Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 38 S & W Special CTG - When was it born?

Boolit Man

38 S & W Special CTG - When was it born?

The serial # of the gun in the attached picture is 396xxx, it works properly and it's in fair to good condition. It is believed to be a S&W Model 1905, but I don't know for sure, I'm not a wheel-gun guy. I'm helping my bro-in-law catalogue his stuff to sell as his health is uncertain.

My primary concerns are: 1) have I got the right model? and 2) what is it's approximate range of value for sale in an arm's length transaction?

Thanks for time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2600.JPG  
    Last edited by SteveK; 02-02-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Because freedom isn't free....

Super Moderator

Please don't make any offers to buy on this thread guys.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    With no letter prefix before the serial number, it dates the gun before 1927, but there is no reliable online record for early S&W serial numbers, so it's hard to reliably date it further. Condition is everything, a near-pristine collector-grade gun would run over $1000, whereas one with obvious wear and having mechanical issues would go for more than a few hundred. I expect yours is somewhere in the middle, if that helps any.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    What is the latest patent date?? Should be on the barrel, probably on top. If it's later than 1920 it will be a 1905, 4th change. If the grips are OEM to the gun then the gun is a 1920-1930 or there about. In the 1920's S&W stopped putting a S&W medallion in the grips. Then started doing it again in '31 or so. I have 3 S&W revolvers that fit in that calendar time frame.

Boolit Buddy
    I pegged it as a 1903-1904 production .38 Hand Ejector from the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson. Looks like we're all over the place. It is a very desirable and dare I say rare, M&P Target.

To the OP, are the front and back straps grooved or smooth?
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Also to the OP, also look at the locking bolt notches in the cylinder.

Do they have hardened steel shims fitted into them to prevent peening?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    That there according to the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, is a Target Military and Police model of 1905, 4th change, made from 1915 to 1941 and serial numbers running from 271,784 up to 1,000,000. They don't list serial numbers by year, but serial number 500,000 was shipped in 1927. Heat-treated cylinders began to be used cerca serial number 316,648 in 1919, so best guess on this gun would be early 1920's. I would guess the value to be in the 1200-1800 range, but I haven't seen one of these for sale in years, so take that with a grain of salt. The similar 22 Outdoorsman that came along in the 1930's goes for 2,000 in very good condition, or at least that was the asking price for the last one I saw for sale.
    Because the Target model was numbered with the standard M&P's, there does not seem to be an accurate total on the number of them made, but I would guess that no more than 30,000 were made, just based on what I've seen at various gun shows over the years.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 02-02-2018 at 03:22 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Please don't make any offers to buy on this thread guys.
    Please do not misunderstand me. I am not selling this firearm. I have no intention or authority to sell anything. This is just to catalogue the item for the owner's use.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I pegged it as a 1903-1904 production .38 Hand Ejector from the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson. Looks like we're all over the place. It is a very desirable and dare I say rare, M&P Target.

To the OP, are the front and back straps grooved or smooth?
    They are quite smooth.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Also to the OP, also look at the locking bolt notches in the cylinder.

Do they have hardened steel shims fitted into them to prevent peening?
    No clue.... Could you dumb that down for me?

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    That there according to the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, is a Target Military and Police model of 1905, 4th change, made from 1915 to 1941 and serial numbers running from 271,784 up to 1,000,000. They don't list serial numbers by year, but serial number 500,000 was shipped in 1927. Heat-treated cylinders began to be used cerca serial number 316,648 in 1919, so best guess on this gun would be early 1920's. I would guess the value to be in the 1200-1800 range, but I haven't seen one of these for sale in years, so take that with a grain of salt. The similar 22 Outdoorsman that came along in the 1930's goes for 2,000 in very good condition, or at least that was the asking price for the last one I saw for sale.
    Because the Target model was numbered with the standard M&P's, there does not seem to be an accurate total on the number of them made, but I would guess that no more than 30,000 were made, just based on what I've seen at various gun shows over the years.
    That is fascinating! Thanks for your reply.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    What is the latest patent date?? Should be on the barrel, probably on top. If it's later than 1920 it will be a 1905, 4th change. If the grips are OEM to the gun then the gun is a 1920-1930 or there about. In the 1920's S&W stopped putting a S&W medallion in the grips. Then started doing it again in '31 or so. I have 3 S&W revolvers that fit in that calendar time frame.
    The last patent date on the bbl is DEC.29.14. I presume the grips are OEM but we know very little about this gun.

An interesting side-observation about the piece is that the right grip's checkering has been significantly worn down which to me suggests it was holstered on the left hip, most likely by someone in law enforcement I would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    No clue.... Could you dumb that down for me?
    On some early S&Ws the locking bolt notches were shimmed with a contrasting, harder metal on the flat side of the notch opposite the lead-in track. The early "Registered" .357s for instance. Purpose was to prevent beating up the locking bolt notches from cylinder backspin in heavy loads. Guns with this feature are rare and collectible. While most common in early .357s there were some .38 Specials and .32-20s made this way 1920s-30s
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    An interesting side-observation about the piece is that the right grip's checkering has been significantly worn down which to me suggests it was holstered on the left hip, most likely by someone in law enforcement I would guess.
    Or--the revolver was holstered on the right hip, and its user rolled around on the ground/asphalt/concrete with a client or two during misunderstandings that went physical. Another good reason to equip a service roller with Pachmayr or Hogue neoprene grip sets--OEM or replacement wooden grip sets are getting VERY pricey of late, and if something is going to get dinged up I prefer it to be affordable & utilitarian.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I would like to shoot that revolver. It is nice. 3gr. Bullseye under a 158gr. SWC.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I would like to shoot that revolver. It is nice. 3gr. Bullseye under a 158gr. SWC.
    That is exactly the load I always used in my .38 Specials, best all around load.

There was an S&W company approved book at the local library years ago that had pretty much all the serial number ranges by date. Haven't seen a similar online source yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Problem with dating Pre-war Smiths was that in the case of high-demand guns, they would run off a batch of frames and then assemble them as sales required. And they were allegedly none too particular about always grabbing "next."
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    My guess is around 1925-1930. The M&P Targets are really well made and fine shooters. I'll hazard worth $500-600 in very good condition. Over a grand if pristine in box. They are a lot of quality for the money and haven't gone crazy in price like some other Smiths.