MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: New Smith Cylinder, are these tooling marks?

New Smith Cylinder, are these tooling marks?

So little background... I bought this 586-8 back in July but did not shoot it until last month. It shot real well with Keith 171 grain SWCs in both 38 special (5gr Unique) and 357 (12, 12.5gr 2400). Was real happy with how it shot but when I went to clean it had quite a bit of leading on the crane/forcing cone area. Cylinders are a little tight so I figure I'll message DougGuy and send it off since I have another cylinder I also want him to look at. Out of the gun I get to looking at it and there are what look like machining marks in each of the six cylinders. Losing my mind I went to scrubbing to no avail. Thinking about it my Sp101 has leaded pretty bad in the past but never had anything that looked like this. This gun has had 100 of .38 and 50 .357 of the above mentioned loads through it since it was purchased brand new. Planning on calling customer service tomorrow unless someone can tell me I am a DIP and that they have seen fouling like this before.

So my question is this... Ever seen fouling like this before?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z4wzPBQlNUR1eOae2
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/l3ybw8tQ8AEyzJT43

I hope these picture links work, I haven't posted since the downfall of photobucket.
    -Tim in Rip City

Vendor Sponsor

That's not all fouling, there are some machine marks there that look pushed up in ridges by a dull reamer maybe? At any rate it gives the fouling a secure perch to build up on and is a booger bear to remove. I have just done a Ruger cylinder that had some of the same tool marks in it, it had a "corn row" right in the middle of the chamfer on all 6 throats, the fouling was difficult to remove, but once removed I discovered the ridge, and that ridge was the reason it was so hard to clean. The Clymer 45 Colt finishing reamer was employed to recut the front of the chamber which cured the issue nicely..

Cylinder with a slight degree of carbon fouling built up. This one isn't bad, seen them a LOT worse, if allowed to build up it will eventually impede the chambering of ammo and can impede proper opening of the case mouth when firing.

After removing the fouling, you can now see the ridge or "corn row" that was present in all 6 chambers:

After reaming with the finishing reamer, better than factory smooth results:

Last edited by DougGuy; 01-05-2018 at 01:56 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    From the peanut section, those look much alike with different lighting.

The cornrow is present in both. Just get them cleaned up, and forget about it.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Master

DougGuy, those cylinders look very nice,
    great job.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master

Great work Doug.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Gorgeous rework of that cylinder!

I probably should send Doug my 686 for the same treatment as the throats in it are a little rough too. It also needs the barrel straightened a slight amount and it has a little thread choke. Despite all that it still shoots really good, even with soft, lubed wadcutters and it doesn't lead. The Precision Delta swaged factory wadcutters on the other hand leaded up 3 different guns.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed