Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP Molds.....

MP Molds.....

Im throwing away my Lee Molds.. So, i was looking at MP Molds in Europe... Anyone got Pros/Cons on Quality compared to everyone elses?

Boolit Buddy
    I have a couple MP molds and love them. Another good mold - I like as well as MP is NOE molds. Both are priced about the same, both have excellent quality. I prefer the pin setup for HP on the MP molds but only by a small amount over the NOE molds. Hope this helps

Boolit Master

I have more than a dozen MP molds and like them more than any others. I think the Cramer style hollow point pin system is the best. You can make deep hollow points, shallow hollow points, cup points, penta hollow points or flat points using blank pins. All this variety from one mold. Plus the workmanship is top notch and prices don't break the bank.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master
    I didn't throw away my Lee molds, but it's true that I haven't used them since I got my aluminum 8 cavity MP molds. Much better in my opinion (as a caster only in the past three years or so).

The only other molds I've used are Accurate 5 cavity aluminum molds. I'd say the MP molds and the Accurate molds are comparable in quality. Accurate is local, MP is in Slovenia. Ordering from stock on hand from Slovenia takes the same or less time than getting the molds made to order from Accurate's extensive list. Accurate's aluminum molds go up to five cavities, MP is up to eight.

No cons to either, in my book. I settled on the MP molds for the higher production.

I like my MP molds. Have mostly brass 4 cavity hp's. Just got a 8 cavity aluminum single 0 buck and it is very nice. You need to run the brass molds hotter then the AL. if you go that way. Mehi makes premium molds that are worth what you pay for them.

I have NOE molds too and can say they are just as nice. Many times Swead has them in stock if you don't want to wait on a group buy or MP is out of stock.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have nearly as extensive a collection as some of the folks here, but I can wholeheartedly endorse MP molds. I have 3, all are excellent. On one occasion I ordered from Miha a couple of weeks after I placed an order from a domestic maker. The one I ordered from Slovenia got here first. I have heard tales of them taking a little longer to get through customs, but I haven't encountered that myself.

Thank you everyone....

Boolit Grand Master

Don’t throw the Lee molds away. Wait until the next panic and sell them for a large profit on eBay. This way you can buy more custom molds.

You can send the Lee molds to me. Wrap them up, put them in a large flat rate box and PM me with your mailing address. I'll send you a USPS MO for the postage.

Oops. I just saw your profile. Just throw them into the ocean and feed the fish with 'em.
    Last edited by rsrocket1; 02-28-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: USPS doesn't serve Aus or PH.

Boolit Grand Master

Mihec makes a wonderful mold I have a number of them. Although my favorite is still LBT.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    In my opinion there is no better mold on the market today than the MP molds!

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

they're top shelf. Back in the dark old days of custom mould purchases on this board, we were stuck with lee moulds as the only company that really wanted a custom business. There were of course problems, tolerance acceptance up to +.003, bullet length restrictions and of course... long production waits. We had one buy for the fatter .30 that we placed, my daughter was conceived and born waiting for the group buy to deliver.

Then DJ got NEI to agree to a group buy 311284. That went over like a fart in church. Walt had already passed and the business was run by clowns sans a machinist.

Soon thereafter NOE and Miha ventured onto the scene and we've been blessed ever since. Exceeding high quality, service and reasonable waits. Toss in a willingness to offer options on a basic design....

Miha makes a mould as close to perfect as he can. Buy one and you won't regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite for a long time was LBT but while I still love my LBT molds, the MP molds have become my favorite. The versatility of having a HP/Solid mold and the quality have won me over. I have a dozen or more and am in several more group buys for more. I like NOE molds for the same reason, versatility.

However, if one wants only a solid bullet mold, you will go a long way to beat Mountain Molds or Accurate Molds. I have a few from both and they are superb. And very fast turn around time on your order. I have several Arsenal molds and like them as well. Shoot, I even still have a few old Lyman molds.

I don't use a lot of Lee molds but if you have one that casts a bullet you like I'd keep it. One of my favorite 480 bullets is from a 6 cavity Lee mold for a 400 grain SWC.

Getting back to MP Molds, they are one of the best. You'll not regret getting one of theirs.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Boolit Grand Master
    I got my first MP mould in a group buy that was just wrapping up, so it came in fast and was jewel-like in its manufacture. My second one came from another group buy that dragged on about forever, but once again the mould was great when I finally got it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I got a mp mold for my 25acp it is the best mold i own bar none.

Boolit Master

I've got several MP molds and they are excellent. But I've got several NOE molds in aluminum and I'm sure not going to get rid of them. I've only got one Accurate mold but, as of now, there will be more to come.

The OP brings up a good point. When do we admit that all those Lee 6 cavity(almost all of mine are the old GB molds) are just gathering dust and taking up shelf space? Although the OP didn't say his were GB molds.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I have a Lee 6C designated 44-225-FN. I bought it used from a board member. Since it is not in the Lee catalog, I'm assuming it was a Group Buy mould. It throws 6 nice boolits that have a weight spread of only 1.4g, average weight is 224.76g and they mic .432"!! What's not to like?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

MP and NOE both make great molds.

One thing I've learned is that to skip the aluminum and get the brass. IMHO brass is the ultimate mold material. It holds heat very well and it doesn't rust.
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned

How much rust are you getting on your Aluminum molds?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    How much rust are you getting on your Aluminum molds?
    Rust is iron oxide. Aluminum rust is aluminum oxide and ALL aluminum forms a rust layer very quickly.

My comment was more towards iron molds which can start to rust during a casting session here in Texas.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast