Load DataRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for plain base plinking boolits in 30-06 at ~1600 fps?

Boolit Master

Ideas for plain base plinking boolits in 30-06 at ~1600 fps?

I'm getting back into 30-06, 1-10 twist. Ideally, I'd like to have a "plinking load" of maybe 160 grains with a plain base boolit that is preferably air cooled ww's or ww/soft for maybe 9 bhn. And I have a boatload of Unique to use. Obviously, I want some usable accuracy.

So, is this realistic? I've never powder coated before. Would that get me there? I like BLL, as well. I'm looking for a minimal fuss load that I can easily obtain using normal loading methods (full length case resizing and Lyman M die to flare the case mouths).

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Here's the one I use - NOE 311-155-FN 5 cavity PB. I powder coated and then size to .312, or size to .309 and then powder coat... 10 grains of Unique is what I use. 150 grain bullet doing 1500 FPS is like a heavy hitting .357 Magnum load yet you can put 100 rounds down range for half the cost of a box of regular price .30-06 and your shoulder won't be sore the next day. They do pretty good in my sporterized 1903 Springfield.

Boolit Buddy
    I go along with Townsend Whelen's advice 7-11 grains Unique, 311241. One of my Krag groups it in 1.5 inches at 100. A 303 Savage does the same.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krag1902 View Post
    I go along with Townsend Whelen's advice 7-11 grains Unique, 311241. One of my Krag groups it in 1.5 inches at 100. A 303 Savage does the same.
    That would be my first choice. Mine drops 152 gr boolits though.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    If you want an actual plain base mold, RCBS makes a 150 for cowboy action shooters.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Krag1902 View Post
    Are you powder coating, tumble lubing, or using conventional lube?

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Here's the one I use - NOE 311-155-FN 5 cavity PB. I powder coated and then size to .312, or size to .309 and then powder coat... 10 grains of Unique is what I use. 150 grain bullet doing 1500 FPS is like a heavy hitting .357 Magnum load yet you can put 100 rounds down range for half the cost of a box of regular price .30-06 and your shoulder won't be sore the next day. They do pretty good in my sporterized 1903 Springfield.
    Very helpful. Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the responses. Keep 'em coming, please. And please remember, I am only interested in plain base designs.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My group of friends does lots of shooting with plainbased bullets in '03 Springfields, Winchester 54s, etc.

Getting "decent accuracy" equal to or better than Ball M2 at 1600 fps WILL REQUIRE a gaschecked bullet.

BUT, If you keep your velocities in the range of 1000-1300 fps with soft alloy you can get 100 yard groups like these with relative ease.

Attachment 211154Attachment 211155Attachment 211156

Old NEI mold was modified to plainbase by Erik at www.hollowpointmold.com
    Attachment 211157

NEI now out of business, so this is the ACCURATE plainbased bullet I recommend which we have used with excellent success in the .30-30 and .30-'06:

Attachment 211158

We work in the range of 5.0 to 9.0 grains of Bullseye or WST and adjust to best grouping. Sweet spot is usually about in the middle. In a smooth 14" twist barrel you can go all the way to 9 grains of Bullseye or 13-14 grains of Unique. A 10" twist military barrel will shoot better and maintain a more consistent bore condition over long strings of fire if you keep loads subsonic 1080 +/- 30 fps. In worn '03 Springfields or Winchester boltguns which have been used for highpower and have worn throats a .313" bullet IS correct. In a new, unworn throat with minimum neck diameter you will want to size bullets .311-.312"

Start with a charge in the mid-range of those suggested, from a clean bore, having removed all prior metal fouling and carbon, using Kroil and JB. Then condition the bore by lightly wiping the clean bore with Lee Liquid Alox and then drying the bore and chamber with two or three patches. The residual Alox left in the bore will prevent the first rounds from leading in a clean, dry barrel.

If limited to Unique powder I would work in the range of 8-13 grains. No filler needed. 8-10 BHN alloy such as 1:30 or 50-50 lead-wheelweights is perfect. LIGHTLY lube with Lee Liquid Alox so that they look like this:

Attachment 211159

Load bullets as-cast and unsized IF they chamber with light marking and do not telescope deeper into the case as the bolt closes, or debullet if you extract a loaded round. Chambered and extracted rounds with bullets which fit properly look link this:

Attachment 211160

When the load is working, treat the bore like a .22 match rifle, do not clean or brush, simply wipe bore after shooting with a wet patch of USP mineral oil and leave wet. If gun has been sitting in safe for more than a week since least session, before shooting wipe bore with one wet patch of mineral oil only, then two patches and dry chamber. Then go shoot.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-05-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Very helpful. Thanks. Sounds like maybe with powder coating 1500-1600 might be very doable, but with conventional lube, no way, unless maybe everything is just right.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    Very helpful. Thanks. Sounds like maybe with powder coating 1500-1600 might be very doable, but with conventional lube, no way, unless maybe everything is just right.
    I would like to see some people post photographs of five or more consecutive groups of 5 or more shots with PC bullets, similar to what I posted above with my hunting (NOT "target") rifles above. I only tried PC briefly but had problems maintaining proper bullet size, roundness and fit in the barrels and could not get them to shoot for sour apples, so I went back to LLA shown above getting good results easily in a variety of rifles. Could see no reason to change.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Sounds good!

Boolit Bub
    Several years ago I spent quite a bit of time working with an older M70 and cast. Checking my records shows that I had my best luck with Lyman #311284, a gas checked bullet weighing around 200-210 grains. It has a long heavy bore-riding nose. I am not usually a fan of bore-riding bullets but in that case it all came together and just worked. The powder I had best luck with was SR4759, 23 grains for 1750 fps. SR4759 has, I think, been discontinued. I suspect Accurate #5744 would work just as well but haven't tried it in that gun or with that bullet.

I also worked with an LBT 165 grain LFN (gas checked) but never did get it shooting as well as the Lyman. It showed potential and probably just needed a bit more work. Unfortunately I have lost my records for that load development. Good luck and have fun with it.

fstreed, I take it your loads were all GC bullets, correct?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    fstreed, I take it your loads were all GC bullets, correct?
    That is correct. With the price of them nowadays I can certainly understand the desire to use a plainbase bullet. Unfortunately I haven't experimented with plain base at that velocity level.

Boolit Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ee-30-cal-mold

Good article, but I don't think you will get it up to 1600 fps without a gascheck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ee-30-cal-mold

Good article, but I don't think you will get it up to 1600 fps without a gascheck.
    I read the article, but none of the pictures were accessible to me, and no velocities reported. Thanks anyway.

Thanks for your input. If it seems too much of a stretch, then I probably won't bother trying. And that's why I'm asking.

Boolit Mold
    Hello, I currently worked up a load with the NOE 309HTC 153-SP mold using HP38/W231 powder.
    @ 11grs Im getting consistant sub MOA grouping

https://youtu.be/85nBPXXcU8w

Results show at 13:00 minutes in. Also my playlist Robin Round load development you can see the repeated results.

5 Shot group chrono numbers:

FPS is 1438
    SD: 13.50
    ES: 31

Boolit Master
    A year later.

I ended up with the NOE 30 xcb pb, which I cast in ww's plus 2% tin, air-cooled. Just learning how to powder coat. 12.5 grains Unique gets 1550 fps and ~4" for 10 shots at 200 yards. So, my goal is well accomplished. Btw, 14.5 grains Unique gets 1750 fps, but then there is some build-up in the bore. The 12.5 grain load shoots clean and is easy to switch back and forth between it and the full power hunting jacketed load.

Banner Sponsor

The 30XCB is a great bullet.
    I have had good luck with the Ranch Dog 165PB lubed with 45-45-10.
    I had 4 go under .5"(75yds) at the end of shooting 100rnds while testing 45-45-10 in a 30-06.

Boolit Master
    That's great! In testing, I sometimes had 5 or so shots out of ten go into ~1.5-2" @ 200 yards.

Boolit Master

I know, you asked about '06.... But, I shoot the 31141 in 30-30 at about 1660fps for my light load and I use normal lube and size procedures for the bullet. I would suggest that at that velocity you should use a gas check bullet unless powder coating. I apply the same ideas to the '06, but with the Loverin bullets and conventional lube at about 1700fps. Again, would use a gas check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast