Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticker Shock

Boolit Master

Sticker Shock

Well I had a bit of a surprise today buying some powder and #11 caps at the local gun store. Can't get any black powder supplies at the new Bass Pro Shop or Walmart and there is only one store within a hour drive that carries BP and caps. Boy does he have a corner on the market, $28.00 for a pound of Goex and (sit down for this one) $11.00 for a tin of #11 caps. Bought one pound of powder and one tin of caps for an upcoming shoot at the Alifia Rendezvous in three weeks just because I need them but ouch.
    Priced #11 caps and powder at Graff's and it looks like I'll stock up with caps and powder when I get back if I don't blow all my play time money rendezvousing with the boys.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Buying powder by the case is the best way to go. More than you need? Sell some to others at a slight markup to cover your shipping. Same for caps, buy by the 1000.
    Say hi to Linda Holley at Alifia if you see her. She would have no idea who Waksupi is, tell her from Ric Carter.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Waksupi, I'll look Linda up, any idea where she camps? Alifia gets big real fast. I'm over by Fort Flatulence off Wolftrack behind traders row.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    Waksupi, I'll look Linda up, any idea where she camps? Alifia gets big real fast. I'm over by Fort Flatulence off Wolftrack behind traders row.
    I couldn't say. She is an Indian hobbiest, and will most likely have the nicest teepee on the grounds. Very talented artist and historian.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Where’s the best place for bulk powder and caps?

Banned

in terms of quality black powder, for starters check out powder inc, maine powder house, crater fireworks. prices vary and change, so it pays to research vendor pricing and hazmat/shipping costs. order online in bulk and save. making a group buy through friends and/or club is the better/cheaper way to go. these dayze, most of us into muzzleloaders and bpcr/bptr are doing some form of mail order for powder and caps/primers.

Boolit Master
    I've bought powder from Graff's and they currently have caps available in 1,000 packs. Right now they are charging a $20.00 HazMat fee but also hit you with an additional 7.95 handling fee.
    My last order was for the Graff's own brand of 3F BP which I split with a shooting buddy. I can't see much difference between their brand and Geox and it was almost $10.00 per pound cheaper.
    I don't shoot BP a lot but don't want to run out down the road.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve have never shot real black powder to be honest only pyrodex and 777. I think I’m going to get some soon but am trying to find the best deals. But overall is it worth the hassle getting it over substitutes?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fastleo View Post
    I’ve have never shot real black powder to be honest only pyrodex and 777. I think I’m going to get some soon but am trying to find the best deals. But overall is it worth the hassle getting it over substitutes?
    YES ... for flintlocks ... and for the fact that REAL black powder just overall IS better than phoney "black powder" in every way.

and as well, the more people that get off subs and onto black will increase the demand for black and keep the market alive and going.

Boolit Grand Master

For me, no. I don't think there is that big a difference. Yes it is needed for flint and yes I would rather shoot the real stuff but I don't shoot it enough to have it shipped to me and go WAY out of my way. I would go some out of my way though. The subs work fine in my applications but some people for some reason find subs hard to deal with in their guns. They just don't seem to be as dependable to go off in their guns. When I do my part, the subs work for me. It is worth a try though and you'll never know how it works for you unless you try it. I do have real black now but I won't dump the subs just because I do.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    Now I’m undecided, it’s just a big investment to order 25 of black and it not be better

Banned

Now I’m undecided, it’s just a big investment to order 25 of black and it not be better
    it sounds like yer shooting cap guns? if so, then just stick with that white-devil-wannabe-bp stuff. if it appears to work ok for ya, then why not save time, money, and hassle? to each their own, and it's all good one way or t'other.

otoh, if you've never run through a pound of real black, you have nothing to compare to the white powder yer using. is there no way you can locally get some bp to test out? no local gun club? no way to check out through local gun stores if there's info on a bp shooter you can hook up with?

I will pretty much guarantee it will shoot better, under more conditions.

Boolit Grand Master

You don't have to order a full 25#, you can order 5 and make it worth while.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    I have shot bp and the subs. To me the subs shoot fine. It smells weird compared to bp but it workes. Pyrodex you have to really clean your gun good and I like to re clean and oil one or two days later but I do that with real bp. I was able to buy real in the 80's and early 90's but after that no body had it. Mail order is to expensive for me so I had to use the subs. The two cans of real I have Iam hording for the last 20 years and only have 1/4 of it left. I do like real bp better but the subs work fine.

Boolit Master

$28 per pound is just $4 pound more than 2400 at my local shop.

Boolit Grand Master

What area do you live in? Maybe someone here knows of a place close to you to buy black.
    Aim small, miss small!

Banned

while i truly believe that real bp is better in every way over the fake stuff, there is also an aesthetic allure that some of us geezers appreciate with loading and shooting the real deal bp, using firearms that emulate, or were actually built during eras of the 18th and 19th centuries. but if yer primarily a meat hunter or once-in-awhile ml user, then you won't care a fig about aesthetics or what kinda powder goes down the tube as long as it satisfies your ml requirements. and that's just fine, too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    What area do you live in? Maybe someone here knows of a place close to you to buy black.
    Newcomerstown Ohio. I found a place about 2 hrs away

rfd is spot on in every respect, you are doing yourself a tremendous disservice by not going out of your way a wee bit and get some real b/p. B/P crosses over to many straight walled rifle and pistol cartridges with excellent results in many as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast