RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: .357 Herrett in a Cadet?

in Remebrance

.357 Herrett in a Cadet?

Long story leading up to this so I won't bore you. Main question for now is will this feed thru a Cadet action? I have one in .357Max that works acceptably as long as I use a longer nose 190gr boolit, a fatter nose 175gr is problematic tho not impossible. I am aware that Cadets have been converted to 32W spl and that they kick the snot out of you. Using this cartridge wouldn't be a problem for me as I would load it down, got little use for heavy recoil in anything. Really mostly concerned about feeding before I buy the barrel that is offered, already chambered and threaded, I can do any final fitting that may be needed. Thx, GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master

IF they worked with the 32 WIn SPL then the Herrett should not be an issue.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    I think it could be inserted quite easily, but if you are in doubt you could stick a dummy round to the breech face, block up the extractor case with modelling clay, insert a piece of tubing, and case a dummy chamber with Cerrosafe or some kind of pouring epoxy or hard wax.

You could probably rechamber the existing barrel to .357 Herrett, but you should check with the reamer maker whether the pilot would be long enough for good alignment.

But just what are you looking for by the change? Any difference in performance between a lightly loaded Herrett and a conventionally loaded Maximum seems pretty slight. If it is just easier insertion, you could bevel the top edge of the chamber slightly, taking great care not to take it further forward than the solid case head. If that was a source of weakness, you couldn't have extractor cuts, could you? It may make quite a difference to insertion with those fat nosed bullets, and to clean ejection.

in Remebrance
    BIS, I'm just playing with ideas. I had a rebored barrel chambered in 357mag on the way but the USPS broke the package and lost it, so that's gone. This barrel has been offered. My other choice would be 30 Badger as I have two 30 cal barrels in the corner and plenty of brass to form cases from. Decisions, decisions! GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling