Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "I don't get no respect." Good guns with overlooked virtues

I would have to agree that the S&W Model 10 is a very capable revolver. I would have no problems defending my property with one. I have a Colt Official Police .38 Spcl. which would be the M10's equivalent that I love dearly. Someday I'll come across a S&W M10, But I do have a S&W Model 12-2 which I carry occasionally. (My wife bought it for a birthday present 4 years ago for me,she paid only $170.00 and it's very nice. She's good.)I am also comfortable with.32's. I have a S&W 30-1 .32 S&W L (w/original box and paperwork),Colt Police Positive .32 New Police Ctg.,Colt Police Positive Special .32-20,and a Walther PP 7.65 Browning (w/original box and paperwork). I occasionally carry each of these. The Walther in particular is a very nice shooter. At 7 yards I can place all 7 rds. in a group the size of a walnut from a draw.I also have a PP in 9mm Kurz (w/original box and paperwork). Both Walther's are 1960's Interarms imports.Opp's I almost forgot the Ruger Single Six .32 H&R Mag. It is fantastic.

Banned
    You'll never hear me say anything bad about the S&W Model 10. Some uninformed folks may not give it the respect it deserves but that doesn't mean much.
    Along that same revolver line, about 32 years ago an acquaintance of mine went to work for a police department. They issued him a Ruger Service-Six. He complained that it was so old that it rattled. I looked at the gun and it was about 5 years old and in pristine condition. The "rattling" sound was from the cartridges in the cylinder. I told him that gun would work just fine and not to worry.

As for other guns that get no respect (and deserve a lot); The H&R "topper" single shot model 158 shotguns, the Winchester model 37 shotguns, almost any old Remington .22 bolt action rifle, the Taurus model 85 revolver and the Charter Arms Undercover and the Colt 1903 pistol.

Banned
    Oh, and the H&R revolvers in .22 and .32 !!

Quote Originally Posted by maxreloader View Post
    Unless this is a revolver-only thread I'll enter the Winchester Model 1910 (401wsl/sl)
    I second this!

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    You'll never hear me say anything bad about the S&W Model 10. Some uninformed folks may not give it the respect it deserves but that doesn't mean much.
    Along that same revolver line, about 32 years ago an acquaintance of mine went to work for a police department. They issued him a Ruger Service-Six. He complained that it was so old that it rattled. I looked at the gun and it was about 5 years old and in pristine condition. The "rattling" sound was from the cartridges in the cylinder. I told him that gun would work just fine and not to worry.

As for other guns that get no respect (and deserve a lot); The H&R "topper" single shot model 158 shotguns, the Winchester model 37 shotguns, almost any old Remington .22 bolt action rifle, the Taurus model 85 revolver and the Charter Arms Undercover and the Colt 1903 pistol.
    I have a 200th Anniversary Ruger Security Six Stainless 6"bbl. It is a great gun. Very accurate, and handles better than a GP100. Although I'd take a GP100 in .44 Spcl. I can't understand why people don't like them.

Boolit Bub
    My cousin gave me a Jennings. 22. I was surprised at how accurate it is. Once I got the diet worked out, it has become a favorite toy.

The Astra 300, 400, and 600 may be ugly, but they are dependable and very accurate and built every bit as well as any pistol ever. The machining on them is amazing. All the Star pistols are great as well. The Argentine Ballester- Molina and 1927 FMAP .45s are great, too.

I was at a gun auction several years ago. The Brady Bill was still in effect. This put a damper on
    sales of low end guns. People didn't want to pay $50 for a gun and pay Brady Fee. I started
    buying up low end handguns for trading stock, especially 22s. I always checked these guns out
    for function and safety before dealing them. I got a Unique m52 22 pistol. It was ugly and heavy.
    I was amazed at the accuracy, it was minute of pop can at 25' functioned smoothly and shot any
    ammo you put in it. I kept it several years for my beater 22. I only got rid of it because I aggravated myself carrying it when I had a dozen top shelf 22 handguns.

Banned
    I'll second the Star pistols.

I picked up a cheap Star Super B (1972 manufacture) and after a little work it turned out to be a great 9mm pistol.

Boolit Master
    Might as well throw the Colt Army Special/Official Police in to the mix. It and the Model 10 are in pretty much the same boat. My 1917 Army Special had been carried for who knows how many years, and still shoots and works beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    Might as well throw the Colt Army Special/Official Police in to the mix. It and the Model 10 are in pretty much the same boat. My 1917 Army Special had been carried for who knows how many years, and still shoots and works beautifully.
    Same goes for my 1914 Army Special .32-20. It is my every day carry ranch revolver. Wonderful gun and built stout while other guns were still flinching at black powder pressures.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    Own three Jennings 22s, only one spits out bullets straight. Fun little guns though!��

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Those Ravens were good guns for how little they cost. A lot of coppers used them as backups, and they provided cheap protection to many who couldn't afford anything else.
    My wife has a JA380, and a JA22, as well as a CF380. The three of those guns have never failed to feed, fire, and function through boxes of ammo. Her new Glock 22 broke on the 10 round of factory ammo. She still owns the Saturday night specials, and the Glock was sold after Glock replaced the frame.

My FIE E15 took 30 years, and bricks of ammo before it finally broke a pawl. Heritage pawl replacement and it is still shooting.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3754.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	211959 S&W 39-2
    Here's another dandy that got a rough reception back in the day. It is a DA/SA, so it was the answer to a question that no one asked. It only held 8 in the magazine, so it didn't qualify as a wonder nine. It had a magazine disconnect, so if you lost a magazine, you had an unwieldy club. Despite all that, it was my personal weapon for several years as an alarm response agent and my home defense choice when my children were small. I removed the magazine and put it in one place, while the pistol lay under a hat on the top shelf in my closet. If something went bump in the night, it was only a few seconds longer to locate the mag and shove it home than it was to find the gun in the first place. And the knowledge that between the mag safety and thumb safety, even should my inquisitive and smart daughters climb up and get the pistol, they still wouldn't make a horrific, fatal error. Although I can't quite shoot it as well as a 38 of comparable size, it is still plenty accurate enough to deal with most any real world problem that comes along.
    This gun has several thousand rounds through it and still shoots well.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I've had a bunch of J-22 and JA-22 pistols. All of them were surprisingly accurate, at least as much as any other short barrel .22 I've tried. Biggest problem with these things is non-functional extractors. The hook isn't sharp enough or misshapen, the recess in the chamber isn't deep enough, or the extractor spring has no tension. Also, the OEM mags are pretty sorry: horrendously cheap and no aftermarket alternative. Fortunately you can usually tweek the feed lips enough to get them to work.

I'm a big fan of cheap guns that work really well. The price of inexpensive but not cheap guns like Taurus, Kel-Tec, and even Ruger has come down to the point that they have eaten up most of the market share which formerly was Saturday Night Special territory.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

My buddy keeps trying to convince me to daily carry my .32 S&W-L 3in. Hand Ejector I Frame. Those little guys get very little respect, but were the mainstay of defense for decades before folks found out you need 20 rounds in a magazine or that you had to have a super magnum.

I may just start to carry it.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I am quickly turning into a big fan of the lowly .32SW Long cartridge.

Brass is not expensive, thrifty on lead and powder, easy to load, fun to shoot.

I found a pair of speed loaders for my little H&R 733 nickle and 732 blued revolvers.
    Nickie and Blackie just kind of acquired their names quickly, wiggled right into my heart.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Very nice! An ancient hand ejector with peeling nickel and questionable timing in .32 S&W Long was the first handgun I ever fired. For some reason, every time I fire the .32 S&W Long it feels more powerful than ballistics would suggest.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the S&W "I" frame 32 revolvers. A friend has 2 of these that I am trying to buy from him. One is faded, light pitting, action won't cycle, either the hammer or trigger stud is about to fall out (these are threaded into the frame), and generally looks like a basket case. The other one looks almost unfired. Go figure. We have been talking on and off on this sale for about 5 years with nothing more than talk being accomplished. I already have a 32 "I" frame, 4" barrel and shows carry wear but functions correctly. With one better and one worse in the offering, they would look like 3 generations of the same family if laid side to side.

Boolit Master

I hardly ever see anything written about my favorite carry revolver for the hot weather we enjoy here in Las Vegas. I have a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug 2.5" bbl, blued, no hammer spur but can be single action if wanted, Barami hip clip grips in .44 S&W Special.

This has an alloy frame with steel bbl and cylinder of 5 shots. With the plastic hip clip grips I can carry this under a tee shirt and it will not print yet it is available now! Normally I carry it with Hornady 185 Gr jacketed hollow point ammo and this round runs about 975 FPS. The recoil with this light weight slug is very manageable. Bumping up to a 240 gr LSWC hollow point (Thanks Mihec) over a charge of Unique powder of anywhere from 4.0 to 5.4 gr gets you a very powerful and effective self defense round.

However you have to pay for it. The recoil at 4 gr is more than the Horndady 185 gr but light enuf to not slow down in rapid fire. As you go up the ladder it gets worse. At 6 gr you will not want to finish off a cylinder full. It hurts! At 5.4 gr you can handle it and get a decent score but your grip must be perfect and you must focus intently.

I do not use my reloads for street carry as to do so might invite another some nasty questions from a lawyer which I do not like giving any quarter to when it is my butt that might end up behind bars.

This is an overlooked revolver and you hardly see anything written about it. It is accurate, light, dependable and inexpensive. I bought mine offa Auction Arms for about $200. The ballistics are nothing to sneeze at and I feel well armed when out of the house. It is a proven killer, just ask David Berkowitz (Son of Sam).
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast