RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magma Engineering Star Lube/sizer + gas checks question

Magma Engineering Star Lube/sizer + gas checks question

Hi Casters! My first post, but I'll be around quite a bit more!

So I'm looking to hear from the Star Sizer cheer team. I am getting into my first casting shortly, I've already perfected my range scrap collecting and melting down / clean up into ingots. After thinking I was facing a choice between the RCBS LS2, or the Lyman 4500 -- I came to realize that the Star is going to be the way I should go. I'm the type of guy that if I'm going to spend $40, I might as well get the better unit for $60; can i get an AMEN?

Okay, so I've been shooting Single Action / Cowboy Action for many years, and finally have decided that buying .358 cal 158grn RNFP from various vendors just to have them ship to me and run my costs up to $0.10/round, I probably should get cracking on a casting mold. I decided on a 5-cavity Accurate Mold, and that's special-ordered and on the way! (3 weeks out)

Sadly, Magma Engineering is out of stock and back ordered already (from the Xmas rush) for the Star Sizer. I guess I need to wait; they say 3-4 weeks for new models to be fabricated. That being said, I should start getting my dies and lube ordered; I'd like to hear from ya'all about who/where I should get these. I hear/tell that there might be a forum member or two that are the go-to guys for these items -- Please chime in. Thx

Lastly, a question about gas checks. I reload .44Mag cartridges now too; and likely would like to try a stronger Magnum load than the lame ducks I've been shooting out from the first recipe I came across in the Speer Manual; lol, My S&W model 629 (3" fluted barrel) shoots like a 44S&W now!! disappointing. My feeling now is that if I don't want to shoot copper jacketed for target fun, that I'll need to get my hands on a .44Mag mold as well, but this time of a design with gas checks.

Does the star sizer also install gas checks while sizing; as does the Lyman or RCBS? Or is this where the comparison between the two systems really part ways? So far this answer hasn't presented itself in the few days of online shopping that I've done. Please let me know.

Looking forward to your input, Thanks guys!!

Spade Ace: New member! Let me set the hook! LOL Seriously, Welcome along. As far as moulds to get you started, I'm fond of my Noe 429421 clone. 245gr. SWC Keith style. Gp

Boolit Master
    The Star does an excellent job of crimping on those gas checks, also fastest and most precise luber/sizer.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    The Star does an excellent job of crimping on those gas checks, also fastest and most precise luber/sizer.
    What a relief -- good to know. So the Star is going to do it all and then some! Once I get it on the bench, I'll be saving for the bullet feeder and Air pressure attachment!

SpaceAce see me two recent posts on this very subject: Gas Check Seating Problem in the Gas Check category and Gas Check on A Star in The Star Equipment Corner category.

Regarding molds my two S&W 629 Performance Center Heavy Hunters both shoot these two bullets equally well, the Lyman Devastator #429640 mentioned in one of the above posts, and the Lyman 429244 Thompson SWC-GC or SWC-HPGC.

Both the hollow point styles make great whitetail/mule deer, coyote bullets. Cast soft with a lead alloy with a Brinell hardness of about 8. Insure expansion and the bullet will hold together as it expands. The gas check takes care of any potential leading issues at the high velocities.

Enjoy!!

Moderator Emeritus

Greetings! My communication skills are so lacking, I perceive your "30-second" inquiries in need of a "10-minute" answer ! A few quick, short ramblings to hopefully, at least, point to the long tunnel you've entered seeking light at its end. All comments need be prefaced by the ubiquitous imho... (in my humble opinion)
    1/ I have 45, 450, and Star. The RCBS is oft' recommended over Lyman, but the Lymans were available and cheaper; I've not had any problem with my three. The Star is indeed the "Cadillac" in the fleet -- I have three, too, of these -- and excels in large batches. E.g., I have one set up, each, for a .44, a .45acp. and a .38 bullet I cast lots of. The Lymans excel at small runs (e.g, that which fills a coffee can), as it is perceived by me to be a real pia to change Star dies, as well as -- if needed -- lubs.
    2/ Accurate moulds.... WORK! A good choice. I do suggest you go to the NOE bullet mould sight and, under his forum section, read, re-read, and practice his advice on mould cleaning and prep for first time use. A nice vidio on this is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4el8...ature=youtu.be A bit of time spent with a brand new mould seems to always pay significant dividends in what drops out of it!!! Part of this is something to pre-heat -- I have an el cheapo G.E. less-than-$20 hot plate procured from eBay, with an inverted metal coffee can I cut a "door" in, atop it -- to both condition your mould, and keep it warm if needed while casting.
    3/ The question on many folks minds -- and there is an actual discussion section on this forum -- is "What lub do I use?" I cannot answer as I'm (at 69) still not smart enough to know. However, what has worked for ME marvelously is plain-Jane Lyman lub for low-velocity pistol bullets, and Lyman Orange Magic in the Lyman sizers. In the Stars -- I use nothing other than their blue lub -- works for me! As a side note here, all of my sizers are equipped with heaters. The lubs I use are very temperature sensitive from hard-as-rock to almost liquid dependent upon ambient temp. I simply plug my heaters into a Variac to control temp; others just use thermostat which comes with them; PIDs; or similar. Regardless, I DO recommend a heater. Magma Star's are costly, but of the highest quality.
    4/ I am a strong believer and user of gas checks, and prefer to install all of mine using the Lyman sizer. Lyman purveys a small tool -- their gas check seater -- which is what I use. Yes -- it adds perhaps one more step (no more than a "quality control" bullet inspection) -- but it insures the checks are seated square and well. A good video on this may be viewed at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7gRe1Nk9ys
    Again -- just a few notes -- and BEST WISHES! There appear to be ever so many knowledgeable and wonderful folks on this forum, you indeed have come to the right place to ask your questions.
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 01-06-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome

You will never regret getting the Star. Yes, it will seat GC’s.

Asking about lubes will open up all sorts of opinions. Many people make their own, but I never will. Lars45 is a vendor here “LsStuff”.....or something like that is where I purchase. Just contact him and tell him what you will be loading and he will advise you. His prices are so good, it makes no sense to make your own. I think RandyRat is another supplier in good standing but I have never used him.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I think Lathesmith is a vendor here that will make your Star dies. I use White Label lube that is a vendor here also. I use Carnuaba Red and 2500 plus. You can't make it for what you can buy it for.
    I would hold off on the air pressure kit and bullet feed for the Star. I don't think they are necessary. I would invest in a heater first. You can hand feed about 800 bullets an hour through the Star. The .38 bullets I would lube nose first through the Star. I have no experience with GC in a Star.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I think Lathesmith is a vendor here that will make your Star dies. I use White Label lube that is a vendor here also. I use Carnuaba Red and 2500 plus. You can't make it for what you can buy it for.
    I would hold off on the air pressure kit and bullet feed for the Star. I don't think they are necessary. I would invest in a heater first. You can hand feed about 800 bullets an hour through the Star. The .38 bullets I would lube nose first through the Star. I have no experience with GC in a Star.
    I use the pressure system with my star, love it, and recommend it. No trouble seating gas checks at all. Feed bullets nose first always in the star. 1000 bullets per hour is no problem. Difference or comparison between Star and RCBS Lam2 is like a flood light compared to a candle IMHO!

SpadeAce,

First off, welcome to the board. You will not find a more informed group of bullet casters, period.

In regards to the Star sizer, there is nothing I can contribute to what has already be said. I have been using my Star for close to 30 years now and it's seen hundreds of thousands of boolits, seriously. I once tried getting in the business years ago of selling cast boolits. There just wasn't enough interest in my area and the internet was available for advertising back then.

I have a few sizers I purchased from Lathesmith and his work is great. Lar's lube is also a 'go to' of mine for most of my shooting needs.

You may want to look at NOE Enterprises in Utah in regards to mold choices. I'm sure you'll find something that fits your needs there. We do have other vendors, but having delt with NOE for several years now I can't recommend him highly enough.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

As Harles said: nose first for the bullet & let the gas check on the base of the bullet & pull handle fully. This works great if the gas check fits properly. For store bought lube go here: http://www.lsstuff.com/ Carnauba Red will get you started.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the site. Here's a tip - make sure you have a credit card with a high limit because you are going to need it when pouring the holy metal! The Star is worth the wait and the bucks. It does have a learning curve. I added the air pressure system and have not regretted it but it is not necessary. I can easily size 1000 bullets in 35 minutes. One thing I would strongly urge you to add is a roller handle from Lathesmith as if you are going to be lubing a large run of bullets you can wear a sore spot in the palm of your hand with the standard operating handle (ask me how I know).

Boolit Bub
    Can't go wrong with an Accurate Mold, for lube, check out LBT lube, or make some Felix Lube. For a sizing die, go with the Star, although the ones made by Lathesmith are more affordable, for gas checks, use Hornady or Gator gas checks, I use Gator gas checks, super fast shipping, great outfit. I melt my lube and pour it into the Star sizer. And get a Lyman heater for your sizer.

Boolit Bub
    In my experience the star machine is a great machine for high volume set it and forget it type sizing. For a lot of misc small batch sizing the die change out is frustrating. I have a Star and a Lyman 450. The 450 stong point is not having to adjust lube squirt holes. If you do buy a star, order all your punches dished for gas check use. Just my .02 worth,ymmv

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I purchased my first Star in the early 70's while working in a gun store and making the cast bullets that we sold to customers. You may want to put a hold on the bullet feeder on the Star. If you don't listen to my advise, then make sure you have the time to use it. I much prefer to load by hand and after a while you will be fast enough to keep up with your needs. Now the air supply is the real deal and worth having.
    There was a member on this forum that sold a few pieces that allowed a air set up for about $35 IIRC.
    You don't need a compressor or have the wife complain about the noise. The Star does not use the air but only needs it to keep a certain amount of pressure on the lube so that it feeds into the bullet grooves. Air pressure fills the lube grooves much better than the stock spring setup.
    All you need is the conversion kit, some air line, Teflon tape, and a 7 gal air tank. I keep my tank with about 120 lbs of air. It will last forever if you don't have air leaks and they are only about $25 or so.
    Craw before you walk and you will become convinced that you made a great decision.
    Lathesmith is the person to buy you dies from. The lubes sold by our member vendor will cover anything but if you shoot BP, give me a holler. Good luck and take time to read the stickies on casting, the ones by Glenn Fryxell are like bibles to me.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Bullet seated nose down, of course, with a flat punch in the Star sizer.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Harles Dawson View Post
    I use the pressure system with my star, love it, and recommend it. No trouble seating gas checks at all. Feed bullets nose first always in the star. 1000 bullets per hour is no problem. Difference or comparison between Star and RCBS Lam2 is like a flood light compared to a candle IMHO!
    I've an actual Star lubrisizer.

I'd dearly like to have detailed information on the pneumatic conversion for the lube reservoir, whether I have to buy it or make it.
    Last edited by pcmacd; 11-21-2021 at 08:10 PM.

Boolit Master

pcmacd: Magma sells the lube air kit for 105.00. Just to to their site at magmaengineering.com I have them on my Stars and I would never go back to manual pressurizing. I have the bullet feeder on one Star but left one original for doing larger bullets that don't so well in the feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    pcmacd: Magma sells the lube air kit for 105.00. Just to to their site at magmaengineering.com I have them on my Stars and I would never go back to manual pressurizing. I have the bullet feeder on one Star but left one original for doing larger bullets that don't so well in the feeder.
    Thanks. Iben all over that site and can't find it. Can you send a link please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast