good a deal as I was offered that time around.
    Right now I'm looking at having to replace my water heater, but I suspect the seepage is not coming from the WH at all. It is probably a leak under the sink which is dripping water onto the feeder pipe of the under the counter top 30 gallon heater. If so that's 400 bucks I won't have to spend this month.

One thing about growing old, you find a lot of necessary stuff you bought new has worn out before you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    Now I know I want a krag
    Yes, you do. Every cast boolit shooter must have a Krag. The best cartridge we have for heavy .30 caliber boolits. Just watch out for cracked bolts and excessively worn throats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked Bolts01.jpg  
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by quack1 View Post

I love this, it has a European sporter look to it. Very nicely done!

Boolit Buddy
    I am a big fan of the Krag sporterized too. I would love to find a good one. They don't seem to show up very often in my neck of the woods.

Boolit Master
    One of my "sportered" Krags:

Altered to single shot, heavy barrel, chambered in .22 Maximum Lovell. Barrel and stock marked by Hervey Lovell himself. (Yes that's how his name is spelled.) I'm assuming from that that he built the gun. Pacific double set triggers (push the front trigger forward to set the rear trigger, it won't fire unset). Scope replaced with a Fecker since the pic was taken. Hervey knew what he was about- it'll slop 3 into sub-1/2MOA @ 100yds.

Banned
    very nice rifles!!!!

mine is kinda plain jane with a 22" barrel and redfield peep sight. i shot my first cast boolit buck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Yes, you do. Every cast boolit shooter must have a Krag. The best cartridge we have for heavy .30 caliber boolits. Just watch out for cracked bolts and excessively worn throats.
    I'd never seen a cracked lug before. Now I have, thanks. I'll check there whenever I handle one. I love Krag sporters. Well, military sporters period.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast