Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply PBcastco

Thread: Who makea a Sun Shade for the Weaver 4x16x44

Who makea a Sun Shade for the Weaver 4x16x44

Does anyone make a Sun shade for the Weaver 4x16x44 mm scope? Weaver does not? or does anyone know what thread size it would take??

Boolit Grand Master

Some scopes have fine threads some just small rings cut to stop glare. with magnification and good light see what your scope has. There are gages for checking thread pitch and then you can measure min dia of the thread. A machinists hand book can give you the rest of the needed info to cut the thread. This is probably a metric thread also. I made some at work from black derlin. and also see thru eye piece covers for spotting scopes.
    You need to know the thread pitch and one dia ( outside or minimum) And you can make the thread on most lathes or it gives you an idea what will interchange. You also want to know the length of the thread in the scope.
    Contact weaver with make model number of scope nd they should tell you the thread it has.

Moderator Emeritus

Have you thought about making your own ...redneck style?

One Rifle range where I have shot League and other competitions, faces west, in mid summer, the sun sets just over the berm. Worst possible shooting condition. While it's nice to have a professional O.E.M. looking sunshade that fastens tightly. It isn't really needed for benchrest shooting.

I made one from a paper towel tube, that just happened to fit snuggly over the outside of my scope. I painted it flat black, I used it for two seasons of league shooting.

I also made another one, for a antique rimfire rifle shoot, for a old Weaver 3/4" tube rifle scope, I made it from the plastic casing of a spent shotgun shell. I happened to find a 12ga. black 3" mag shell, it worked perfect. The rest of the shooters were quite jealous, and were scrambling through the trash to do the same thing for their antique rimfire scopes for that competition. That range where the sun sets over the berm is very irritating for afternoon shoots.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Using a piece of bicycle inner tube or motocross inner tube, or, whatever is just a snug fit around the end of your scope like a "rubber band/binder" that would hold a piece of plastic, like from a plastic margarine tub, a P-nut butter container, etc, or,
    Like JonB mentioned a toilet paper or paper towel tube, cut to fit as well, & colored/painted in what every ya like for it, seems like an easy DIY way to solve the issue , Until ya find just what you are looking for, anyway...

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I've turned/threaded a bunch of sun shades.We make them from aluminum tube.The thread pitches are all over the map.And the diameters are,IMO such that the scope needs to be "in hand".Meaning,I use the scope as the gage whilst shade tube is still in the chuck.Need metric threading capabilities.It's pretty fast,15-30 minutes or so if the scopes objective is straight.We use delrin for plugs to straighten out the bends.Good luck with your project.

I have one that I made out of kydex,slips on all my scopes

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I would think you could 3d print this sort of thing too, though the threading might not hold the shade well you could use an elastic strap to retain it in place. Flat back on the inside of the sun shade is a good thing, the outside can be painted pink camo if you must

I guess I better just look around and see what I can find that fits. Emailed Weaver and they never got back.

Boolit Buddy
    Which Weaver 4-16 V-16 or 40/44 or something else A Barska 40mm shade fits the V-16

Quote Originally Posted by wildwilly501 View Post
    Which Weaver 4-16 V-16 or 40/44 or something else A Barska 40mm shade fits the V-16
    It is the 4-16x44 kaspa model

I never did find one. Never came up with a home made one that I liked.