RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: A Federal SP alternative?

Boolit Mold

A Federal SP alternative?

Those of us using Federal SP primers know they continue to be in very short supply. They're about the only reloading component that hasn't recovered since Sandy Hook. Hard to believe, but that was over 5 years ago.

So is there anything out there that fills the gap? Everything I've read to date indicates Winchester is the next "most sensitive" (which is a nebulous term in itself). But my Lee Pro 1000 refuses to properly feed the latest version of WSP (dull brass primer cup).

[Side note: My Lee Pro 1000 doesn't feed any primer well - but the WSPs are a nightmare.]

I've run plenty of CCI. Nothing wrong with them, other than they give unreliable ignition in lightly-sprung DA target revolvers.

Thoughts?

dogfood

dogfood I have been using S&B small pistol primers with great results. I have a Taurus PT92C that has a problem with light strikes and CCI primers. I was using Winchester but they are harder to come by than the S&B and are also about $5.00 per thousand more. Our local Cabela's seems to always have the S&B primers on the shelf.

Both the S&B and Winchester feed reliably thru my Pro1000 and I've put almost 3000 of them thru it. Also the S&B cups seem to be even softer than the Winchesters.

I have never used S&B primers, so I can't speak to them. I have never found a reliable alternative to Federal SP primers to be used in lightly sprung handguns.

Boolit Master
    A few years ago I did some primer testing to see what it took to set off a primer (screen-door springs pulled back with a fish de-liar). The Federal did take significantly less strike than any other I tested. Winchester was next but not much easier to set off than CCI. But at that time I hadn't even heard of S&B primers so those were not tested. Maybe worth a try?

I might mention that Remington primers took a much greater strike than anything else, but most of us already knew about that...

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I wonder, are Federal magnum small pistol primers as soft as the regular ones? They are occasionally in stock around here. I'm transitioning to nothing but magnum primers in .38 Special. They seem to help with all the empty space in the shell and are usually in stock around here.

I can't bring myself to trust Remington small pistol primers anymore, too many hard ones. Those I still have are going to be fed to my Marlin 1894 .357 as it eats anything.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I have no proof other than what I have experienced with my 3 guns of which one I know has a soft spring and has trouble with CCI Primers. I am just about thru my second k of the S&B small pistol primers and I know I will be buying them again.

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I have no proof other than what I have experienced with my 3 guns of which one I know has a soft spring and has trouble with CCI Primers. I am just about thru my second k of the S&B small pistol primers and I know I will be buying them again.
    Thanks, good to know. I'll give them a try when I run out of Federal, which only get used for loading 9MM's used in my IDPA gun.

Boolit Master
    I have found that Federals have become easy to get in the last year. Now I had to buy them on the internet. Cabelas will let you back order and they filled my order of 15k primers within a few months. I’ve had other suppliers recently email me that they had Federals in stock.

I have also seen plenty at my local gun show in the past six months.

Be diligent in your search and you will succeed.

Good luck
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

MagTech primers are approximately the same sensitivity as Federal Small Pistol primers. They used to be plentiful, and I've still got about 15,000 of them in stock, but I haven't seen any recently. I use the Federal and MagTech primers interchangeably for our match tuned firearms, and have yet to have a misfire with either one.

I've also loaded about 20,000 of the S&B primers, and I like them, but they're not loaded for the match tuned guns. I've only used them in 9x19 and .380 calibers, and have had no failures with them, either.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Fiocchi might be another brand to look at. I can only compare them to CCI, though. They are definitely more sensitive than CCI, and never had a problem with them. I don't have a Pro 1000 to judge their performance there.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Master
    With my light DA trigger, it is very sensitive to primers. First of all, with proper seated primers, I've found;

Federal SP and SPM to have the same sensitivity with only 10-15 fps difference. Now my buddy with the super light Revolver trigger says SPM are harder to ignite. The SPM are on sale at Natchez with free shipping for the next few days.

Fiocchi's are the next softest

Winchesters next

S&B and Remington are hard

No CCI's for me

Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    Fiocchi's are the next softest

Winchesters next

S&B and Remington are hard
    Sorry but I have to disagree. I find the S&B primer cups to be very soft. I have seen deformations and dents in the cup just from seating them which is something I have never seen using any other primers.

Boolit Master
    I've never used Federals so can't do a direct comparison to the S&B's but in my revolvers shooting double action I've shot a few thousand with no failures. The only others I have used are CCI's, the worst, Winchesters, not bad, and S&B's. I've used a few hundred Remington's with no problems, but only in my semi auto 9mm's.

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in my PPC shooting days with a super tuned full custom K-frame gun shot double action, I made every effort to get Federal SPPs and to be honest I can't remember (since it's been over 20 years ago) that I ever had to switch off, but I do remember that I ran low and had to scramble for them even back then (when the price went up to about $7/ thousand) and we took it as a given that Federals were worth the search. With everything else I've ever loaded, I've been a lot more relaxed about what primers I use, and for the 32s and 38s I load now I've been using a lot of Winchester. For LPP and LRP it's been about exclusively Winchester for about as long as I can remember.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Sorry but I have to disagree. I find the S&B primer cups to be very soft. I have seen deformations and dents in the cup just from seating them which is something I have never seen using any other primers.
    I have seen this as well; although the only other primers I've used have been Winchester, the S&B cups distort far more easily if I use excessive force or if there is some issue with seating.

In limited testing between S&B and Win primers, I have obtained extraordinary accuracy with S&B.
    I can't say if they provide more accuracy than the competing brands, just that they are certainly /not/ substandard in this regard.

Boolit Grand Master

Check your local dealers, I went by one a few weeks ago to buy whatever brand he had in stock
    ( Primer brand became a non issue during the shortage...I will take whatever I can get) He had such a big supply of Federals they were on Sale....they were cheaper than the others not on sale.
    I walked out with 2000 small pistol simply because of the price....I wasn't looking for Federal , I've never even used them before this. Possibly the supply is now better.
    Ask your local dealer to order a supply for you .
    If push comes to shove you can always hand prime or prime off press. If your Lee 1000 won't feed primers ...find another way to get the cases primed... always more than one way to skin squirrels.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Check your local dealers,
    I could only wish. Know about every dealer within a 40mi. radius and only 2 carry any type of reloading supplies. One only stocks Small Pistol Magnum primers and the other is so high I could order online and pay the hazmat fees and be even up. Other than that it leaves Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's and BPS doesn't sell by the brick..

Boolit Grand Master
    As with a few other items, I use Gun Shows as my source for primers. Dealers there are apparently more responsive to the market... they do go up in price faster, but availability and price seem to improve there more rapidly as well. A lot of these dealers (the "professional" ones) seem to depend on rapid turnover rather than maintaining inventory, so they adjust to market realities more quickly. Alternatively, if you can find a little shop in the boonies with old stock that hasn't had a price adjustment in 10 years+, well, you'd better just snap them up!

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may."

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"