MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the Lyman digital thermometer blues

Boolit Master

Got the Lyman digital thermometer blues

I've been wanting a lead thermometer for a while so I got one of the new digital lymans. It worked great in the house but when I went to use it in the lead pot well lets just say it doesn't inspire confidence. According to it molten lead is 200 degrees F yet the heating coils of the space heater in my workshop is 350 degrees. I tried a different battery and that didn't help. Another thing I noticed is the numbers sure do change slow. Anybody else having problems with one of these things? I guess I should have done a little more research. Yes it is connected right and it is set for Fahrenheit not Celsius.

I'll whisper this so nobody thinks I'm ragging on someone...

( CHINA )
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I hear ya loud & clear and I knew that when I bought it but I figured if even I can solder tiny circuit boards a 12 year old kid who does it for a living should be an expert at it.

Ha! I know, but...them kids are experts, they just get distracted sometimes when their shift bosses are beating them on their backs with the sticker bushes to get them to hurry up!

You haveta admit...Chineee' products look pretty good until ya take them outa the packaging!

Boolit Buddy

I got one last year and it works great , it is within 8 deg of being correct, guess I got a good one
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Seems that some of the Lyman thermometers, literally suffer from crossed wires. The polarity of the probe isn't correct.....simple fix is to reverse them.

Winelover

Yep, got one a few months ago and had to take the plug on the probe apart it was wired backwards. Switched them and then it worked great, just wished when I put it in my Lee pot I didn't learn that I've been casting @900° even on the lowest setting.

Quote Originally Posted by autopilotmp View Post
    Yep, got one a few months ago and had to take the plug on the probe apart it was wired backwards. Switched them and then it worked great, just wished when I put it in my Lee pot I didn't learn that I've been casting @900° even on the lowest setting.
    This is an outstanding testimony regarding what accuracy of lack thereof that is found in members statements all over this forum.
    If you are not using an accurate measuring device or 'no' device at all then there is little help to be found in statements regarding our observations of 'details' in our craft.
    If you are measuring exact diameters with the improper tool, then that is another source of disinformation too.
    Statements about 'group accuracy'...again, when someone says accuracy is good. What exactly does that mean since we don't generally see pictures accompanied by notations of yardages or whether or not the group was done off a rest or freehanded...

Personally I think we should strive in 2018 to be more exact in our craft, more diligent in providing empirical evidence to accompany our observations, claims of accomplishment in the loading room or on the range.
    We are not making hand grenades here for general distribution around the beaten zone...quite the contrary, we are trying to achieve excellence in the amateurs manufacturing of a superior ammunition than that which is generally offered in stores.
    Yes...there will always be those that want just a cheap source of 'plinking rounds' where 'close enough' or 'good enough' seems to satisfy but...what keeps me reading all the posts is my continuous search for the facts that I've overlooked over the years...a continuous search for methods to better improve my home constructions whether it be the assembly of j-words or the casting of what I hope to be a superior cast.
    In my estimation there is nothing wrong with with getting things done faster so long as quality does not suffer.
    If we don't strive to improve then we become just another forum full of old boasters and generalizers...our craft is an 'exact science' with plenty of room all around the edges to experiment, test and publish your findings that will improve our craft and help the Newbs to achieve excellence.

Thank you autopilotmp for such an honest and revealing statement.

I don't think this is a rant...it's just some thoughts I've had for a long time through observations made here in forum during the short time I've been here.

c h a r l i e

Boolit Master
    Os ok, ocd?
    Last edited by jdfoxinc; 01-08-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: =$%<8*[ auto correct.

Yes...and proud of it! Mediocre left the shop 60 years ago.

Boolit Master
    A phone call to Lyman will get you a new thermometer.K type thermocouples can be obtained from Amazon among other places.The first one I purchased had a bad thermocouple.Lyman replaced the thermometer and I obtained a new thermocouple for the first one.Both thermometers and the PID on my Mag25 all indicate the same temperature.

OS OK - there for a minute I thought I said something wrong. Getting a thermometer was Just another step in refining the process of casting. Always had frosted boolits and figured this would clue me in a bit. But be careful it's a slippery slope, now I need a PID to control my pot.

In Remembrance

I`m still using the temp gauge with probe from a high pressure boiler we were scraping out about 30 years back. It has a 3" dial face and a 8" probe. It worked correctly then and still is now.Robert

Boolit Master
    Well its Lymans problem now. I took it back to the lgs and apparently they have had a bunch of bad ones.
    So now I'll keep my eyes open for a real thermometer.

Quote Originally Posted by autopilotmp View Post
    OS OK - there for a minute I thought I said something wrong. Getting a thermometer was Just another step in refining the process of casting. Always had frosted boolits and figured this would clue me in a bit. But be careful it's a slippery slope, now I need a PID to control my pot.
    No, not at all...what you said was an honest response to your own surprise that you'd been casting @ 900*F. (prolly even hotter as the pot emptied, these pots will go over 1K*F.) My first thoughts were that I wondered if you have had any problems that the forum has tried to help you with while you were assuming your temp. at 700*F. or thereabouts...something like moulds running too hot or couldn't get the sprues to freeze in 3~5 seconds or finning or an extraordinary amount of oxidized metal in the top of the pot.
    Many, many times I've followed threads when several of us are trying to troubleshoot a problem when the OP is almost deliberately deceptive or really sketchy about the details of his problem and trying to get them to post a decent picture or even post a picture at all was like pulling his teeth. In the end we find out that they don't even use a thermometer or the one they have their not sure about or it's a leading problem and they don't know their bore or cylinder sizes and haven't bothered to measure or they have been using a concoction of lead blend they have no idea about...only assumptions and told to us as factual...get my drift?
    I wish that everyone would put the effort into casting and handloading that only about 1/2 or so really do. Being raised old school, I guess that some of us just see the world differently, apply ourselves and our time differently...have been taught over the years by some really fine mechanics and craftsman who felt obligated to pass along their various crafts. I remember an old maintenance engineer putting his hand over mine as I held the stinger, he said..."Gimme control of your hand" and in the next 4" of welding bead I learned what would have taken me a long time to accomplish on my own. I've always remembered that and all the other things men have taught me about their trades. I've been an electrician all my life but have always wanted to learn about the other trades around me wherever I've been and it has paid off doing that.
    But today when one pays too much attention to detail or strives for excellence it's labeled 'OCD' and snickered at...instead of our shops being places of pride and fine craftsmanship they are most likely unkempt, full of Harbour Freight have a big screen an old easy chair and now are called 'Man Caves'...eeew! sends a chill down my spine.
    True, most look at this business as merely a hobby like collecting stamps or the like but, I say this from decades of observation...If we don't teach others to have the same pride in craftsmanship in loading and casting this too will peter out and be lost as an art.
    I'd hate to see that happen.

c h a r l i e

Boolit Master

Enough returns, complaints, etc., they'll stop selling the **** because it will be unprofitable. It's the only way to deal with it. Returning to the dealer is OK because they'll return it up the chain as well.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

I'm sure the Lyman digital generally works but I took a different approach. Bought a digital VOM that has a temperature scale. A little more expensive and a lot of other uses. The TC they show looks like one of the cheesy little ebay specials that I bought to monitor mould temperature which is fine for that job but the insulation on it isn't something I'd want to get too near my lead pot. Did that once and then I needed another TC!
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Banned
    I quit buying anything Lyman produced less than 10 - 15 years ago. I believe they have gone to outsourcing, their quality control has gone to pot, their warranty almost non existant and customer service (from my experience) poor.
    Lyman thermometers are renowned for being off. the older ones you could twist the head and get it usable.
    Servicing some of my molds and needed new sprue plates. RCBS replaced what I needed free of charge, Lee only charged shipping, Lyman apr $15 shipped.
    The metal of their newer molds must be softer because it wears out where the sprue plate contacts the mold never had that problem with RCBS, Ohaus, Ideal, older Lyman.

I've had one for about a year. It is very close to my manual one. The only issue I have is the digits look crazy( can't read it) until it warms up. It read correctly though.

Boolit Master
    A good thing a lot of the comments above weren't about Lee products.I personally haven't had any problems with Lyman products.I don't comment on Lee products because of the reaction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast