RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you >>> CAST <<< recently?

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomRider64 View Post
    Here are pics of the .44 cal balls and a couple of the ingots that I cast last weekend. Some of the ingots were not this purdy,,,cold mold, or I got in a hurry and dumped them out to early.

Any and all comments welcomed,,,
    I sure coulda used some of those back in the 50's . . . us kids used to play a game called 'Marbles'...you try to shoot marbles out of a ring drawn in the dirt, everybody had to annie-up like 5 marbles to start...well, that's not important...the thing is that you could call 'Bombsies' and drop your shooter from above...whatever scattered out of the ring you got to keep....those balls woulda done fine!

Ha...marbles! I prolly lost about 3/4's of you on that game...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I sure coulda used some of those back in the 50's . . . us kids used to play a game called 'Marbles'...you try to shoot marbles out of a ring drawn in the dirt, everybody had to annie-up like 5 marbles to start...well, that's not important...the thing is that you could call 'Bombsies' and drop your shooter from above...whatever scattered out of the ring you got to keep....those balls woulda done fine!

Ha...marbles! I prolly lost about 3/4's of you on that game...
    Naw, I lost my marbles time ago!!!

Boolit Buddy

Cast up these 200 g 45s a few weeks ago and tryed out the HiTek coating for the first time , and they actually turned out good on the first try , I guess it helps to follow the directions.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0810171737_Burst05.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	211345

Name:	0811171703c.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	211346
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrra View Post
    Cast up these 200 g 45s a few weeks ago and tryed out the HiTek coating for the first time , and they actually turned out good on the first try , I guess it helps to follow the directions.

Name:	0810171737_Burst05.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	211345

Name:	0811171703c.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	211346

Cast these about 500 .356 pic is before and after with Eastwood mirror red Lyman vibrator and baked at 400’ for 20 min

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Cast close to 500 .452” 200 grn RNFP for the .45’s, powder coated in clear and Carolina Blue, sized them to .452” and put them in the ready to load bucket! Also cast up some .430” 310 grn RNFP GC for this .44 mag I bought. Powder coated in clear, sized to .430,gas checked,loaded up with 2400, gotta wait till weather clears.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    Cast about 15lbs of alloy through a lee 312-155 mold. First lee two cavity mold I got that casts beautifully with no messing around and drops bullets at .313 which is good for me. I suppose lee has tighter tolerances on their rifle molds. This one is a great mold so far.

Boolit Master
    Sigh, nada..... my wife even got the promelt upgrade kit for my christmas present. haven't figured out how to keep the lid on and get the PID thermocouple inside it yet, but the mold tray is awesome. Once we finish moving and get everything unpacked I'll start casting again. At least I have plenty of stock on the bench to keep me busy.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

Cast up some slugs for the 380. Accurate 35100B RFN @ 100 gr

Name:	35100B Accurate 01.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	211372
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Yesterday I cast with a new to me mould, Saeco 325. That is an "according to Saeco with their terracorp alloy) 95 gr. SWC @ .313". I bought the mould a couple years ago, used and abused. The sprue plate had really taken a beating, it was even twisted. Took it to a local machinist and he was able to mill it back true for me. This thing is a 6 cavity, so it didn't take long to get a couple hundred cast up, the freshly milled sprue plate is now blued real nice, and the bullets seemed to almost jump from the cavities. My alloy of 70/30 COWW/soft, plus a dash of tin came in at 97.7 gr. and .313 diameter. I like it!! more 32-20 fodder. JW

Boolit Master

cast 8 lbs of 120 gr .38 Sp from a new NOE mold

The 5-cavity really turns them out though they don't take up much room on the bench
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Nothing recently. I need to get back on it.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Measuring Hardness ? TIP...

Some of you check your hardness with the Lee method and may have some difficulty aligning the the markings in the scope with the edges of the indentation on the cast...if you mark the flat with a red marks-A-lot and then indent the cast, the edges of the indentation will be very easy to see and will contrast with the measuring lines on the scope.

Name:	IMG_3129.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	211483

I've tried other colors but the red seems to contrast the best in my shop under florescent lamps.
    Also...the better job you do when filing the flat will help to see that edge too. Make it as smooth as you can, just try different files, believe it or not a coarse flat bastard will cut the flat quickly and using light strokes to smooth the flat seems to do the best job but I wish I had another method for this filing...sometimes I don't hold the file perfectly level or make correct strokes and then a simple job of getting a smooth flat becomes a chore!

Boolit Bub
    My most recent run of bullets was for an 8.14 x 46R. I load for a lot of odd-ball cartridges, this being less odd than many. My 8.14 is in a stalking rifle with double set trigger and aperture sights. The mould is a Lyman 323470 double cavity and is oversize in my barrel but the throat permits it and it shoots well with 4227. I have used pure lead and at other times wheel weights. If the bullets are the right size, WW are fine. Most of my odd-ball loading (most of my loading) is done on a Lee four-hole progressive, rotating by hand. I commonly used dies from several sets in order to get the decapping/sizing (if any) and neck expansion/belling/seating. I need. I load for rook calibers, double rifles, and several German chamberings. I have done LOTS of moulding for long range muzzle loading up to 1000 yards with 485 - over 500 grain .451 bullets (pure lead always).
    NMLRA Guy

Boolit Master

NMLRAGuy: I live 2 counties east along the river. I've probably seen you at Friendship.
    God Bless, Whisler

Banned
    I built this, if you flatten the tip and put the dimple there, make a jig similar to this it makes it easier for me to read

I stared and stared at the picture and couldn't for the life of me figure out how you use that mould rest. Geeez...then it dawned on me we were talking about hardness...then I recognized the scope, all this before the coffee is done!
    I should be on board in about 10 minutes .. .

Name:	KIMG0856.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	211589

Tried out a new to me Arsenal mold, 360 138 MAX. This is an aluminum 4 banger that gave me some challenges. It did not fit my lee handles and barely fits the slightly longer RCBS handles. Then I got a lot of rejects until I realized that a smaller cavity aluminum mold like this needs to be run fast and hot. Ended up with about 20.5 pounds of keepers for a morning of casting. They drop at 133 grains cast with range scrap and 2 to 3% pewter added to the pot as a source of tin. I may try again with this mold later this week.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Those cast look pretty clean, smooth and well filled out when you add that pewter huh?

What hardness to they get to air cooled? 14~15 BHN?

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Those cast look pretty clean, smooth and well filled out when you add that pewter huh?

What hardness to they get to air cooled? 14~15 BHN?
    Guessing 11ish, but I do not have a tester. This is a range scrap base, so most likely sans the pewter the base lead is perhaps 1% antimony and maybe a whisper of tin.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Did you add about 1/3 lb. of pewter to 20 lbs. of RS ?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast