Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I joined the Sub-Zero shooting club today

Boolit Master

I joined the Sub-Zero shooting club today

Today a fellow caster and I decided we couldn't wait another week to get a few rounds down range. Like so many other areas of the country it has been exceptionally cold but we ventured out early to beat the wind. The temperature was -9 with a wind of 10mph. I shot a bit over 200 rounds and that was about all I could handle. As you can see from the photos we had the range plowed out with a nice fire. I can't seem to rotate that last picture on this tablet
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180107_090414.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	211329

Name:	20180107_085620.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	211340

Name:	20180107_085009.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	211391
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180107_085009.jpg  
    Last edited by jeepyj; 01-08-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

That's way to cold for this Florida boy.. Glad you had a great day out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    That's way to cold for this Florida boy.. Glad you had a great day out.
    That's way too cold for this NH boy to shoot.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Moderator Emeritus

I was at my Range last Friday. The High for the day was 3º
    ...but my car thermometer read -4º when I arrived at the range at about 11am
    Luckily no wind, sun was out, I was just going to test about 20 rds in the revolver, but wound up staying out there for over an hour....and I wasn't alone, there were a couple other guys out there heatin' up there glocks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

-12 here in the vehicle this am, not a lot of wind. Good boots, many layers, and good wool hat with a hood and I only got to shoot maybe 75 rounds before my buddy cried uncle. Great guy but wont invite if below freezing again. I didnt get to test what I wanted to test, we got some pistol done but his .32 Ortgies jammed and he fussed with it for +/- 15 minutes. With my gloves off trying to help it seemed like an hour. Rifle range never happened, his boss sent a text that pipes were froze. I was driving. Second mistake. Lessons learned. Jeepy good on you for getting out there! I'm gonna be heading up you way soon, didnt get to Augusta like I had planned for this weekend but heard it was a bust anyways. Oh well!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I was at my Range last Friday. The High for the day was 3º
    ...but my car thermometer read -4º when I arrived at the range at about 11am
    Luckily no wind, sun was out, I was just going to test about 20 rds in the revolver, but wound up staying out there for over an hour....and I wasn't alone, there were a couple other guys out there heatin' up there glocks.
    I'm impressed w/ everyone who got out ! Ive been doing case prep all winter. I thought about going friday too. it was -15 without the windchill at around noon, got allot of case prep done

(link for those in doubt https://www.wunderground.com/history...lyHistory.html )

In Remembrance
    LOL. I have to work in those temps, and have tried it, but standing at a range shooting in those temps, just isn't my idea of fun.

I worked every day one winter just a few short miles from a ski resort, never even crossed my mind to try snow skiing, but my kids loved it.

Boolit Master

We shot a round of sporting clays Sunday, temp was +4 with a 10-15 mph wind. We shot the woods course so only the 1st 3 stands were in the wind which was more than enough! I admit it's a sickness, just gotta have that "fix" every week. Saturday we just drank coffee and told lies, temp was -4 with wind in the 20-30mph range. I didn't even bring the gun that day!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Brave guys I'm a wimp .shot on Sunday indoors ,tunnel range old railway tunnel 200 meters nice and cosy .0 c here on Sunday.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by maxreloader View Post
    -12 here in the vehicle this am, not a lot of wind. Good boots, many layers, and good wool hat with a hood and I only got to shoot maybe 75 rounds before my buddy cried uncle. Great guy but wont invite if below freezing again. I didnt get to test what I wanted to test, we got some pistol done but his .32 Ortgies jammed and he fussed with it for +/- 15 minutes. With my gloves off trying to help it seemed like an hour. Rifle range never happened, his boss sent a text that pipes were froze. I was driving. Second mistake. Lessons learned. Jeepy good on you for getting out there! I'm gonna be heading up you way soon, didnt get to Augusta like I had planned for this weekend but heard it was a bust anyways. Oh well!
    Saturday was a busy day for me and for Sunday I actually made the choice to shoot rather than go to the show. Last time I went to Augusta we waited outside for almost an hour waiting for them to process folks into the building. I said joking to the another fellow I shoot with that I can probably get in a hundred rounds faster than we got into the show last time. I figure it likely saved me some money!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    Brave guys I'm a wimp .shot on Sunday indoors ,tunnel range old railway tunnel 200 meters nice and cosy .0 c here on Sunday.
    I don't know about being brave... Maybe just short on smarts. I'd think I would like a 200 meter tunnel to shoot in with stable temperature and no wind however I'll continue to make due with what we have. I feel quite lucky to have as nice a place as I do. That being said someday I'd like to make up a Warming / Shooting shack for those cold or rainy days.

Boolit Buddy

We need all the sub zero shooters we can get because I just can't get myself to even try it.
    Jeff. Wimp class shooter from western NC

Boolit Master
    I went cross country skiing in -15degf weather when i was in my 20s. Took the whole trip back to Denver to thaw. Now 63. I like the 50degf weather we are having while all you east coasters and rust belters are freezing your ******.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 01-09-2018 at 12:05 AM. Reason: edited word filter violation

Moderator Emeritus

We pheasant hunted one year at -20f with -40 wind chill. Lots of layers, keep face and hands covered, keep moving you were warm. Stop and stand to post a field and freeze in place LOL

In Remembrance
    The only time I ever hunted pheasants was in conditions similar. The pheasants wouldn't flush till you were about to step on them, and the way the wind was blowing, once they came off the ground, they were already flying mor fps than a shotgun was capable of. Just a totally miserable experience, but since I had bought out of state license for my son and I and had just the one day, we stuck it out.

Boolit Master

I shot the other day and it was about 10. I was shaking uncontrollably the entire time. The weather said it was the coldest day of the "polar vortex". I believe it. I was cold for the rest of the day at the house.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Quote Originally Posted by rayinnh View Post
    that's way too cold for this nh boy to shoot.
    hey...you are giving us hardy nh residents a bad name. No such thing as bad weather - just under dressed people.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Not 'sub-zero' but just came back from our range about an hour ago. 28 degrees with 98% humidity...can you say 'rime ice'?...and entire concrete pad of firing line coated with about 1/4" of ice. Fired 20 rounds sighting in a newly installed scope then another 15 loaded with a different boolit to get an idea of change in POI. Even with my Kaufman Sno-Pacs, after the first 20 minutes at the bench, my feet began to feel like I was wading in a super-size Sno-Cone.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Burrrrrrrrrr.

we were -30 a week ago , hit +30 today EVERYBODY is out walkinging, fishing, playing hockey, etc. I smelt some 50ish pounds of wheel weights.
    Its not gonna be this warm again for quite a while

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast