WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: What are you shooting in your 327 Henry

Boolit Man

What are you shooting in your 327 Henry

Received my 20 inch Henry and put 3 rounds of factory 100gr federal through it at 20yds, raised the sight one notch after the first round and the next two went in the one inch bullseye. Put a big loop lever, a Henry scope base and a Burris on it hoping this will be my do all rifle. My first load was 10 rounds of 115gr Hunters supply at .312 over 4.6gr of HP-38/231 and a CCI magnum primer ( I don't believe that primer is needed but the data shows magnum across the board ) with pretty dismal results. After 4 rounds I was out of scope elevation and still an inch low at 20yds with about a two inch group for the remaining rounds. I'm not discouraged by any means but I was hoping this was going to be easy LOL. Anyways I know it's been cold but has anyone worked up some loads that are squirrels head accurate at 50-75 yards. There's not much data on how these rifles shoot cast yet. Also has anyone slugged a bore yet?

Boolit Bub
    I slugged mine and it measured right at .312. I had a scope on it when I first got it and could get squirrels head accuracy out of a Lyman 311316 and an NOE 315318 using 10 grains of 2400 or 6.5 of Power Pistol at 50 yards but they opened up at 75. I did get 100 gr Hornady XTP's to shoot 7 out of 10 into an inch at 75 using Little Gun with 13.5 to 14 grains.

Boolit Master

3.6 grains of W231, Milhec 311-640HP/PB sized at .314, 50/50 beeswax/alox in a .32 H&R case, standard primer. Not overly fast, 1.5 or less at 50 yds. Bore slugged at .312
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Man
    I’m glad the bores are slugging at .312. I don’t have any molds for .32 yet so I’m stuck with what I have on hand. I have some 76gr rnfp at .313 I can try and if all else fails a few hundred Hornady J-words. Weather permitting I can get something to work this weekend.

Boolit Grand Master

I finally got my Henry steel 327 federal carbine, and I love it. I haven't shot it yet, but I did slug the bore. I haven't seen it mentioned, but it is a 5 groove barrel. It's a little tricky, but using the shim stock trick, mine is just over .310", and definitely not .312". I did measure .312" as the biggest point before I realized it is a 5 groove barrel, I wonder if that is what people are seeing? I'd rather not take a chamber casting to see the throat. I will try to drive a slug in just to get an idea. I am a bit disappointed that this rifle won't be able to share ammo easily with my handgun. I haven't played with COAL, but it is not even close to feeding my current handgun ammo at 1.55".
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-22-2018 at 12:59 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I ended up accidentally slugging some of the bore again, and it is just over .310", same as the first time. The throats are large, at least .313" (size of the bullets used to check), I'll have to check with a larger bullet later to see for sure. The throats appear to be a nice smooth cylinder, I'm not sure on length, but they are plenty long for anything shot out of a 327 federal (think revolver throats).

Boolit Grand Master

I found some bullets that are at about .316 un-sized, and got a surprisingly good slug of the throat from one. I got it so the rifling engages about half of the first driving band, and the entire bullet seems to be sized by the throat. The throat itself is big, .3154" to be exact. The thing that stuck out to me was that there is a short rifle style leade at the front. I took a second slug to confirm. It's not as good as a chamber casting, but it tells me what I need to know. I've been sizing all my 327 bullets to .314", and I'm going to continue doing so. I'll be loading some 120gr SWC's this week, although I'll have to crimp them on or over the front driving band for them to cycle in the Henry.

Where do you get the data for the 120 SWC for the 327? do you use the same as the 115 or something close to that.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, I've just been using 115 or 125 gr data, it hasn't been too much of a problem. I'm trying to come up with a .32 "SSK" style GC bullet at about 135-140 grains just for this Henry. That one will be hard to find data for. I just find it odd because 115 or 120 grains seems to be THE size for the 327 federal. 100 grains is light for caliber IMO, but that's most of what you find for load data and factory ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

I did a new run last week of my 120gr SWC, and this is the first time I've used a hard alloy. I've been getting some leading with max loads, so I opted to use Lyman #2, and water quenched. With an unknown alloy, they were coming out 123 grains, which looking back, must have been quite soft. With Lyman #2, they are 116 grains with lube. I loaded up a hundred of those over 5.8 gr Blue dot and seated to 1.5", which meant I was crimping on the front driving band. They seemed to function well enough in the Henry. Accuracy could be better, but It's not bad either. Oddly, the Henry website states the 327 carbine holds 7 rounds. In mine, 9 rounds fit easy in just the mag tube. I shot once at 25, hit a little high, but close, so I went to 50 yards. The next 8 shots went into a group no greater than 2.5" across. Not bad for a first run. I tried at 100, but it was not much of a group. I'm currently working on a GC 140 grain mold, and that pushed with some slow powder like H110 I'm hoping does better. I ran a handful through a Chrony. Through my Ruger LCR, 5.8 gr Blue dot produces right about 900 fps. Through the 16.5" Henry, they are around 1325 fps. I tried to recover a bullet, but they just didn't seem to stick in the frozen ground. On another note, I tried a Lee 170 grain 30 cal bullet in a model 94 30-30. I ran up to 29 gr IMR 30-31, and boy they are not playing around at 1930 fps (chrony from 20" barrel). I shot a 2.5" followed by a 2.75" group at 100 yards with open sights. More testing to follow, but I think that one is a winner.

Not a 327 but my 32-20 Marlin works very well using Lee Liquid Alox to avoid leading. Its a very good grouse head squirrel rifle with moderate loads like Unique or my current use of some old AA1680. I don't know the twist of the 327, but the Marlin is 1-16, Bore diameter is 312. My mold is an old 120 grain Lee 30 cal mold and as cast barely make the bore size, hence the use of the Lee lube, but it shoots well enough that I do not use other bullets. Tried a 98 grain 32 cal pistol bullet and I still go back to the heavier bullet.
    327 should follow similar patterns with cast bullets. My Marlin has not seen a J bullet.

DEP

Boolit Master
    A guy I know told me he uses 9.2 gr. 2400 and a 120 gr. Cast bolt so I tried it, it shoots great and that's what I use now. Have been using 4.2 gr
    231 and the same 120 gr. In my Ruger Single Seven and it makes for a great shooting load. It is real mild in the Henry and the 2400 load roars in the Ruger so have settled on a different load for each.