Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "I don't get no respect." Good guns with overlooked virtues

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I would say anything in .32 ACP, .32 S&W Long, .38 S&W.

Bad-mouthed and disparaged, but still utilitarian and useful. Great small game guns which could and would be pressed into the HD role if that's all I had at the time.

Obligatory "eye candy"

Attachment 211373Attachment 211376Attachment 211377Attachment 211386
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Attachment 211388 Here is my no respect gun (one of them). but I wouldn't sell it for love or money. A little 32 Long Hand Ejector that shoots cast better than I can hold it. Perfect bore and bought from a guy who was raising $ for a magnum. $225 and it went home with me.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Nice one Murf.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I have never herd anyone bad mouth a S&W m10. It was probably the most issued revolver in the
    world for law enforcement. The design was also the most trouble free and better than Colt PPs
    that would have been their competitor at the time. Simple to operate and durable. It is a service
    gun not a target pistol but I have never seen one that wasn't reasonably accurate. I have owned
    dozens of them, all used and never had a bad one. You can argue over 38sp but compared to 9mm
    what is the beef other than its not 17 shot. The 10 is a first rate revolver that I wouldn't be afraid
    to depend on. I don't own a 10 presently but have several 17s, 18s, 14s & 19s which are basically
    the same gun with adjustable sights in 22-38-357. They are Cadillacs of American D/A revolvers.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Biggest problem with the .38 Special was, and is, when ammo companies try to turn it into a .357 or 9mm. Meaning, ultralight bullets at high velocity. It's hard to do this effectively while staying within +P pressure specs. Usually they try to pull this off with a flimsy JHP that has the sectional density of a pillow. In the 6-8" test barrel the ammo companies use, this might work but not in the 2-4" barrel that most .38 Specials are fired from nowadays. These high pressure loads also have a habit of stretching frames and bending cranes.

I think the best approach with this cartridge is to quit trying to make it into something it is not and take advantage of the inherent virtues of the .38 Special. Meaning excellent accuracy, mild recoil and muzzle blast, ability to fire a very heavy for caliber boolit. The FBI load with a 158 grain lead hollow point at 850 fps has long been seen as the gold standard for this round, however I see no reason why a semi-wadcutter or flat point at lower velocity couldn't also produce good results. Even sedate full wadcutters fired from snubnose revolvers show comparable or even better penetration than +P hollow points, and are much easier to shoot.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'd agree with Ferguson here - I LIKE the M&P 10 as a weapon, the 38 Special beats many rounds for SD but it's not a 12 Gauge in terms of power - So use that accuracy in your favor. (Better yet, keep from needing it by not walking in downtown large cities at 2 am!)

Boolit Master
    I will probably get whacked upside the head by many on here, but I had a Taurus Ultralight in 38 special years ago. I ended up trading it off, but it was a fine little revolver and If I ever run across another for 250 dollars, I will have another.

Boolit Master

I love my Victory model .38 sp Smith. I call it the "radar gun". Most accurate revolver I've ever fired. And I have one of the Heritage .22 S.A.s. Out of the box, I couldn't keep 3/6 on paper at 21 feet! Sent it back to the factory. They replaced a BAD barrel. Now it keeps them all in the black at 25 yards! Things like that can give any gun a bad reputation.

I nearly bought a very nice S&W 10-5 at a show a couple weekends ago, and I would have had I not ended up with a Marlin 1895G....I have a few other Smith's and I would really like a basic model 10 "just because."

As mentioned also, the .32acp deserves more credit than it receives. I carry a little Kel-Tec P32 everywhere I go. I've had a couple of the micro .380's and was never satisfied with the accuracy, the .32 is a different story. I'm amazed every time I shoot this little thing!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    I will probably get whacked upside the head by many on here, but I had a Taurus Ultralight in 38 special years ago. I ended up trading it off, but it was a fine little revolver and If I ever run across another for 250 dollars, I will have another.
    You do know that right now you can get a new Taurus .38 for under $250.00, right? My local shop has 'em in stock.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    Last year I picked up a very inexpensive used current-manufacture Taurus 85, with the yuck parkerized-ish finish and the strange rubber stocks with bull image. It looked very ugly compared with old-manufacture models with nice wood and bluing. BUT, the ugly stocks fit my hand, the action was smooth, the gap was small, velocities were high---everything worked great. I sold it because I couldn't stand looking at it; but it worked great.

Boolit Grand Master

Star Model PS 45 acp. Mine was stolen in 1990 and I still miss it.
    No grip safety , pivoting trigger (like a revolver) , exposed extractor and would out shoot a Colt Commander and Gold Cup. It did have a magazine disconnect but that never bothered me. I really like the no grip safety feature .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

You mean the Star PD, right?
    You are correct on them being an exceptional pistol. Mine would shoot right alongside anybody's Colt AND eat ammo they would choke on!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Many of my favorites have appeared above.

I had occasion to place a S&W Model 10 derivative to good use in August 1981 at work. There are VERY GOOD reasons why the 38 Special remained a police & security favorite for 80+ years--the caliber and its platforms did an awful lot of things very darn well. My career field became suddenly enamored with the bottom-feeders c. 1985, but one persistent problem with those fat-magazine stutterguns that remains unaddressed is how perishable the skill set is that enables such systems to be superior to the D/A revolver--and how enduring revolver skill sets remain through time. I don't have a firm answer to that question.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    CZ70 in .32ACP. I really liked that one, but traded it for a S&W 19 police trade in.....which I ended up walking out of that shop with cash in hand.....

The CZ was very well used, shot like heaven, and carried very nicely. I thought I needed a magnum, and the opportunity presented itself. The M19 was a very good revolver, so I came out "somewhat" even, but still.....
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba w/a 45/70 View Post
    CZ70 in .32ACP. I really liked that one, but traded it for a S&W 19 police trade in.....which I ended up walking out of that shop with cash in hand.....

The CZ was very well used, shot like heaven, and carried very nicely. I thought I needed a magnum, and the opportunity presented itself. The M19 was a very good revolver, so I came out "somewhat" even, but still.....
    You're coming out more "even" every day on that trade

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I beg to disagree 500Linebaughbuck.
    Any Remington Rolling Block gets nothing but respect from me.

I would love to have one, they tend to be above my price range other than parts missing turkeys.

Dang nice example .50-70 in a pistol. SWEET condition.

Banned

I agree with the smith 38 opinion but make mine a 15. I shoot a lot of 38s and many different levels of load and bullet designs and adjustable sights are worth the few bucks more a 15 cost over a 10. I also agree with the guys opinions on the 25acp. Some would have you think they will bounce off a man. I had a little berretta and with factory ammo using gold dots it would punch through 3/8s plywood which is a bit thicker then my skin!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I beg to disagree 500Linebaughbuck.
    Any Remington Rolling Block gets nothing but respect from me.

I would love to have one, they tend to be above my price range other than parts missing turkeys.

Dang nice example .50-70 in a pistol. SWEET condition.

i would love to have one too!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast