MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: 458 Socom Boolits

Boolit Mold

458 Socom Boolits

What is everyone casting for 458 Socom? I recently put an AR together and have been playing with jacketed 4570 bullets , however I would like to cast for it. I have a Lee 340gr mold coming and some pb gas checks to start with. I was also looking at the 405gr HB Lee mold , as well as the Socom specific molds from Accurate. I have searched the internet and just can't find a lot of cast Boolit info on molds , data and the like. Any info or insight will be appreciated.
    Thanks

I use plated or jacketed so I don’t clog the gas tube. Was toying with the idea of powder coating some to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I planed of PC , I shoot PC In my 300 blks almost exclusively and never had any issues what so ever

Boolit Man
    My favorite cast bullet is the 500 grain LEE, But I also do well with the NOE .460/405, the Lee .459/405 and the.457/405. I powder coat them and have no problems out to 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by seadawg View Post
    What is everyone casting for 458 Socom? I recently put an AR together and have been playing with jacketed 4570 bullets , however I would like to cast for it. I have a Lee 340gr mold coming and some pb gas checks to start with. I was also looking at the 405gr HB Lee mold , as well as the Socom specific molds from Accurate. I have searched the internet and just can't find a lot of cast Boolit info on molds , data and the like. Any info or insight will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by roharmon View Post
    My favorite cast bullet is the 500 grain LEE, But I also do well with the NOE .460/405, the Lee .459/405 and the.457/405. I powder coat them and have no problems out to 100 yards.
    What powders are you using with the Lee 459/405 hollow base ?

Smoke has (or had) a 458 SOCOM and he had a few good recipes iirc. Use the "google custom search" box up on the top right of any forum page to look...
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Man
    IMR 4198 and Lil Gun

Boolit Mold
    4198 and Lil gun are what ive been working with with my jacketed bullets. I am seem to get better results with IMR 4198 so far, so i was going to start there when my lee mold shows up. I was curious what molds others were using or if others were casting Boolits for their 458 socoms. i Dont see a lot of traffic on the internet in regards to casting for the socom..

...jacketed so I don’t clog the gas tube
    I'm shooting cast out of my Beowooof without
    any gas tube/bolt carrier problems at all.

... not even hint.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    I'm shooting cast out of my Beowooof without
    any gas tube/bolt carrier problems at all.

... not even hint.
    Same here with the 300blk I have 3 of them and I shoot cast PC bullets from 130gr to 230gr sub and supers and never seen any leading in my gas ports or barrels. So I would think the same would hold true with any big bore in the AR platform. But I've just started messing around with the Socom