Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastcoInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Screwed the Pooch again! Casting for my 9 MM's

Boolit Master

Screwed the Pooch again! Casting for my 9 MM's

I recently obtained a fantastic mold from our pal in Slovenia, Mihec. This was a grooveless boolit of 130 gr and casts in my mold at .359. I pc's about 500 boolits in Smokes Carolina Blue and they came out perfect.

The the village idiot (me) set up my Dillon XL650 and proceed to load about 50 of these beauties. Did I check the diameter of these boolits..............no! Did I get around to dropping a few of these into my case gauge.....finally did it but was sidetracked by some problems with the press. I had the wrong tube in the press. It should have the brass tip not the plastic one I used. So I was getting upside down primed cases along with a large percentage of sideways primers. I ended up ordering the proper tubes from Dillon and I removed the neat sponge rubber bumpers from the case locating pins.

Now the press at least stopped where it is supposed to stop and I no longer had issues with the casefeeder and when the shellplate stops where it is supposed to priming is a lot easier.

I finally resolved these issues and got around to measuring my boolits. They ranged from .360 to .363 and of course would not fully seat in a case gauge.

Now I have to bust down those faulty rounds and size my boolits properly.

I have a Lee push thru sizer at .357 diameter and I hope that does the trick. I know if I have a cartridge sized at .356 my Browning Mod 35 will choke on them. Has major soot issues on the cases and gums up the action in about 25 rounds. Running fatter boolits stopped that problem.

I the meantime I await the guy in the FED EX truck to bring my brass tips magazine tubes.

Ya know if you do not attend to the details it can all go South pretty fast......

Loading for the 9 MM can be a bear. This is the one that drives me crazy cuz I do not keep good notes detailing problems and their solutions.....New Years Resolution number One.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    Do the rounds chamber in your gun? Unless your gun and the case gauge are exactly the same you might not have a problem.

One of the nice things about powder coating is that it will fatten up skinny bullets. But conversely it will fatten up bullets that are already the correct size or too large.

I had my CZ 75 barrel throated by Doug Guy. Money well spent.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I have an old Ruger 97DC 45ACP that refused to accept cast bullets with any reasonable degree of success until Doug throated it and polished up the ramp. Now it doesn't miss a beat firing bullets from five different moulds. Doug's work would be money well spent at twice his fee. Thank you Doug. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    I have an old Ruger 97DC 45ACP that refused to accept cast bullets with any reasonable degree of success until Doug throated it and polished up the ramp. Now it doesn't miss a beat firing bullets from five different moulds. Doug's work would be money well spent at twice his fee. Thank you Doug. Gp
    Surprising that you were able to load that large of a diameter without scraping all the pcand some extra lead off. You must have a heck of a case expander.

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Handloader109:

Yup the powder thru expansion die by Dillon ain't cheap but I can really dial in the amount of flare that I want on a cartridge case. However there is no easy nor fast way to adjust the die that is why I own a half dozen Dillon Toolheads for my Dillon 550 and I am looking for a bargain before I spring for some for my XL 650.

During the infamous home burglary of 2016 I came up short a set of small base RCBS dies for my beloved Garand in 30-06 along with the Dillon die set. So with the insurance payoff I bought a set from Dillon @ $276.45 or so.

Then at a garage sale I picked up a set of small base dies by RCBS for a song compared to the Dillon's. I jumped all over them at a more reasonable and I plan to return the Dillon set to Scottsdale, AZ. My original plan was to have a Dillon set for the XL650 and a small base set for my Lee Classic Turret press. However the small base set worked so well on the XL 650 with a Lyman "M" expander die in the 3rd station and an Inline Fabrication LED Lighting setup that I no longer planned to utilize the Lee press for this round.

With the strong lighting applied to the top and side of the press I could easily see into the case to verify a correct loading of powder and a powder checking die for the 3rd station was no longer necessary....So I will be going with the RCBS dies and returning the Dillon's. For the life of me I cannot understand why Dillon has priced their 30-06 Dies so proudly. IF they included a precise seating die like Redding with easy to read numerical settings I would have kept them.

I use the Redding seating die on my .223 Rem and it is a pleasure to use if I keep the cases to the correct length with careful trimming. For my 7.62 x 39's I use an inexpensive Lee set of dies with a powder checker die by RCBS.

When I first started to reload I never expected to be loading rifle rounds as I had only one rifle, a .22 LR. But as we all know this hobby is an addiction and I have aquired quite a collection of rifles and handguns since I first started years ago.

I recently did a careful evaluation of all my shooting sports tool, equipment and firearms. This includes careful photo documentation of everything along with noting any and all amounts of funds spent to aquire them. The total amount scares me but suffice to say that my renters policy with a major insurance company has a limit (set by me) at $45,000 and might be increased if I buy another rifle. A Henry lever action is in my sights but I am in a dither as to what caliber. One may not be enuf.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.