WidenersRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time with the new pressure canner

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by iomskp View Post
    I am having a guess here that you are putting things into glass jars not cans then heating the jars in a water bath with a lid and seal, if so so am I it is the peak of mango season here and I am going flat out BOTTLING mangoes so I will have a supply for the year.
    Yes Jars, it's known as "canning" in the US.
    https://www.simplycanning.com/canning-meat.html

But for canning meat, it's not wise to use a boiling water bath to process the jars, This thread is about using a pressure cooker to process the jars.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by iomskp View Post
    I am having a guess here that you are putting things into glass jars not cans then heating the jars in a water bath with a lid and seal, if so so am I it is the peak of mango season here and I am going flat out BOTTLING mangoes so I will have a supply for the year.
    I am adding three links simply because this is a topic near and dear to my heart and guessing can be dangerous indeed.

Water bath vs pressure canning;

https://www.thespruce.com/boiling-wa...anning-1327438

https://melissaknorris.com/pioneerin...essure-cooker/

and one of my favorite sites for the novice and sage...;

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/general/recomm_canners.html

Boolit Buddy

Well a quick update... I am impatient and so Saturday morning I decided to forgo the whole storage thing and open a jar up for breakfast to try. It turned out really good with just cold packing and a little beef bullion in each jar. Then for lunch I opened another jar for nachos and that was pretty good too! I think once baby gets here (any day now...not that we are waiting lol) I will have to get the canner going again so we have some quick meals on hand that are actually remotely healthy and tasty. I may even expand a bit beyond just putting bullion in for flavoring.

You're hooked!!!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by claude View Post
    You're hooked!!!
    This is an understatement...I don't know what I am more excited about doing in my free time anymore...canning, casting, reloading, playing with my lathe, I think shooting is on that list somewhere too lol.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by guywitha3006 View Post
    SNIP...

I think once baby gets here (any day now...not that we are waiting lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by guywitha3006 View Post
    This is an understatement...I don't know what I am more excited about doing in my free time anymore...canning, casting, reloading, playing with my lathe, I think shooting is on that list somewhere too lol.
    You will have to let us know how much free time you have after your baby arrives. Congradulations !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Thanks JonB, I guessing even less with our two year old butting I am hoping with enough hobbies I can do a hour here or there. One of the nice things about canning is while it's actually under pressure it's pretty hands off. I found case prep is also a good one...work for a bit wash hands and then wrangle the little ones.

Boolit Buddy

Well baby is apparently getting comfortable, convienently the local grocery store had beef for 2.89 a pound I took it as a sign that I needed to break out the canner for round 2. Tonight we have 7 quarts of round roast with bullion and I got adventurous tonight and added some garlic. Now if only I can save some of this batch for those quick meals I had planned with the original batch. Woohoo! Depending on when baby decides to make an appearance I may start chicken this weekend.

Boolit Master
    Tri-tip works well for canning. Just the right amount of fat.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12