Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printed collator parts ?

Banned

Printed collator parts ?

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to make printed bullet or case collators from scratch.

If there have been some testing, check out grabcad or any other dad library's. Just search for lee reloading and see what pops up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have made a number of collators, both case and bullet, don’t have a 3D printer though.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Might be able to make those from laser cut parts too, hmmm

I mentioned this in my 3D printer post - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-a-3D-printer. It's from thingyverse (so not mine). It's not as big as the Lee, but works fine for my needs.

Boolit Master
    My son bought one before Christmas. How does one duplicate a part to print? I'm talking about printing the LNL case feeder pivot and maybe a little different than the original.

You have to design it using 3D software to produce an .STL file which you then convert using a slicer programme to an .OBJ file which is what the printer uses.
    Unless you happen to own a very expensive bit of 3D scanning gear, in which case you can leave out the design part!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    You have to design it using 3D software to produce an .STL file which you then convert using a slicer programme to an .OBJ file which is what the printer uses.
    Unless you happen to own a very expensive bit of 3D scanning gear, in which case you can leave out the design part!
    Oh is that all

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    Oh is that all
    I'm probably too old to try to make something from a printed machine. Does anyone make a bullet collator kit?

There was a kit out there but it was an infringement on a patent and once lawyers got involved they quit making them.

I make mine from 6” pvc pipe and 1/2 in plastic. The first photo are two of the fixtures I used to get the spacing, drill one hole then index it to the bolt and continue until your all the way around.

The other two photos are the key. If the bullet is base down it rides over the slot and drop out the hole into the feeder. If it’s nose down the smaller diameter falls into the slot and drags the tip out, laying the bullet down. The. The ramp cut into the side of the pvc flips it back up base down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A7450C6F-822B-4965-8842-20940FD0A747.jpg   C55483E5-B59F-4940-AF78-287DCAAC1C8B.jpg   5D767BBA-B851-4969-B12C-98714962DCD1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    Oh is that all
    That "smiley" is probably my favourite, as I can relate to it quite well!
    It's actually not as bad as I made it out, the "hard" part is creating the design in a 3D format, the other bits are pretty easy. I'm sure if your son put his mind to it he could work it out, as we all know how well kids and computers get on.

This one is a similar concept to the entirelycrimson bullet feeder that they stopped making.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/qu...motor.1688127/

A base plate and wheel with a wrap for the sides.

I'm new to the 3d printer game. But have found it quite usefull for parts.

However there's a learning curve.

The cheaper you get the more work they take.

You can get them as low as 130 bucks on up. Great tinker toys.

Pla or. Pegt for parts pegt is the better version as it's stronger and dose not have the draw back of abs. It also dose not shrink like abs.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    That "smiley" is probably my favourite, as I can relate to it quite well!
    It's actually not as bad as I made it out, the "hard" part is creating the design in a 3D format, the other bits are pretty easy. I'm sure if your son put his mind to it he could work it out, as we all know how well kids and computers get on.
    Well he's 34 but is a pretty smart guy with this stuff. We just have to get some time as its -30 here and both really busy. I'm not sure what brand though it is a Chinese one that cost $300 or so.

Which brand doesn't matter much. Once they're set up properly they should all pretty much do he same thing.

If you are talking about a motorized one, as per JM's, then I wouldn't bother with trying to use a 3D printer as it would be much simpler to make one from the right "bits, pieces and scrap".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    There was a kit out there but it was an infringement on a patent and once lawyers got involved they quit making them.

I make mine from 6” pvc pipe and 1/2 in plastic. The first photo are two of the fixtures I used to get the spacing, drill one hole then index it to the bolt and continue until your all the way around.

The other two photos are the key. If the bullet is base down it rides over the slot and drop out the hole into the feeder. If it’s nose down the smaller diameter falls into the slot and drags the tip out, laying the bullet down. The. The ramp cut into the side of the pvc flips it back up base down.
    I have reviewed the concept but unfortunately I don't own a router, drill, mill, or lathe. We have a mill and lathe at the shop but the boss won't let me use it to make something for myself.

I suppose there is nothing that would stop you from “printing” one, the hard part is “make one myself” without tools. With a 3D printer and knowledge of how to 3D cad and you are in business.

Only proviso would be the maximum size that the printer can print (for example mine is limited to 200mmx200mmx200mm).

I guess if you lack any tools that can do the job, the best thing to make at that point is money and go buy the product you want or tools.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I guess if you lack any tools that can do the job, the best thing to make at that point is money and go buy the product you want or tools.
    Probably better to buy the tools than to buy the product. Thinking about a bench top mill and a decent vice for it and then I can make the collator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast