Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Deer kills with Lee c309 170f in a 3030?

Boolit Buddy

Deer kills with Lee c309 170f in a 3030?

Just wondering what kind of success any of you have had w this Lee bullet in a 3030? I have ben shooting them out of my vintage 1953 3030 winchester and love the accuracy. Thinking about ising this on the large Adirondack bucks next uear (if i can find one)

Boolit Buddy
    I've shot 2 deer with this bullet cast out of 50/50. Performed fine

Never hunted with mine but if I did I would use as large a bullet as I could.

I have figured out a method of putting a flat nose on round nose Lee Boolits. So in my case I would choose the Lee .312 185 gas checked, lubed with BLL. I would size to .311 after the flat nosing process. Essentially I drilled a .314 hole in a one inch thick block of HDPE plastic. Then reversed the drill in the chuck. Insert a bullet, place block over steel block on drill press table. I have a 3' chunk of 3/4 pvc pipe that slips over one of the arms to lower the drill. Give it a good pull squishing the nose. Remove the steel block from under the plastic, and shove it through into a container.

Turns a 185 2r round nose into a flat point same size as the primer or a shade bigger.

Had no issues with accuracy. Cost me nothing but some dink around time.

Took me a couple of days but I had no sweat making 100 of these and loading them over moderate 4895 loads. They shot well at the range. Still have well over 60 left.

The HDPE 2 was mostly fabric softener bottles, couple of milk jugs. Rinsed, cut into chunks, melted in gas oven at 375 degrees. Use parchment paper to keep folding it into a blob until it is all melted, incorporated into a single mass. Then turn it into a block mold and clamp a lid on it as HDPE tends to warp as it cools. Molding it and clamping it helps a lot.

Boolit Buddy
    Why not just use a flat nose punch in lubesizer and flat nose it when you lube and check

Boolit Master

I've killed 10 deer with that boolit @ 1800 fps. My alloy is air cooled 20/80 SOWW/COWW. The only one I have ever recovered was from a doe I shot head on in the chest at 50 yards. I found the boolit 30 inches or so from the entry. It had mushroomed nicely.

Shot a buck at 125 yards this year and about 1/3 heart was missing. I've considered softening my alloy a bit but I figure I will use up what I have first as it seems to work just fine.

I've killed plenty of deer with the 150 not the 170, the 150 does great out of my wife's ruger 7.62x39americsn ranch and also my 30-30s together I bet you I have killed 8 or so deer with it never had one run all the deer I have ever killed where DRT never ever had to track my own deer

Boolit Master

2!years ago killed a large bodied 6 point in norther MI with that boolit over a moderate dose of h4895,DTR

Boolit Master
    I, my older brother, and nephew have had great success with the 150gr FNGC from both .30/30 and .30/06, and lately, the .300BO.

I've found the 170gr not to function as well through the action of my .30/30 l/a's as the 150 (which btw cast to 158-160gr). Both are capable of excellent accuracy, but for the .30/30 and .300BO, prefer the 150.
    FWIW, my 170gr FNGC casts to 178gr and 180-181gr with lube/gas checks.My .303Brit #4mk1 is fond of the 170's.
    Terminal performance is excellent, never recovered a bullet, except from one a coworker of my brother shot an upper N.Y. state whitetail with. Load was a plinking load of 7.5gr of Unique under tumble lubed unsized, no-gas check bullet. He was rabbit hunting at the time. Deer ran 75yds an collapsed. Bullet hit rear of rib cage on right side, under hide of opposite shoulder. Bullet nose was "rivited" back a bit. Air cooled wheel weight metal.
    Sometimes we just over think it!!! M/V was about 1,250fps. Think .357mag pistol power.
    Last edited by GooseGestapo; 01-28-2018 at 12:30 AM.

I'm liking the sound of these comments. My Marlin 30AS loves the 170 GC Lee...if memory serves they come in around 180 or so lubed and checked. Plenty accurate for me, but I'm having a hard time locating one of these extinct Vermont white tails. I swear some year I will connect with one.
    Mike

Boolit Master
    I am going to try some 20/80 alloy when casting for my 45LC Henry. Recovered my 50/50 boolit, and although it did a splendid job, it did not expand very much.