Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: PTX dies / swaging boolits down when seating

Boolit Buddy

PTX dies / swaging boolits down when seating

Swaging and shaving cast boolits during seating has been an ongoing, unending problem for me using my own cast boolits. My alloy is soft compared to the commercial cast boolits I used to buy which didn't have this issue, I figure mostly because they tend to be 18 Bhn as opposed to mine which are around 10.

I need a powder through expander funnel that will expand, not just flare, but expand my cases. I'll be loading 9mm boolits that are sized .356 and .357, and 45 ACP boolits sized .4525 to .453.

It has to be a powder through expander. I don't have a spare station for an expander only die. Is there anything available that does this?

Boolit Buddy
    NOE had some , but, were only comatible with Lee powder system, and dont seem to be listed on their site anymore. I assume you are loading with a Hornady PM case activated? I had a LNL and have moved to a Pro2000. The RCBS powder thru expanders work in both the uniflow and Hornady case operated powder measures. I have 9, 357, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt expanders if you want me to measure them. Checked the 45 ACP expander and it is .450 and the bottom of the expander and .455 and the M die style step at the top prior to the angled flare.

Boolit Master
    Lyman makes a powder through expander that is threaded on top to take a powder measure. The inserts are m-die style and works well. It is called the multi-expand charge die system and has most of the expander included one would need.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2011redrider View Post
    NOE had some , but, were only comatible with Lee powder system, and dont seem to be listed on their site anymore. I assume you are loading with a Hornady PM case activated? I had a LNL and have moved to a Pro2000. The RCBS powder thru expanders work in both the uniflow and Hornady case operated powder measures. I have 9, 357, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt expanders if you want me to measure them. Checked the 45 ACP expander and it is .450 and the bottom of the expander and .455 and the M die style step at the top prior to the angled flare.
    I have an RCBS Uniflow and a Hornady LnL PM, and the case activated linkage for both. I can go either way.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    Lyman makes a powder through expander that is threaded on top to take a powder measure. The inserts are m-die style and works well. It is called the multi-expand charge die system and has most of the expander included one would need.
    Thanks I'll look into this.

Boolit Buddy

I use Hornady Lock & Load press, 5 station, with the PTX Powder Dispenser.
    I cast & load: 9mm, 45 ACP, 380 ACP, 38 Wad cutters and 357 Semi wad cutters.
    Works great.

Boolit Master

Manufacturers size their dies as if everyone is using jacketed bullets,thus the neck expander is undersize for "fat" cast boolits. There are some vendors that make custom dies which may be the route you will have to go.

Boolit Buddy
    I was having the same issue, and first started using the Lee universal expanding die after the Hornady powder drop. It worked fine, but I didn't like giving up the slot in the press, so I bought a tapered, universal PTX from C-Bar. http://www.cbararmory.com/apps/webstore/ Works like a champ, and I got a station back.

Boolit Buddy
    Tried a previous universal expander, but, like this one it only flares the neck and no expanding. The RCBS expands and puts a m die type step and charges the case like the ptx, and also has a flare portion if you adjust it that deep.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are using the Lee ptx, you could get a different caliber insert for 9mm. I'm issuing a 38 S&W insert to flat and expand 9mm cases. No shaving and no swaging. Plus it only cost me shipping from Lee