Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to lube 58 Cal Minnie balls

How to lube 58 Cal Minnie balls

I just bought a Lyman mould in 58 cal Minie ball old style. The number on it is 575213OS. I would like to know if anyone has an idea how I can put some bullet lube in the grooves of these bullets? I have an old Lyman lubra sizer that I use to size my smaller sized bullets that I cast, but can't seem to find anything for this large 58 (.575) diameter bullet. Anyone have any ideas?
    Guzda

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Lyman used to make a lube die for their lubrisizer, lube only NO sizing. Those are hard to find. On this site, Buckshot can make you a lube die or you can dip lube the minis or you can pan lube them. Buckshot can make you a Kakecutter to remove the minis from the pan lube pan and a sizer that works in a RCBS press with the bushing removed. PM him for details.

Banned

A lot of guys just gob the lube on right before they shoot. You can also pan lube and use a homemade cutter. Try lube in the hollow base and see if it improves accuracy.

Boolit Master

I have an old snider that seems to like that bullet very well. I have tried several ways to lube them. For me these are the best two. I took an old golf shaft and cut it at the point where the id of the shaft was just larger than the od of the bullet cleaned up the cut and used it to cut the bullets form a pan of lube that the bullets standing in. Before that I just rubbed it in with my thumb. I hope this helps.

Just wipe the lube on with your fingers.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Thanks for the ideas Guys! I will have to give them a try when the weather warms up, (if it ever does!)
    Guzda

In Remembrance

If I am going to shoot my Springfield 1861 ArmiSport musket multiple shots and right away, I use the minnie bullet as a scoop and fill the hollow base. I don't bother to lube the grooves as they are essentially designed to be "scrapers" not lube carriers. They are also way too shallow and don't hold enough lube. My lube is a 50/50 mix of bee's wax and grocery store lard. It stays hard (sort of) even in Florida summer and is still reasonably soft in temps around 32 degrees. The large amount of lube carried in the base assists in the bullet base expanding and taking the rifling, and keeps the black powder fouling soft for repeat shots without having to wipe between shots. I have loaded and fired more than 50 shots using 60 grains of FFg Goex without wiping and accuracy was still adequate and loading easy at the end. Lubing only the grooves (and none in the hollow base) after five or six shots, I would have to wipe the bore with two or three damp patches and a dry patch before I could seat another minnie ball due to fouling build-up. If the barrel is hot and the gun is going to be loaded for a long time (as in hunting or a delayed relay at target shooting) I would not put lube in the base as it may melt and foul the powder charge.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just dipped em in beeswax and crisco. The muzzle gets rid of extra.

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I just dipped em in beeswax and crisco. The muzzle gets rid of extra.

I have found the same to be true and works well at that!

Boolit Buddy
    i have 58 cal muzzle loader and i use Lee Liquid Alox tumble lube on the bullets...works good. JimP.

Boolit Master
    Guzda,

To start with, don't make it any more complicated than necessary. Plenty of time to experiment and fine tune to your preference. Just smear some Crisco on with your fingers, seat firmly on powder and fire.

Oh.. and use real blackpowder

I shoot Minnie's and REALs out of my ML with 50/50 beeswax and crisco. I slime the boolits up by hand and throw them in a plastic container or a zip lock bag.

Boolit Master
    I shoot 50 cal minis. If I fill the base with crisco I can shoot all day. When I load it for hunting I just smear a little around the sides and leave the base empty.

I don't know if crisco will contaminate powder but I don't like to take a chance. Woody
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    Back in the day, I used Cisco in my 58 cal H&R Huntsman. What a mess in the summer months. That was way before we had better lube and equipment.
    Leadmelter
    MI

I run a 45 caliber side lock. For decades I've had an assortment of tubes and plastic cartridges where you place a bullet and powder charge for hunting. To make up Maxi balls or Minnie. I do have a 265gr Minnie in 45 caliber. I sit down at home and lube up a batch and load them in hoses or hard plastic pipes. Long stick on the ball starter can be used to push them out into your hand to load.

trick I've seen in many magazines and books. But never tried. Make up a load block from wood. Find a nice piece of wood as thick as the bullet is long. drill proper sized holes in the block. Grease bullets up and push into holes. To load place a bullet over the barrel then push it out of the block with your short starter. Best put powder in first though. Paper cartridges can be made and are way cool.

For lube I've used Armor salt free white lard and bees wax plus just a dab of lanolin.

Boolit Buddy
    Sizers/lubers for the Lyman, and RCBS luerisizers in sizes for minnies are available from S&S Fierarms in NYC, and Lodgewood MFG in Whitewater Wisconsin. They both have lots of sizes available.
    You should find out the bore size on your musket, and size the Minnie .001-.002 under bore size. Use only "PURE" lead as, alloys will not allow the skirt to expand properly on ignition, causing flyers.
    As stated you can just dip the minnies in melted lube, and load them., but they will work better as sized as above first.

Rebel Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Dave View Post
    Sizers/lubers for the Lyman, and RCBS luerisizers in sizes for minnies are available from S&S Fierarms in NYC, and Lodgewood MFG in Whitewater Wisconsin. They both have lots of sizes available.
    You should find out the bore size on your musket, and size the Minnie .001-.002 under bore size. Use only "PURE" lead as, alloys will not allow the skirt to expand properly on ignition, causing flyers.
    As stated you can just dip the minnies in melted lube, and load them., but they will work better as sized as above first.

Rebel Dave
    Well I've a sizer I leave set up on SPG lube for cartridge BP. since I use a 45 MZ I have dies that would work a bit loose. Jus don't bother with it. After all you still need to handle the bullet to push them into a load cartridge or storage item. Then wash your hands. So what am I gaining by using my lube sizer machine.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    S and S firearms makes sizer dies for the lube sizer. Also push throughs. You should measure your bore and size 1-2/1000ths under bore (not groove) diameter.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have shot thousands of .58 minie balls in rifled muskets for NSSA shoots. All we ever did was take your index finger, dip some Crisco out and fill the base. You don't need anything else. We then loaded them base up in loading tubes (you can get tubes from S & S, Winchester Sutler and others). The purpose for lube in BP is to keep the fouling soft. To get the best accuracy out of your rifled musket, the ball should be sized to the bore. As far as lube goes, the simpler the better. Crisco in the base has been the commonly used lube for years by most NSSA shooters for one reason . . . it works. A pound container will last a long time.

Boolit Bub
    Like bedbugbilly said, fill the base with lube and shoot. After 30 years of shooting N-SSA, I can't think of a better way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast