WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lexan grips?

Boolit Master

Lexan grips?

I put an 1892 8mm Lebel revolver on hold over the phone. The store rates it's condition as 75%. But they didn't mention that it has Lexan grips. At least it looks like Lexan. They're see-thru grips that were done by someone who knew what they were doing. They're faded, which makes me think they're old. Like I said, they were done very well, but...Lexan? I took it off hold and the store has since changed the listing to include "Lexan grips."
    I'm going back for another look today. The gun itself is in great shape. Reproduction grips are available online for $55.
    Anyone ever come across Lexan grips (or whatever the material is)?

Boolit Master

probably just plain old plexiglass. i think grips have been made of just about anything you can think of.

Boolit Master
    I remember reading about them back in the 70s, though I can't remember if they were Lexan. Never saw a set but there were articles in the gun rags about how to make your own.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the 70's I made a few laminated plexiglass grips for sh!ts and giggles. They were pretty colorful...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Yeah, put some wrinkled gold foil behind those grips. Or imbed stinging scorpions, etc. Classy Huh?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    Yeah, put some wrinkled gold foil behind those grips. Or imbed stinging scorpions, etc. Classy Huh?
    Sure. Or maybe something like, "If you can read this, you won."
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

I have done lexan grips for a couple semi autos. Another popular material you used to hear about is corian counter top material. I don't belive the plexi glasses leexans acrilics were available in 1892 though.
    But if its a good clean speiman then a set of repo grips might be justified.

Banned
    There are other clear plastics that look like lexan. Plexiglass is a more common material in older stuff. As far as I know Lexan has only been available since about 1970. (that is recent for an old guy like me)
    If you get it post some pictures. It would be interesting for us all to see.

I made a set of either clear lexan or plexiglass grips for a series 70 govt model back when I was in high school. Took the pistol to school to fit them. Not too big of a deal to both make as well as take the gun to school... I'm obviously getting old...

Boolit Master
    I went back for another look. There was no date engraved on the right side of the barrel, or any barrel engravings at all. The finish was decent but there was too much play in the cylinder. The salesman said he wouldn't shoot it. And then there's the grips...
    I passed.

Boolit Man
    Deleted
    Last edited by Phineas Bluster; 01-29-2020 at 11:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    That is great info. I wonder if they were used on revolvers? You can definitely see the mainspring through the Plexiglas. I'll go give it another look. Thanks.

I have seen many WW2 pistols with clear plexiglass grips. Most had a picture of girlfriend or a
    "Pin up girl" under them. Most had foil from cigarette pack behind the picture. Source of material
    was from aircraft.

Boolit Grand Master
    During WW 2 there was a thriving cottage industry in making grips like those mentioned by PB above using plexiglass from wrecked airplanes, which were pretty common in places. That would be my guess.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    There was a clear epoxy/resin that saw a lot of use back in the 50's and 60's. I once bought a Colt 1902 Pocket model that sported a set a pair of dice cut to show a seven on either side. The guy who sold it to me had made them himself and was very proud of his work. I have seen other similar setups on various pistols and revolvers.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I got up nice and early and went and bought the revolver. I was concerned about the cylinder wiggle but it's fine when the hammer is cocked. The serial number shows it was made in...not sure when it was made. I don't see any photo or whatever inside the grips but they're not totally clear, so I'll keep looking. It's funny, but I didn't want to buy it before because of the grips, then I wanted to buy it because of the grips.
    I had to use my C&R to buy it (in Maine) but I don't have to register it in MA due to its age.
    Thanks for all the info.
    Last edited by Battis; 01-07-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    In the left grip, there's a square outline of something (white speckles) that is no longer there, probably a photo. I'm going to tell people that it was a photo of Churchill shaking Eisenhower's hand.

Boolit Grand Master
    From Battis, "...but I didn't want to buy it before because of the grips, then I wanted to buy it because of the grips."

We gun owners are a strange lot, aren't we? Just for what it's worth, I think you made the right decision... you got something you thought was interesting and now you get to show it off to start conversations with the rest of us. Congratulations!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I got up nice and early and went and bought the revolver. I was concerned about the cylinder wiggle but it's fine when the hammer is cocked. The serial number shows it was made in...not sure when it was made. I don't see any photo or whatever inside the grips but they're not totally clear, so I'll keep looking. It's funny, but I didn't want to buy it before because of the grips, then I wanted to buy it because of the grips.
    I had to use my C&R to buy it (in Maine) but I don't have to register it in MA due to its age.
    Thanks for all the info.
    I never saw anything like that before. But I REALLY LIKE THEM. They look pretty darn old to me. Will be interesting for someone to be able to identify the material and learn more about it. The color works well with a blued gun. Don't know how much you paid for those but I'd say it was a good deal because of the uniqueness you have there. Good Score Sir!

Banned
    I did a little research. My guess is that they are Celluloid. That is just a guess. Celluloid was invented in the 1850's so they could be quite old if they are celluloid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast