Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastco Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulling Bullets, there got to be a better way?

Boolit Man

Pulling Bullets, there got to be a better way?

I've acquired a significant amount of reloaded 44 mag that I want disassemble. There's got to be a better way to pull the bullets than using my kinetic (hammer) bullet puller. Any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    It all depends on whether or not you want to save the bullets. I just use my single stage press (raise the ram until the bullet is above the top plate, grip the bullet with vise grips and lower the ram). Quick and easy but it ruins the bullets, so I toss them in the pot and remelt them. For shorter cases where I cannot raise the ram far enough to stick out the top, I put a 1 1/8 1/2" drive socket over the ram so that I only have to raise the ram a couple of inches until the bullet sticks out of the top of the socket.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Like Hick says, kind of depends on the bullets and your technique. You can buy collet bullet pullers that work like Hick's idea but less damage to the bullet but the bullet needs to have something for the collet to latch on too.

When you used the kinetic hammer puller what are you whacking against. I think a block of hardwood is best. I have pulled thousands of rounds with hammer pullers, I have broken two of them. I recover the bullets and powder and reuse them.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

A collet puller, set up and used properly, might save the bullets. Largely depends on how and how tightly crimped. i prefer a collet puller for speed and ease of use regardless.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Man
    I have been using a 3/8" steel plate on my concrete basement floor as the anvil. Usually 3 whacks is all it takes to unseat the bullet. But with something like over 200 cartridges to do, the process will get old very fast. I would like to save the bullets if possible. The ammo came from an estate sale so who knows how old or what quality these cartridges are. I've pulled 2 bullets and they are 250 grain lead SWC. I've must have lived a sheltered life for I have never heard of a collet puller but I will be checking it out now. Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    I used to whack my kinetic puller against hardwood or a lead ingot. Then one day I tried it against the concrete floor and was amazed at the difference. One or two hits and they're out. Crimped or no. I was worried that I'd break the plastic puller banging it against concrete, but that hasn't been the case.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have a press that will allow the case and bullet to protrude past the top of press you can use dog nail clippers to grab the bullet while you raise the lever to lower the ram with some presses a extended shell holder helps , and if you file or grind the sharp edge of the clippers they won't hurt the bullet.

Boolit Man
    A check on the Hornaby and RCSB collet pullers says they're not for lead bullets. The 2 presses I have are Lyman turret presses. I may have to risk carpel tunnel syndrome to extract these bullets and save those 44 mag cases.

I use a rubber floor tile on the concrete. Softens the blow slightly, enough to not feel like I am going to break the puller.

But it still has a significant "Crack" to the impact, 2 or at most 3 good wacks and they are apart.

I have used the press trick as well with jacketed bullets. But it is hard on cast.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Lead SWC...suck it up and start hammering!
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Buddy
    About 6-8 years ago, i took a pair of those wire stripper pliers and a die grinder and enlarged the back hole (approx. to fit my .40 cal.). And like others have said put round in shell holder raise above top of press, close pliers (wire strippers) around bullet close to brass raise the handle, have pulled both cast & jacketed, i have saved & lost some. It will take some practice, to know how tight to grip the pliers.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Boolit Master

The Frankfort Arsenal Piledriver bullet puller is wonderful!

Boolit Man
    That's a good idea Hootmix. Unfortunately my press doesn't allow enough of the exposed bullet to be grabbed. I may have to take my neighbor, remy3424's suggestion and just hammer it out over a few weeks time.

Boolit Master

I first tried the press collet pullers and did not like them, too easy to damage a bullet. I then went to kinetic pullers. My pet peeve on the kinetic pullers was the collet being so tempermental. I finallly started using press shell holders to hold the cartridge. Much faster and a whole lot easier. just my experience anyway, james

Boolit Buddy

I usually use the plier and press method. Really tight bullets can be loosen by running them thru your resizing die with the decapper removed. For the impact puller I remove the 3 jaws and oring and use an RCBS style shellholder in it's place. All bullets go back to remelt GW

Boolit Man
    Great tip James! Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    The Frankfort Arsenal Piledriver bullet puller is wonderful!
    I was looking for a quieter way to pull down ammo and watched a video about a purpose built bullet puller that mounted to a wall. Seemed to work great but it was noisier than a kinetic puller.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruntson View Post
    That's a good idea Hootmix. Unfortunately my press doesn't allow enough of the exposed bullet to be grabbed. I may have to take my neighbor, remy3424's suggestion and just hammer it out over a few weeks time.
    for the short ones I invert a large diameter (mine is 1 1/8) 1/2 inch drive socket (as in socket wrench) over the ram. The big 1/2 inch square hole lets the case come up through the socket so I can grip the bullet.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    The only wall mounted one I've seen is the frankford arsenal "pile driver", looks pretty neat!

https://youtube.com/shorts/Vyrf28w4hu8?feature=share

With the radio or TV running in the background I figure this should work well. Plus easy to same the components if you want. I don't have one yet, but it's on the list for sure.
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just use wire cutters and a shell holder in my single stage press. Ruins the bullet but I never had to pull-down many so the loss was minimal. I don't like reusing bullets anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast