WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time with the new pressure canner

Boolit Buddy

First time with the new pressure canner

My parents got me pressure canner for Christmas and I finally had chance to fill it and run it. First batch is loaded some beef and some beans (separate jars). Vented for a good 10 minutes got up to pressure and officially start my 90 minute count down. i went pretty conservative this time and raw packed the beef and just added some bullion powder. I have been reading a ton on it and if may spend the weekend canning different things. Hamburger, chicken, and soup broth if all goes well. What do you guys add for spices and what amounts?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Boolit Bub
    I got a pressure canner a few years ago, but I've yet to put it to the test. Kudos for getting a canner and actually putting it to use!

Boolit Master
    Canning can become a bit of a chore, but with big payoffs. Canning your own foods is one of the steps toward self reliance.

We do beef, ham bone & bean soup, chicken broth, spaghetti sauce and a few other things. Love not having to worry about refrigeration on canned goods.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy

I'm excited to have some quick prep times meals available. At this point but the end goal is to start stocking up when stuff is on sale and available.

Smokeywolf would you mind sharing your backbone recipe? I have seen several and like comparing them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guywitha3006 View Post
    I'm excited to have some quick prep times meals available. At this point but the end goal is to start stocking up when stuff is on sale and available.

Smokeywolf would you mind sharing your backbone (ham bone) recipe? I have seen several and like comparing them.
    Don't have anything written down and this is not the recipe subforum, but I will tell you, to the basic recipe I add a half pound of fried and chopped bacon, 1/2 tsp of ground cayenne pepper and half dozen dashes of Tabasco sauce.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Hamburger,
    A warning born of experience, if you are canning ground meats, stick with wide mouth jars at the least and tapered freezer jars are better yet, nothing quite as fun as trying to dig a solid chunk of meat out of a regular mouth jar. Takes the fun out of it in a hurry. Second and probably more important, process time will always be for the item in the jar that requires the greatest length.
    I do a good deal of raw pack beef with garlic powder, chili peppers, and dried onion flakes, makes dandy beans. With albacore, I raw pack pints and add a 1/4 to half tsp of salt, nothing else, it comes out way better than anything the supermarkets have to offer.

You're most likely going to like this canning thing, I started because of limited freezer space, stayed with it because of the convenience of ready to eat goodies even with out fire or electricity.

Another "just because I been there done that", don't over tighten the bands before processing and be careful to allow the recommended headspace. For pressure canning, do use certified canning jars, with waterbath it's less critical.
    Last edited by claude; 01-04-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Smokeywolf thanks for the bacon and heat ideas.

Claude I hear you about the freezer space I might have 2" left in my chest freezer. For jars i bought to cases of Ball wide mouths. Most of what I have read recommends the wide mouth for meat. When I get to the hamburger I think I will brown it first so it crumbles.

Boolit Master

I love canning.

I'll say two things for you: canning intensifies flavors, so go lightly on spices. And the processing time (90 min for quarts) starts from when your full pressure (whatever you're going for) is reached. Not from the ten minute steaming time.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Moderator Emeritus

I moved your thread to the "cookin' recipes" section.

Here is another one thread about canning meat.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eat&highlight=

I do some Beef, I usually put a bit of smoke on it first, add a slice of fresh strong onion, I vary the spices each time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Catshooter I am already liking canning. It actually felt similar to casting in terms of relaxing...It forces you to concentrate on one thing and take a break from think about work ect. I also like the idea of less chemicals and additives in my food.

Side note, I did wait until after I plugged it and pressure was 11# on the gauge (per canner manual) before starting the timer.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by guywitha3006 View Post
    Catshooter I am already liking canning. It actually felt similar to casting in terms of relaxing...It forces you to concentrate on one thing and take a break from think about work ect. I also like the idea of less chemicals and additives in my food.

Side note, I did wait until after I plugged it and pressure was 11# on the gauge (per canner manual) before starting the timer.
    Thanks Jon, I thought after I posted it recipes may have been a better choice. Do you smoke the meat or use liquid smoke?

Moderator Emeritus

10 minutes of cold smoke in a BBQ grill.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Buddy

The lack of a temperature here late would be great for a cold smoke. Thanks for the idea. Have you canned anything like smoked. pulled pork or brisket?

*Well so far it looked good. all my jars sealed and look good. I think I overfilled the beans a bit but otherwise looks pretty good!
    Last edited by guywitha3006; 01-05-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added info (*)

Moderator Emeritus

I've done the Beef, and Northern Pike...and I do tomato's, apples, cherries, plums and such.

Generally, I only Can things I have grown in abundance or have gotten for free or nearly free...or in the case of Beef, I've done that only twice, with roasts I got from a 1/4 of beef purchase, they were so tough, they almost couldn't be cooked or processed any other way and be enjoyable to eat.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Buddy
    I pressure can a lot of my deer meat. It is a good bit of work but is well worth it in the long run. When my freezer went out I lost a lot of stuff. Could have been prevented if I had canned more

Moderator Emeritus

I don't pressure can a lot but i have the jars on hand should I run into a very extended power outage. Enough to can 1/4 of beef(200 pounds).

Zero experience with home canning. I don't even recall any relatives doing it when I was a kid. But it's something that interests me. My wife, however, is dead set against it. Kinda like everything else I have an interest in......

I'm pressure canning peanuts today for the first time. THe first batch, it seems boiled out half of the brine. Did I not tighten the lids enough?

Banned

yup I wont buy anything but wide mouth jars anymore. Still have a pile of small mouth large and small jars. I mostly use them for things I might give away. Or for something like chicken and broth to put away for future soups.
    Quote Originally Posted by claude View Post
    A warning born of experience, if you are canning ground meats, stick with wide mouth jars at the least and tapered freezer jars are better yet, nothing quite as fun as trying to dig a solid chunk of meat out of a regular mouth jar. Takes the fun out of it in a hurry. Second and probably more important, process time will always be for the item in the jar that requires the greatest length.
    I do a good deal of raw pack beef with garlic powder, chili peppers, and dried onion flakes, makes dandy beans. With albacore, I raw pack pints and add a 1/4 to half tsp of salt, nothing else, it comes out way better than anything the supermarkets have to offer.

You're most likely going to like this canning thing, I started because of limited freezer space, stayed with it because of the convenience of ready to eat goodies even with out fire or electricity.

Another "just because I been there done that", don't over tighten the bands before processing and be careful to allow the recommended headspace. For pressure canning, do use certified canning jars, with waterbath it's less critical.

Boolit Buddy
    I am having a guess here that you are putting things into glass jars not cans then heating the jars in a water bath with a lid and seal, if so so am I it is the peak of mango season here and I am going flat out BOTTLING mangoes so I will have a supply for the year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast