Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retired and happy

Boolit Buddy
    Retired 2nd week of may, plenty to do according to the wife, just don't seem to have time though. I'm busy keeping several rifles tuned up and running, finding new loads for old rifles, trying new molds, keeping several game cameras rolling and picking out interesting bucks to hunt. Had one nice long tined 8 pt that has eluded me for 3 years, told my son, "he don't know it but I'm retired now." Got him too.

Boolit Master
    I had to quit last January because colon cancer had invaded my liver and lung. I got the lung thing cleared up and now its time to attack the liver.
    My wife is sick with metastatic breast cancer.
    I spend my time taking care of us and sorting all the **** I have accumalted over the last 45 years.
    Don't wait. It can end in a heart beat.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master

This is an uplifting thread about folks that have earned the right to do as they pretty much please. I am very blessed to have earned an early retirement at 52 years old. I'll be 72 this Sunday. So I am pretty much into this retirement thing. The wife and I are blessed beyond measure and couldn't be happier. I shot a six point buck early in the season and went out the last day of the season which is known as alternate methods here in Missouri, but is muzzleloader for me. It was very cold but I went just to say I did. In late afternoon I uncapped my muzzleloader and just watched a couple of nice does for a while before walking back to the house. Life is good and did I mention we are blessed?
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    Retired 3 years, got a Dillon 650 at 65th birthday been reloading mostly 9MM and 223 for target and hunting. Started casting 38 and 9MM, WW and Pb, got hooked on that and can’t seem to quit.
    Still contract some when they force me to just for pizza money, but try to stay clear of work, enough work at home taking care of 3 horses 2 dogs 2 Orchid greenhouses and wife. Got a couple old jeeps to rebuild 1945 type so there a challenge or just another project,any way got plenty to do here in Louisiana without working. Old chiller tech boiler man Hossfly out.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Leadmelter View Post
    I had to quit last January because colon cancer had invaded my liver and lung. I got the lung thing cleared up and now its time to attack the liver.
    My wife is sick with metastatic breast cancer.
    I spend my time taking care of us and sorting all the **** I have accumalted over the last 45 years.
    Don't wait. It can end in a heart beat.
    Leadmelter
    MI
    Gee Leadmelter, we hate to hear this. Hope you both can beat the cancer and enjoy your last years together.

Boolit Master

Good Evening Leadmelter: First let me say I am so sorry that I breezed by your post and posted about my retirement being so great without giving consideration to you and your wife's present situation with your colon cancer and your wife's breast cancer. It was so rude of me and I wanted to let you know that I am truly humbled by your post. I have thought about you and your wife today as I went about my activities. I am a praying person and have had you in my prayers and on my mind today. Being the caregiver for someone is a very tough job. I can't imagine your situation. I am going to echo Lightman(post #25) and say that I am praying for your health needs and really pray that you and your wife beat these cancer problems and can enjoy the retirement that you have earned.
    Stan...aka smoked turkey
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Banned
    Welcome to CB Hossfly,
    Sounds like you will fit right in with us CB addicts.

Semi retired as I am running a few varied instructional courses several times a month. Too much to do at the properties to really relax but I do get in my range time. I also make time while lying in bed to read this forum and one other. Staying active helps as far as I can tell with my health, at least so far.
    Looking for USGI M1 and carbine rifle parts, please PM me.

Be thankful that you have a gun club to join. There are a lot of casters and shooters who have to jump through a lot of hoops just to cast, much less shoot. Good for you, hope you enjoy retirement as much as I have.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    I retired April 31, 1999.

Where do you live that you have 31 days in April?

I got medically retired a few days before Christmas last year when my colon cancer returned. It's been a rough year, but I'm still kicking. Lori expects me to vacuum when I feel well enough, and I have no qualms about trying to keep the kitchen clean, but I have loaded so much that I'm out of small pistol primers and brass..... lots of boolits though!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I just retired this past week. I have already cast 2700 pistol bullets, coated and baked once, second coat on and ready to bake, been to the gym twice, been to the range once, and have read two books cover to cover. So much to do.

Lead melter, Tom W., I am sure that all here will think and wish and pray for you and yours.

Boolit Buddy
    Went to work in 1957( paying ss, still paying) officially retired 11/2007. Still running a small business. I was diagnosed with lung cancer Nov 2014 , had left lung removed, in Dec 2014. Good til 2016 now have metastatic lung cancer in the spine and pelvis, but God gives us no more than we can handle with his help. Still shooting loading, and swaging. Can no longer cast.
    " CANCER SUCKS" I swage .224, 6mm, 7mm, .308, 9mm, .40, .429. Also 9 to 30 jackets, and 9 to 9 jackets.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh yeah, still " HAPPY AND RETIRED"
    " CANCER SUCKS" I swage .224, 6mm, 7mm, .308, 9mm, .40, .429. Also 9 to 30 jackets, and 9 to 9 jackets.

Retired a year and a half ago. Stopped flying all over the world every week and now spend time with grand kids on some weekends, cast and shoot during the week, travel around with the wife exploring this part of the world. I get a new left shoulder on Thursday to go with knees and lenses from 2012 and 2014 but nothing like cancer. I will turn 70 in three weeks and should have retired earlier.

Banned
    Will be retiring in May God willing. Looking forward to some free time.

I retired at 58 nearly 7 years ago (I turn 65 in February) and have never regretted the decision. Like so many of us my health was declining and it was just time to call it quits before the job made me any worse. I had several years of enjoyable retirement, mostly loading and shooting, but also spending some time on my two '60's collector Mustangs. Over the past year I've developed heart issues (which run in my family, so it was not unexpected) and will be looking at some major surgery sometime later in 2018 if all goes according to plan. Still trying to get out to shoot with friends at 3 of our local gun clubs as time and health permits, but I do run out of energy quickly. Don't leave it too late in life to finally do all of the things that you'd like to do before the clock runs out. Having said that, if things suddenly went really badly tomorrow I would have absolutely no regrets. I've had a wonderful life surrounded by a wonderful family and couldn't ask for more ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I retired July of 2014, 3 days after turning 62. Stayed retired for around 18 months and went to work for a friend part time. Best job I ever had, work the hours I want to work and he really appreciates my being there!! I have gotten involved in BSF and a fledgling church plant and those are starting to take up more time so I may have to retire on a full time basis to keep up. I will be praying for you all with health issues.

Moderator Emeritus

I retired last year and recommend it to all except my medical people and financial advisor. My wife still works but I keep my mouth shut around her too.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Last year on June 2,I hit a milestone. On that date I became retired for 25 years and I only worked for 25 years! I was one of those lucky dogs that you read about who got an "early out", from a large Fortune 500 company,due to a plant slowdown. So,I retired at 51, and have done nothing since but serve the Lord, reload, hunt, fish and travel! I am so blessed!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

I retired in May 2009, never looked back. Have been able to load and shoot more than ever before. Don't see how I had the time to work and do all the other things I did, and now time flies. Enjoy !!
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast