MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Oh MY!

My wife picked up a package of beef liver yesterday to use to make her dogs some treats. She had found a recipe and made up some a couple of weeks ago with some liver that had sat in our freezer, (lost so she said) for about 6 months and was burnt. Dogs loved them..... especially her old man who's 14 and almost no teeth left.

She decided without me nagging her to cook me a nice slice for lunch today. Been about a year since she last made it.
    Bacon grease, a minute on each side, (lightly floured and salted). Then on top of the onions wilting in another pan for a couple more minutes.
    Slide it all on my plate and OH MY GOODNESS! Best she's ever made. Perfectly done, but soft enough to cut with a fork.
    Onions were delish.

If you don't like liver, try again. Don't cook to shoe leather and use a whole onion.
    Yes, no one else in the house but the dogs will eat it,but it sure was good!

Boolit Master

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. My Stepdad loves fried chicken livers. However, growing up we had to eat it once a week or at least it seemed. I can't bring my self to go there again. There were 5 sad kids and one fat and happy dog on those nights.

Boolit Grand Master

A bar here would do chicken livers deep fried. I believe they were rolled in seasoned corn meal then panko crumbs and deep fried. To crispy outside. Ranch dressing, salsa, or barbeque sauce for dipping. They were good.

Boolit Master
    I like liver and bacon, cook the bacon then fry the liver in the bacon grease. I'm lucky because my wife likes chicken livers, I like all of it.
    No onions for dogs;
    Onions contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to cats and dogs. The ingestion of onions causes a condition called hemolytic anemia, which is characterized by damage to the red blood cells. Onion toxicity can cause the red blood cells circulating through your pet's body to burst.

Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    I like liver and bacon, cook the bacon then fry the liver in the bacon grease. I'm lucky because my wife likes chicken livers, I like all of it.
    No onions for dogs;
    Onions contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to cats and dogs. The ingestion of onions causes a condition called hemolytic anemia, which is characterized by damage to the red blood cells. Onion toxicity can cause the red blood cells circulating through your pet's body to burst.
    Ok, did I mention chicken livers? Nasty things they are. Beef, calf is best... yeah, dogs only want the liver.... no onions.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

nonono ohnonono
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

In Remembrance
    LOL, When I was growing up dad had to have liver once in a while. Mom would get it ready and put it in the pan, then leave. She didn't like the smell of cooking liver so would not even stay in the house. I don't know exactly how dad cooked it, but I thought it was good, in later years I ordered it at different eateries a few times, but some cooks can sure mess it up, so haven't even tried in years. I do like a mess of fried chicken livers now and then, can't stand gizzards though.

There were seven of us kids when i was growing up, on nights we had liver and onions, i would eat mine look away and my plate would have more on it by the time i left the table i would be stuffed. Usally had at least 6 1/2 my little sister could not eat all of hers.Me and my wife still enjoy Liver and fried onions!!My little sister will still eat it but only once or twice a year(she won't cook it)calls my dad up to go to out to eat it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Ok, did I mention chicken livers? Nasty things they are. Beef, calf is best... yeah, dogs only want the liver.... no onions.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I also love calf liver but am happy to get chicken livers every now and then.

Boolit Buddy
    I buy beef liver and slice it into strips and dehydrate them for dog treats, I have six little yappers and they give me hell in the mornings until they get their treats.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a Liver Lover , chicken , rabbit, hog , beef ....know all the restaurants that serve smothered liver & onions from Louisiana to Florida.
    The wife taught me how to fix it and I can outdo her gravy now.
    I even drive to Scott, LA. to get proper Boudin made with Hog Liver....Best Stop Market in Scott...regular or smoked , it rocks !

I have a dehydrator.....Liver Jerky...that might be worth a try...for me not the dogs !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    I love beef liver. Cooked with onions and mushrooms ummmmmmmmmmmmm

Boolit Buddy
    I like liver also, fried with onions is the best, just do not over cook it. My wife to brown it in a skillet with onions, then finish cooking it in the oven after smothering it in green chilies. Pretty good that way also.

Unrelated, but how many of us that like liver, grew up poor? Liver was a poor person food, if your family had money they could purchase better cuts of meat.

Boolit Grand Master

Yea and back in the 16-1700 lobster was for the hired help in most east coast areas.

Boolit Master
    I'm good for liver once or twice a year, but not much more.
    I do like to get my liver fix when field dressing a fresh warm Bambi though.
    Like said above, lightly floured, lightly fried with plenty onions, then dump all that on a bed of rice !!!!
    'yaaa buddy !!!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Yea and back in the 16-1700 lobster was for the hired help in most east coast areas.
    I remember reading that in 1800 Mass. they passed a law making it cruel and unusual punishment to feed prisoners lobster more than three times a week.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I like chicken livers. The best way to fix them is about a 2/0 circle hook and a medium slow river like the Big Sioux or the Little Sioux and wait for the catfish fish . Then reel the in and clean up the fish. Fry over high heat rolled in corn meal and serve with fries or onion rings.
    Rob

Banned
    The very best meat of any kind that I have ever had was venison liver. Broiled it. 2 min on each side. WOW. Just WOW.

Boolit Master

When our son was still home we would have liver eating contest. Seemed like he always won. We could always hear the Mrs. making those gaging/throw up noise's. Sometimes the boy would pick up a huge piece and cram it in, sit there and chew and smile. He liked all types as well as I did. MMMM' MMMM'
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    LOL, When I was growing up dad had to have liver once in a while. Mom would get it ready and put it in the pan, then leave. She didn't like the smell of cooking liver so would not even stay in the house. I don't know exactly how dad cooked it, but I thought it was good, in later years I ordered it at different eateries a few times, but some cooks can sure mess it up, so haven't even tried in years. I do like a mess of fried chicken livers now and then, can't stand gizzards though.
    Gizzards.....before you do anything with them , put them in a crock pot with a cup of water, on low 8 to 10 hours. Then fix them any way you want....They will be so tender. Makes a tasty gizzard gumbo !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast