Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 500 gr. Slug for 454 Casull

Boolit Master

500 gr. Slug for 454 Casull

I’m looking at purchasing a mold for a super Redhawk Toklat in 454 Casull, and want to know if a slug of this size will shoot well and stabilize in this caliber.
    I know that data exists for a 500 grain, but I thought I’d throw it out there anyway.
    -BE

Boolit Master
    I've fired a 400 gr sized down 45/70 cast bullet in a 45 Colt case out of a T/C Contender eons ago but a 500 gr not sure it would fit in the cylinder. My 500 gr 45/70 bullets are 3/4 the length of a 500 S&W case.

Boolit Master
    This particular slug is Accurate’s 45-500S, designed for the S&W 460 Magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Be VERY careful with long heavy slugs.
    Your cylinder length will limit the OAL of the loaded round.
    This in turn will cause you to be forced to " deep seat " a bullet of that weight.
    The added weight and the reduced internal capacity inside the case are a less than ideal combination in the pressure dept. Pressures can and will get out of hand in a hurry.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 01-06-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Boolit Master

500 gr. Slug for 454 Casull

Thanks for the heads up, we’ll stay vigilant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 01-07-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    there was an article about a gentleman who went on the very same search as yours in either guns illustrated or gun digest some years back, i just cant't tell you which year it was. he worked up a subsonic load for a freedom arms revolver, which required a faster-than-factory twist to stablise. the bullet was also a custom job, carrying a mostly wadcutter profile. his purpose was to use it for elk hunting at under 50 yards, and at that range, it would almost go through an elk from end to end!

Boolit Master
    Good stuff, thanks. I’m passing all of this along.

Boolit Master
    You would have to seat a 500 gr so deep in the case that I WOULD THINK the slow twist of Rugers 454 would not stabilize due to the low velocity. You are limited by cylinder length.
    In a 1-24 twist I wouldn't go over 360 really. I have used two different 410 gr bullets in a FA 454 and they barely stabilized.
    I have used those two aforementioned bullets in a 4.2" Redhawk 45 Colt with good stabilization and accuracy.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 01-11-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks–we decided to pass on the big 500. And yeah, it's a 1-24" twist. We'll stick with the 300 and the 350.
    I imagine a 250 gr. HP would scream...

Banned

a 350 grain bullet at 1200 fps will shoot through about anything end to end. I never even bothered with anything heavier in my 454s.

Boolit Master

I have used 405 grains in the .45 colt. One of the problems to be aware of, if the cases have internal taper, the boolits may need to be seated so deeply that the cases will bulge and the rounds won't chamber.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Buddy
    I have shot many, many 395 gr Cast Performance WFNGC bullets in my Ruger SRH 454. They shoot better than I can hold, I'm pretty sure. The ones I've dug from the sand backstop could be loaded again except for the rifling grooves. I am working on a 300 Cast bullet now using Lee mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    there was an article about a gentleman who went on the very same search as yours in either guns illustrated or gun digest some years back, i just cant't tell you which year it was. he worked up a subsonic load for a freedom arms revolver, which required a faster-than-factory twist to stablise. the bullet was also a custom job, carrying a mostly wadcutter profile. his purpose was to use it for elk hunting at under 50 yards, and at that range, it would almost go through an elk from end to end!
    That would be P.A Widegren in Handloader's Digest 1996 (15th edition).

Boolit Master
    That would be the one. Obviously, I remembered the publication wrong! That’s way more years back than I realized! Aging memory sucks!

Boolit Buddy
    His name makes me laugh.