Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Retired and happy

Boolit Master

I retired (the first time) at the end of 2011. I worked 28 years as a LT (LEO in CA) and reached 50. Oldest daughter was having her second and was bed rested for 5 months, youngest daughter was graduating High School out in CO. I needed 2012 off, so I retired. Man that was fun! when I could I made the circuit of CO to see the Mrs.m So CA to see my parents/brother, Nor CA to see grandkids/brother, repeat. Good times! Didn't do much hunting or fishing but I sure did a lot of casting, learned to powder coat and think that is awesome, did some maintenance on the house at west, and in the Rockies. At the end of 2013, my youngest moved out and my wife asked if I was going to go finish my full 30 (we had always talked about that). I went back, picked up a few raises along the way which substantially bumped my pension.

Back to retirement, 3 grand babies now, middle daughter stays and keeps an eye on the house, which is less than a mile from her sister or uncle or the Pacific. Mom, Dad, and oldest brother are all good down south. The doctors in CO are trying to figure out whats going on with her insides (not cancer) so we will see. I'd just like to get the pesky bear that keeps coming in my back yard. This year, she had 2 cubs with her and there are tons of security camera images of the on the front porch, in the driveway, in the back yard, but no pictures of bear meat in my freezer. Mule deer like to pee on my wife's back yard, and a cougar likes to wait under the sun porch for the deer. Did I mention I live in town? To me, every day is not like Saturday but more like the first Monday of a long vacation. I'm rested and ready to go.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    In my whole life, I never had a problem not working! My problem was not having any money!(or acquiring it without having to spend time in jail!) At 65.5 I figured(with a little help from my financial advisor) I could make the switch. The stock market had been good to me and except for my affliction concerning interweb purchases, I live a fairly simple life. After 3 1/2 years folks have stopped asking if I want to go back to work. I fish a little, hunt a little, reload, cast and spend a little time on the confuser. Do a few projects around the house. (Current project is reorganizing my reloading room - - trying to establish some order after living in this house for 14 years!) The only part of work I miss is the part where they payed me to stay home for 9 days a year(paid holidays) and the 4 weeks of vacation that I don't get paid to not come to work! Life is good!

Never a problem with work or getting out of bed. I retired the day job at 50. Closed the bullet business for good when I was 60. I'm 67 now & have never felt the need to go back to a job. I'm happy & love my current routine. I study at least an hour each morning & normally longer. I can workout every day afterward. I can shoot 3 or 4 times a week. While I'm not a big time hunter I do like to fish. Barbara & I dearly love being retired. All I really have in this life is the time my Lord gives me & I want to make the most of it.

Boolit Bub
    Been retired 18 years this month. I recommend it! I do some shooting, some loading, some writing. Just got my third gun book in print. Be 83 next month.
    NMLRA Guy

Attachment 211609
    Quote Originally Posted by vrh View Post
    I'm one of the ol' farts here. Don't have to go to work. Can stay indoors all of the cold winter. Prefer to stay in my garage loading up some bullets for my 243 and 30-06.
    Joined a local gun club. So that has been taking up most of my time. Sat down yesterday and loaded up some. My new rule is load in the winter months and shoot in the warmer months.
    Here is a tray of the ones I loaded up. Sorry for the quality of the pics. That is the only camera I have available.

Attachment 211122
    Pretty much fun isn't it. I retired at 62yrs and 7 days. Never looked back and I had a very good job. Beat cancer and now have a 3yr old grandson that makes every step I do and I love it! Who wouldn't want to spend time with this guy? You couldn't work me with a laxative!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123