Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any pre-turbo 7.3 diesel mechanics out there?

Boolit Master
    hannibal, a lot of diesel newbies reading this might pick up a tip that saves them a tow fee and thousands at the hands of a ripoff mechanic..........I was lookin for a replacement head for my pickup,and there is didly on the net thats useful.....just china hate mostly.......now i know what im doin,but had to go blind on the head or pay Ford ten times the money for the same product.........also seems labor to replace a simple 4 pot head is around $3000........now that buys a lot of shootin gear.

In Remembrance
    If it isn't getting any fuel, it will not run on wd40. My first one was a 85 model that was wrecked with 11,000 miles on it. I put that motor in an older gas rig and didn't know how to wire the glow plugs, started it every morning on either, it barely took a whiff. I put right at 400,000 miles on that engine. The problem with these engines and either is the glow plugs, they can ignite the either causing them to send the piston back down before it comes to the top, effectively turning the engine backwards against the starter. I have seen them break the starter off the block.
    Most of the time you can get away with it, but it just takes once for all the stars to line uo to be a problem, if you have to use either disable the glowplugs.

Banned
    Hannibal,

Sounds about RIGHT.

yours, tex

You know, it's funny. I work on diesel engines 6 days a week that are either 12 or 16 cylinders with pistons the size of 3lb coffee cans (yeah I know, not anymore), run 42 lbs of turbo boost and make 4500 horse power. You can fog an entire 16oz aerosol can of ether into these things and they'll rattle 'n bang but when it's -30 degrees, sometimes it's either that or they won't start when they've been sittin' outside for a week. Now, they don't have glow plugs, so that changes things. 300 gallons of oil. 4500 gallon fuel tanks. 250 gallons of coolant. It's treated with borate and dumps on the ground at 37 degrees, because 250 gallons of anti-freeze is deemed too expensive.

Point being, it amazes me how some hands-on experience can make all the difference.

Thanks again to all who helped. I appreciate it.

Boolit Buddy
    I can't believe. You got 330 k. Out of stock umbrella seals. Normally the stanadyne db2 injector pumps. On these motors are good for about 100 k miles. Then they flat out die. Or won't restart hot. Installing. A. One way valve in the line between the fuel filter housing and the transfer pump will help alot of them that drop prime.

I guess I'm just lucky. Truck sits alot these days and I've not tried to restart it since fixing it. Hoping it stays fixed. Supposed to warm up to near 50 Sat., I suppose I'll try it then. -10 tonight.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234