Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you >>> CAST <<< recently?

Here is my most recent work coming from the casting pot. Breaking in a new Lee 6 CAV 358-125 RF mold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee 158-125 RF-3.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	211233

Name:	Lee 158-125 RF-4.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	211232

Oops...I've never done this before, first time for everything! The sprue's look good though.

Name:	Lee 158-125 RF-2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	211234

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by jeff100 View Post
    Are you squirting brake cleaner into a hot mold? If so, does the brake cleaner ignite? Not sure at what temp brake cleaner would ignite. - JJ
    No, it didn't ignite but it was instantly clean and dry . I thought about that so I went outside the garage before I gave it a quick shot...no problems so I gave her a good rinsing on the mould faces and cavities. I didn't want to remove the patina/oil from the rest of the mold.

LG...I sure like the 299's...talking about the ultimate old school cruise missile!

jeff...you should save those, that's pretty cool...talking about flashing!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Moderator Emeritus

NOE 41 Keith 200gr HP GB
    Can you believe this?
    Today is only the second time I've cast with this mold

I cast a bunch during the first casting session, back in 2011 or '12 when I bought this mold, and I'm still shooting those up Truth is, I rarely shoot HP ammo.

Attachment 211238

Attachment 211239

Attachment 211240
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Holy Cow...whatta hole in the nose of that SWC! Can you imagine having a wheelgun pointed at you with those thangs looking at you!

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    jeff...you should save those, that's pretty cool...talking about flashing!
    I did save them. They're desk ornaments now, a reminder to me to PAY ATTENTION and be sure the mold closes every time! I was not happy when I dropped those from the mold, operator error, but no harm done. I kept on casting and cast a couple of hundred more boolits after that happened.

This was the first time I cast with this mold and the first time for me using a new mold where I got boolits that were perfect. The first couple of dozen boolits coming out of this mold had issues, after that the mold dropped all good boolits. After casting a few hundred I weighed each boolit and found the boolit weight to be pretty consistent from boolit to boolit, most of the boolits weighed between 127.0-128.0 grains. I don't know what others experience with cast boolit weights, for me this is pretty good. Diameters were very consistent as well. - JJ

In that last batch I did today this is the average weight...my range was 146.1~147.0, that's pretty dang good...basically the same as your range. Heat was steady, cadence steady too and we had fine boolit metal to cast with...

Name:	IMG_2275.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	211243

Boolit Bub
    A week or so ago I was having trouble with my RCBS Pro Melt so I fired up my old Lee Drip-O-Matic and made this:

Name:	IMG_0817.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	211253

It is nice that the drip stops when it gets to the top. I did get it running good enough to do some casting with though.

Today I had the RCBS running and made some of these:

Name:	IMG_0862.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	211254

They are the Mihec 312-159 HP

That is not a drip problem there...that pot is 'CONSTIPATED'!.. .

Boolit Master
    I cast a good many Lee 358-158 RF and a small pile of the Lee C430-310 RF. Now to empty some brass....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I made test runs with 2 new-to-me molds:
    (1) Lyman 452374 (2X), ball design for the 45 acp, and
    (2) Lyman tong tool 32 S&W, RN design (also works in 32 auto and 7.63x25 Mauser and 7.62x25 Tokarev).
    Did nor make enough of either to save and use, just checking for diameter and as-cast weight. Both are fine with COWW.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    This is an old pic. The wood is now as wide as possible. If it needs to be higher or lower I just remove the support pieces at the front and back. No need for anything fancy.

I really like that set up!!! might have to try something similar. It sure would come in handy when using the Lyman ingot mold.

Eric
    Short,Fat,and Slow,,,Yup I love the .45

Boolit Grand Master

Have not cast anything recently but had a pretty active year up until it got too hot to cast. Then I got too busy to cast. Working on a Dove Hole, Dove Season, Deer Camp work days, Deer Season, now Duck season. Even had a nice trip with the wife! But after Duck season I'll be a casting fool! I have a ton (actually closer to 3 tons) of lead to smelt and a couple of new to me molds. Also a new to me Star Sizer!

Boolit Master

I needed some more 1oz slugs so I cast up about 50 of them. A modified Lee 1oz mold. I read years ago about modifying this mold with a case deburing tool to make it more of a TC and less of a RN. Puts a little more weight forward.

Boolit Master

Some of these: 358-156GC, sized .358, Alum checks, Tac X lube, BLL#2 overcoat. Weigh 160-160 grains ready to load.

Name:	358156 checked,sized.358,lubed TAC-X (Medium).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	211277

Lee 401-175-TC on a quick 1 hour session Friday before New Years

Followed by a couple hours on Saturday casting 356-120-TC's and 309-170-RF's

and a powder coating session the next day. Haven't cast in a few months so it felt good to get back.

Here are pics of the .44 cal balls and a couple of the ingots that I cast last weekend. Some of the ingots were not this purdy,,,cold mold, or I got in a hurry and dumped them out to early.

Any and all comments welcomed,,,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP5487Resized.jpg   IMGP5488Resized.jpg   IMGP5489Resized.jpg  
    Short,Fat,and Slow,,,Yup I love the .45

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Some water cooled 44's.

Please post pictures of your casting efforts, successes and not so much success also.
    I figure we can all pick up something here...ESPECIALLY diagnosing any problems with moulds or melts.

These have been coming out of my trusty 'Drip-O-Matic' lately trying to feed the insatiable appetite of my Green Machine...it takes forever to cast 18 lbs. of these Lyman 358091's with the old 2 cavity mould but I like this 'Button Top' & bevel base FWC.

Recently I bought an H&G 50, 6 cavity mould from a member to speed things along....'Geeesh' what a heavy and long mould...haven't cast with it yet cause I have to make a new mould rest that will allow this long mould to go completely under the spigot at an angle so it doesn't bump the back of the pot. Any suggestions on a new rest?
    Nice lookin' mess o' hole punches there!

Boolit Master

Recently I bought an H&G 50, 6 cavity mould from a member to speed things along....'Geeesh' what a heavy and long mould...haven't cast with it yet cause I have to make a new mould rest that will allow this long mould to go completely under the spigot at an angle so it doesn't bump the back of the pot. Any suggestions on a new rest?
    I've got a 10-cavity version. . .AND IT ROCKS!! Came up with a large aluminum block on which increase or decrease of height is done by adding or subtracting scraps of 1/8" thick lumber underneath it. Works so well that the stock mold guide on the Pro Melt has been left turned to the side for any and all molds
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I've got a 10-cavity version. . .AND IT ROCKS!! Came up with a large aluminum block on which increase or decrease of height is done by adding or subtracting scraps of 1/8" thick lumber underneath it. Works so well that the stock mold guide on the Pro Melt has been left turned to the side for any and all molds
    Got an 8 cavity aluminum version coming from Mihec via the group buy. Hopefully the fact that it is aluminum will make it a little less unwieldy than a big iron mold.

I smelted pewter today. Ended up with 36 mini-muffin pan discs that should be perfect for getting 2 to 3% tin in a pot of alloy.

Name:	KIMG0855.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	211341
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast