Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Long shots are for bad hunters, article

Boolit Master
    I have yet to see a single long range advocate that was handicapped. As an excuse for long range shooting of live animals, that one just doesn't cut the mustard.

Boolit Master
    I'll add to that, I see a lot of youtube videos of handicapped people killing deer, elk, bears etc. with a bow.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I think that 1000 yard walk thru the woods across the creek and across the ravine to get that elk you bagged will be a piece of cake for the hunter that is disabled? Unless they have a helicopter and retrieval team.... ;(
    That is what you pay the guide and his crew is for.
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    That is what you pay the guide and his crew is for.
    if i'm just pulling the trigger, I'm not hunting..

Boolit Master
    I think that 1000 yard walk thru the woods across the creek and across the ravine to get that elk you bagged will be a piece of cake for the hunter that is disabled? Unless they have a helicopter and retrieval team.... ;(
    No helicopter needed if you read what the man said ,disabled but does not mean without friends there to help . I am not in that circumstance but admire anyone handicapped who makes the most of what he has to continue hunting ! It seems you can spend a lot of time shooting at a bench especially if your bench is with you and that is key to long range shooting target or hunting trigger time makes a difference . Last I am thankful I am not handicapped but coming up to 69 yrs I am thankful I can shoot long (no apologies) to anyone cause getting old is sure a new experience .

Boolit Grand Master
    I was not going to post on this but......

I am a poor hunter. I admit it. I am a pretty good shot. I limit myself to 300 yards but could shoot longer...just choose not to as I see no need to risk a shot on a beautiful game animal unless I am sure of the kill.

If someone wants to stalk closer than 50 yards....have at it. You should be rightfully proud of your abilities. If I hunted that way, I would not be successful. So maybe, in your eyes, I am not a hunter....I am ok with that. I am a killer. I will get my deer the way that works for me and within my abilities.

I served venison chile to family and friends and no one asked if at what range I took the shot. Yummy is yummy.

If a good hunter does not get his deer, and a poor hunter pops one at 300 yards, who has been successful?

I understand that for some the journey is more important than the destination. But we are not all wired the same way.

I know a guy who can hunt. He has been in the woods for over 40 years. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as a hunter. I get a wee bit of respect too. Four of the locals came to me this season to zero their rifles.

Use the talents you have to achieve the results you desire.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have been reading this thread right along , but not offering my opinion either way , but when I go walk around the field I am going to set my stand up to hunt , then return home my wife considers that is I went hunting .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I was not going to post on this but......

I am a poor hunter. I admit it. I am a pretty good shot. I limit myself to 300 yards but could shoot longer...just choose not to as I see no need to risk a shot on a beautiful game animal unless I am sure of the kill.

If someone wants to stalk closer than 50 yards....have at it. You should be rightfully proud of your abilities. If I hunted that way, I would not be successful. So maybe, in your eyes, I am not a hunter....I am ok with that. I am a killer. I will get my deer the way that works for me and within my abilities.

I served venison chile to family and friends and no one asked if at what range I took the shot. Yummy is yummy.

If a good hunter does not get his deer, and a poor hunter pops one at 300 yards, who has been successful?

I understand that for some the journey is more important than the destination. But we are not all wired the same way.

I know a guy who can hunt. He has been in the woods for over 40 years. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as a hunter. I get a wee bit of respect too. Four of the locals came to me this season to zero their rifles.

Use the talents you have to achieve the results you desire.
    Great post!!

If we all did everything the same way, this world would be boring and we would be lemmings....
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Figger out the gun you need and get it.
    If nobody makes it then design it and get it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the kind words rosewood.

One of the reasons I do not hunt with cast bullets is that it does not fit how I harvest deer. Most of my shots will be less than 150 yards (cast bullet ranges), but I also hunt a power line with longer opportunities. I want the flatter trajectory I get with jacketed bullets. Plus I am lazy/cheap...load work up with jacketed bullets is so much easier. I bought 500 165 gr Sierra Gamekings and they will last me a lifetime. I had a load dialed in with less than 100 bullets used. I do not need to find a mold that works, or an alloy that works, or a lube that works and gives first shot in group at temperatures from zero to 80 degrees. Groups are sub MOA and I have utter confidence in the load if I need to go long.

What others (like Gibson and Bama) can accomplish with HV cast bullets is amazing and I admire them. There is some real talent on this site.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Another thing to consider about what hunting style a person deems "sporting". Not everyone is able to select a perfect place to hunt and some locales are not suited to stalking close to a deer. I hunt in Louisiana and most of the land I hunt is impossible to stalk successfully. Some of this habitat is so thick with undergrowth that it's hard to understand how a rabbit can get through it. There are however some narrow lanes that the loggers cut when they thin the timber. These offer some opportunities to hunt from a stand with shots being presented at longer ranges. Sometimes a deer will cross one of these lanes close to the stand and sometimes they are anything but close. We do have some "open" woods on the land that I hunt but the deer don't go there. They prefer the thickets. The vast majority of land in Louisiana that carries huntable deer herds is leased to hunting clubs. There are some state owned management areas and some National Forest lands but I shy away from these because I like to be aware of who I am sharing the woods with. I can assure you that if I were forced to hunt only by "stalking close" I would very seldom be successful.......and I like to stalk.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Again - if you're reading what I've been typing at all, it's rockchucks or coyotes.

And it seems like MOST in here start from assuming I am stupid or something... If I shot a game animal at THAT sort of range (further than I'd shoot, 500 maybe but 1000 yards seems far. BUT NO WHERE IN THIS WHOLE THREAD, was "long shot" defined, which is interesting...) I'd have made plans in advance. Something like shoot it as it crosses a dirt road out there (which a friend does) so I'd crank up the car and drive TO the deer or whatever - Dress it out there - Then load it. Seems easy enough to me, if you don't start off assuming that the other side are IDIOTS and go downhill from there. Try asking questions and learning, maybe? Seriously, folks...

Boolit Master
    Sheesh! Mr_Sheesh

BrentD - I s'pose I am chopped liver? Levels of disability DO vary, some can walk but with a limp, some can only walk 50 feet at a time and then have to sit, etc. - And how is it that only YOUR way is "right"? I doubt you'd want someone else picking your significant other, your next car, your next place to live or firearm, do you suppose I don't want someone picking how I can hunt? Especially if the way they pick is something I cannot DO.

Soundguy - What you say sounds like you've never tried shooting even a target at 400 yards; It's not "Just pulling the trigger", it's a CHALLENGE. Far harder than 100 yards. Try it if you want. You might enjoy it! Some of us LIKE challenges.

Boolit Master

Well mr sheesh, your last post convinced me you aren't a mind reader.

Please save assuming what people can do and have done, for those that you can verify.

Boolit Master
    Well mr sheesh, your last post convinced me you aren't a mind reader.

Please save assuming what people can do and have done, for those that you can verify.
    I agree completely

Haaaah! I guess you guys have about beat this old dead horse to death...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    The last Whitetail I harvested was about 15 feet away. I had just finished moving closer to a swamp edge, made some racket and I guess he thought I was another buck. Didn't have much time but to kneel and shoot the poor bugger. Where I hunt a 100 yd. shot would be rare because of the brush.

http://www.sevenwondersofwashingtons...scablands.html Eastern Washington Scablands - Good place for longer shots compared to the next;

http://parks.state.wa.us/570/Rainbow-Falls this area is a smidge more closed in, "long shots" here are maybe 60 feet, and there's a real risk of a tree / limb deflecting your shot. Comparatively claustrophobic! Wouldn't shoot IN the park tho

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678