Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Looking for load data for .678 ball

Boolit Bub

Looking for load data for .678 ball

I am getting ready to load up some .678 round balls in shot cup loads. I would like to push the velocity to 1500 or 1600 to match 1 oz factory slug loads. Can't find any lead shot loads that fast. Is there any load data for Steel powder with lead type shot wads I can adapt?

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have any load data for Steel. I normally use Blue Dot or SR4756 for slugs.

The 0.678" balls will weigh about an ounce in WW so about any 1 oz. Slug load should work.

There are a number of 1 oz. Slug loads that should produce 1500 FPS but not sure about with Steel.

You might try BPI site and look at their Load Of The Week archive. They have some high velocity shot loads that may be suitable but again... not sure about powder.

Sorry.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Here's Lee slug loading data most of them way too hot. Where a mouthpiece if you load 49 gr blue dot.
    https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/in.../SM%203529.pdf
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

I hadn't realized it but the Slug 'R Us site lists Steel for their 490 gr. Hammerhead slug. With some wad column adjustments that should be a suitable load for 0.678" RB:

http://slugsrus.com/page35.html

That may get you going.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I would be very careful with that 32 grain Unique load. That Unique gets real pressure sensitive above 30 grains with .685 + RB.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd have to look but I have some load data for AQ slugs from BPI and they run 446 grs. so a little over an ounce. Seems to me they are pretty "hot" as well... and they are for straight walled hulls as are the Slugs 'R Us loads. That does make a difference too.

Not saying to get reckless by any means, use published known safe data!

In any case he is looking for Steel data.

My preference is Blue Dot until I find something better... or something else. Limited availability around here.

Are you getting sticky extraction at the Unique load level Mike? I have not to date really pushed Unique for high velocity.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the link. I also see they have data for long shot. That might be the ticket. I have been skeptical of blue dot because these loads may see use in some pretty cold weather.

Boolit Grand Master

I think even BPI has commented on Blue Dot being difficult to ignite in cold weather but I've not had any issues shooting in cold weather down to -15 degrees C (5 degrees F).

Not saying there might not be better choices if it can be an issue just that I haven't seen it and for me shooting in weather much colder than -15 C is not too likely unless there is a zombie apocalypse in the middle of a cold winter.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Been pondering why BPI would comment about hard ignition with Blue Dot.
    Could be an issue with actual ammo temperatures at moment of shot. Powder and / or primer just may be affected enough if the actual ammo temperature is -15.
    Maybe put a couple loads in the freezer or outside over night and compare them to those kept warm... Some rifle powders get touchy when temps get above 100 or below freezing.
    Years back old duck / goose hunters in SW Michigan would not carry their waterfowl shells outside their jackets when the temperature was staying below 35-40 degrees. Took me a few seasons to begin to understand performance was slowing down.
    Just some random thoughts at "0 dark early".
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

I have to think cold weather performance with BD is or could be a problem as not only does BPI mention it but I've seen comments about it from other sources too.

I wouldn't have figured a few degrees would make a difference once that primer flash hit the powder but... Now if we were talking -40 or so I could see that being an issue.

In any case there are probably better powder choices for cold weather if it could be a problem. I like Blue Dot and it was the only slow powder I could get here. In fact I was just recently told there is a fresh supply at the local gun store so I should get in there to buy some. I'll see if they have Steel too as it is popular with slug loads these days.

Longbow

Banned
    Greetings, its good to be back among my family. Lets see if my link works here to the image : https://imgur.com/qhrOkRZ
    https://imgur.com/l5pjrMe
    The loads were far too hot like my brother said.

Boolit Grand Master

Surely those must have been pressure tested? But having said that I don't think I would like the recoil of 49 grs. of BD under a 1 oz. slug, safe load or not!

I topped out at 38 grs. BD under the 0.735" RB which runs about 1 3/8 oz. so heavier but still.

And then there is Precision Rifle's Piledriver load data pressure tested at 12,500 PSI under a 610 gr. slug using 44 grs. of BD. I wouldn't want to be absorbing the recoil of that one either!

Maybe I am becoming a wus in my old age but shooting those off the bench is not on my to do list. I don't mind a bit of recoil but that, well... not so sure.

Longbow

Banned

I am happy to stick with Blue Dot
    Never any issue in any weather
    I agree that there comes a point where recoil is beyond what most would voluntarily endure
    Jame Gates said 28/29 grains max for Blue Dot and Tri Ball, and that is around 1,000 grains
    Blue Dot just makes sense to me as I don't need anything else where Unique drops off
    Last edited by jmort; 01-20-2018 at 04:10 PM.