RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discovered the value of double molds relative to 6 cavity molds

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by quail4jake View Post
    La plata de calor es muy facil! Esta usando un termometro para molde?
    Don't be talking dirty !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    I'll be getting my first Lee 6 cavity mold in about two weeks. I see several of you guys mentioned the use of a hot plate to bring the mold up to temp. What kind of hot plates are you using? Thanks, Kurt

Boolit Master

Another way to preheat the mold and it's free! Simply place the mold across the top of your lead pot. With some aluminum foil make a small tent over the mold and top of pot. Turn the pot on max, go get some coffee, come back in 20-25 minutes and start casting. You will have good bullets within 2-3 pours at most. Pot heats quicker and you're heating the mold at the same time. Been doing that for at least 30 years.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by uncrichie View Post
    I'll be getting my first Lee 6 cavity mold in about two weeks. I see several of you guys mentioned the use of a hot plate to bring the mold up to temp. What kind of hot plates are you using? Thanks, Kurt
    The $1 plate at the yard sale .
    I have a cast iron kettle plate on mine but a used up saw blade or similar plate will do fine .
    Obviously an open coil vs a induction type .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    This past summer we had some work done to the kitchen and were going to be without a stove for a few days. I bought whatever was the cheapest hot plate at Wal-mart (I think $10). When the kitchen was done the wife didn't even notice that I stole the hot plate and took it down to the basement for casting.

Boolit Mold
    Ahh, ok, the open coil type. I had to ask, there are just too many types out there today. Thanks everyone.

Boolit Master

Ahh, ok, the open coil type. I had to ask, there are just too many types out there today. Thanks everyone.
    Mines a 1000W closed coil unit that I still covered with a piece of 1/4" aluminum. Partly for better contact and I also use it to mount a thermocouple so it's PID controlled. In the past I had used a home made warming shelf. Highest temperature I ever recorded was about 300° of the shelf not mould temperature. With the hot plate/PID set at 390° my mould temperature is about 315° by the time the pots reached it's operating temperature and the FIRST bullets out of the cavity are good both by appearance and weight. The shelf helped but the hot plate is superior.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826