RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need cast load data for 9.3x74R

Need cast load data for 9.3x74R

I did a search, did not find a lot, most of it pretty well aged posts.

Just starting to fool with the 9.3x74R. Ordered up a NOE 368-280 mold.
    I've got a batch cast, sized, G/C and lubed.

Looking for load data, thought first try would be 5744, 40% to base of bullet has worked for me for other cartridges.

Hoping someone has some loads they have used with the same/similar boolit.

I have 4759, 4198, Blue Dot, Green Dot and several other cast powder candidates.

More in the low end plinker/target type loads, I don't need boomer hunting loads.

Thanks,

I know my lee 2nd edition has some jacketed info, you would have to back down from that, and they will all be slower powders, like 4895,6064,rel-15 and the like. I'm about to hit the sack, but i'll try to post some loads from there tomorrow, just remember that you are on your own with converting loads to be suitable for lead, I would ask about that, but I think people usually download j-ed loads by 10% for cast.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

15meter I have not fired a shot with my 9.3x74R as of yet. I have recently loaded up some j-words bullets for break-in on my Ruger No.1. I will do some careful measurements before I order a new mold for mine from Accurate. However I called and got the following information from Accurate for 5744 powder. Here is what I received from them for a 286 grain bullet weight; Low load-28 grains (1525'/s); Mid-range load-32 grains (1775'/s); Maximum load-38 grains (2125'/s). These loads are what they term "reduced loads. I also have loads they list as "Full power loads" using Accurate 4064 if you are interested.
    As I said I have not tried these as of yet so I cannot speak pro or con on them. I do think these are for jacketed. For cast boolits, I will probably use slightly lower loads than these to start and also add a small amount of Dacron as a filler. Haven't made it that far yet.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    15meter I have not fired a shot with my 9.3x74R as of yet. I have recently loaded up some j-words bullets for break-in on my Ruger No.1. I will do some careful measurements before I order a new mold for mine from Accurate. However I called and got the following information from Accurate for 5744 powder. Here is what I received from them for a 286 grain bullet weight; Low load-28 grains (1525'/s); Mid-range load-32 grains (1775'/s); Maximum load-38 grains (2125'/s). These loads are what they term "reduced loads. I also have loads they list as "Full power loads" using Accurate 4064 if you are interested.
    As I said I have not tried these as of yet so I cannot speak pro or con on them. I do think these are for jacketed. For cast boolits, I will probably use slightly lower loads than these to start and also add a small amount of Dacron as a filler. Haven't made it that far yet.
    I ordered the Noe 9.3, very blunt nosed bullet. I have to seat them very deep to get it to chamber. The factory ammo I have is a very long ogive. Watch that before you spec out a mold. The 5744 data I calculated myself. For cast, you weigh the charge to the base of a seated bullet and multiple by .40 and .48 for your min/max charges. This came from a book on double rifles. I was hoping for an alternative to 5744(read cheaper!).

I can send you a some sample boolits to see if they will chamber better in your rifle.

Boolit Master

15meter Thank you for the load info! I will do some calculating to see how that works out for me using your formula. I am with you on finding a cheaper powder. 5744 is some of the most expensive powder from what I have seen. I have some SR4759 that I think will work but haven't found any loading info for it. I would REALLY appreciate some sample boolits to see how they work in my rifle. I will shoot you a PM with info. I am getting ready to make up some brass for my Hornady LNL COAL gauge. I was going to try to get a cast boolit that will hit the crimp groove when it is about .02-.04 off the rifling. I don't know if I can do that or not but I like to seat my boolits long and just short of contact with the rifling. I am anxious to see how it feels to shoot the 9.3x74R. As I said, I have not had it too long and have not gotten to shoot it yet. I got a box of 50 286 gr. Hornady bullets with the rifle so I thought I'd get some trigger time in and break it in at the same time. Thanks again.
    Stan
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    15 Meter, I use 28.5 gr 5744 with the NOE 368 280 (1686 fs) with great results. Have used up to 42.0 IMR 3031, (2000+ fs) but 38.0 gr is more accurate (1883fs). I use a 1gr tuft of dacron with the 3031 loads. I fluff it up so it fills ALL the space over the powder such that the bullet pushes it down slightly when seated.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMoccasin View Post
    15 Meter, I use 28.5 gr 5744 with the NOE 368 280 (1686 fs) with great results. Have used up to 42.0 IMR 3031, (2000+ fs) but 38.0 gr is more accurate (1883fs). I use a 1gr tuft of dacron with the 3031 loads. I fluff it up so it fills ALL the space over the powder such that the bullet pushes it down slightly when seated.
    Trying to steer clear of any loads that recommend fillers, I have read too many stories of rings in chambers shooting with fillers. This is a Chapuis that belongs to a friend, I can't afford to replace it. If I ringed the chamber in this rifle my wife would have me living in the barn for the next ten years. Now, I really like my shop, just not enough to move in.

Boolit Master

15meter I hear you on the use of fillers and caution due to ringing a chamber or a barrel. I will say that I have fired many many loads of 5744 in my 505 Gibbs shooting a 525 grain boolit with about 1.5 gr on dacron fluffed out to fill the void between the powder and the boolit base and have not experienced any difficulty at all. In fact I had a good conversation with a guy at Accurate where I got my loading information for my Gibbs and Accurate 5744. He also shot a .505 Gibbs and recommended a gas check boolit and the dacron filler. So I would not tell you what to do with a filler on the 9.3x74R and either cast or jacketed boolits/bullets. But I plan on working up a load with the dacron filler just as I have done with my Gibbs. I feel perfectly safe in doing so. I must ask if the above loading info of 28.5 gr of 5744 and the 42 gr of IMR 3031 is for the 9.3x74R? I do as NorthMoccasin does in his last line where he states "I fluff it up so it fills ALL the space over the powder such that the bullet pushed it down slightly when seated". I do it exactly this way. I fired two rounds today in my 9.3x74R just to get the feel of the rifle. It was pleasant to shoot with 56 grains of IMR 4831 with an estimated velocity of 2060 '/s. Bullet was a 286 grain Hornady interlock SP-RP. No filler. Standard primer. RWS brass. Thanks for the info and look forward to hearing from you about the loading info from NorthMoccasin.

Boolit Buddy
    S. Turkey, yes the data is for the 9.3X74 in a Ruger #1. I have used fillers as described for decades without issue in calibers from 25/35 to 45/70.

Boolit Master

NorthMoccasin thanks for the info on loading your 9.3x74R. I also have a No. 1 in 9.3x74R. I am new with this caliber. I just shot it twice for the first time today. I purchased the rifle with sizing die, mold, dies, gas checks, and a new box of 50 Hornady 286 gr bullets. I believe the rifle was unfired when I received it. As such I am going to shoot the jacketed bullets as a barrel break-in procedure. I sold the mold I received with the rifle and plan on ordering a two cavity mold from Accurate Molds as soon as I get a good handle on the proper location of the crimp groove when it is about .003 off the lands with a trimmed case. At this point I am considering a two cavity brass gas checked design of about 286 grains. My Ruger has a .3658 groove diameter, and if I recall correctly a 1:10 barrel twist. The basic boolit design I am considering is the Accurate #37-285A. So back to the loading information you supplied for the 9.3x74R. I certainly appreciate the loading info. I am a believer in the dacron used for a filler with my 5744 powder. That is my standard procedure for loading my 505 Gibbs. I was glad to see your method of sizing it and placing it within the case. That is exactly how I do it and it has always worked for me and my chronograph information seems to indicate that it helps produce a consistent and accurate load. Any pointers you have for me on the 9.3x74R will be appreciated as I am a green horn at the moment when it comes to reloading for one.

Boolit Buddy
    smoked turkey, I love this cal. in the number one. It is one of my most accurate CB rifles. The NOE 368 280 seems perfect to me. I have a 4 cavity brass rg4 HP mold and it casts either a deep HP, a cup point and a flat point by changing pins. the mold is a beautiful piece of machining. The Ruger has a short throat, requiring deep seating of the Hornady 286. I have had good luck with the Speer 270gr, and either of the Norma 232gr. NOE has gas checks. I size cast to .368. I also have an old Lyman 240gr PB mold that I plan to play with when I get a chance. I will probably keep loads less than 1400 fs with it.

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    I also have a Ruger No. 1 and use the NOE 280gr. I have had very good luck by water dropping the boolits and sizing to .368 and using IMR 4895 or Varget. I've gotten good accuracy to 2100 fps. Not the light loads you were after but 45 grains 4895 and a Dacron filler worked great and recoil wasn't bad. Have yet to shoot a deer with this load but I don't think penetration will be an issue.

Boolit Buddy
    I have shot the NOE 368-280 at 2050fs with 42gr IMR 3031. I may try heat treating a few to see how they do.

The first load I used is 26 grains 5744, have not shot them, got ice so doing that until it goes away. Still hoping to find someone with loads for other powders in the 1500 fps and down range. Wish I could remember my COL, dang geezer memory. Computer is in the house and the ammo is in the shed. By the time I get to the house I've lost dimensions like that.

Smoked Turkey, the boolits I sent you are from the single NOE .368 mold he lists, I have a 2 cavity GC. The alloy is 50/50 range lead/telephone lead. This stuff does cast very nice boolits. Had a buddy who worked for the phone company and he supplied me with a bunch of phone lead. Good stuff. He's retired so he can't get it anymore. For what I am doing I could probably go down to 80/20 range/phone lead. I don't want to push them hard these are just plinker loads. The gas checks are gator checks and the lube is blue lube I bought from NOE.
    I sized them in a sizer I bought from Lathesmith @.367, nice sizer, fast turn around on the order.

The 15meter is one of my iceboat classes that I own(have 4). The name 15 Meter is still a bit of an oddity because it was for an iceboat design in Toledo Ohio in the late 30's. Every dimension of the boat is inch except for the sail area that is in metric. Alcohol was probably involved. Do a Google search for images of 15 Meter iceboats and you should be able to see multiple examples. There are still a number of them sailing after 80 years. Mine is not on the ice, it is going through a complete overhaul--strip/refinish/repair. Building a new mast along the way, a 29 foot x 7 inch x 3.5 inch hollow lamination takes a little while. Already have a half gallon epoxy, and a gallon of varnish into it. Should take more than another gallon of epoxy and 2 or three gallons of varnish.

NorthMoccasin thanks for the info on loading your 9.3x74R. I also have a No. 1 in 9.3x74R. I am new with this caliber. I just shot it twice for the first time today. I purchased the rifle with sizing die, mold, dies, gas checks, and a new box of 50 Hornady 286 gr bullets. I believe the rifle was unfired when I received it. As such I am going to shoot the jacketed bullets as a barrel break-in procedure. I sold the mold I received with the rifle and plan on ordering a two cavity mold from Accurate Molds as soon as I get a good handle on the proper location of the crimp groove when it is about .003 off the lands with a trimmed case. At this point I am considering a two cavity brass gas checked design of about 286 grains. My Ruger has a .3658 groove diameter, and if I recall correctly a 1:10 barrel twist. The basic boolit design I am considering is the Accurate #37-285A. So back to the loading information you supplied for the 9.3x74R. I certainly appreciate the loading info. I am a believer in the dacron used for a filler with my 5744 powder. That is my standard procedure for loading my 505 Gibbs. I was glad to see your method of sizing it and placing it within the case. That is exactly how I do it and it has always worked for me and my chronograph information seems to indicate that it helps produce a consistent and accurate load. Any pointers you have for me on the 9.3x74R will be appreciated as I am a green horn at the moment when it comes to reloading for one.
    Re-reading the posts in this thread and noticed you mentioned a crimp groove, gotta ask the question, why a crimp groove on boolits for a single shot?

Boolit Master

15meter that is a good question. One answer to that is that old habits die hard I guess. That could be part of the reason. However, my reading and study of ballistics say that a firm and consistent crimp assures a more complete and consistent powder burn which results in lower shot to shot deviations and will give slightly better accuracy from shot to shot. I use an "M" die on all my cast rifle stuff and I do think that if I do my homework with sizing the boolit and use the proper "M" die that also assures more consistent neck tension on the boolit. Not that I handle my ammunition in a rough manner, but a crimp also makes the loaded round more likely to keep the same overall length when compared to a non crimped round. You have me rambling here to try to justify what I have always done. I tend to agree that it is not as important with a single shot as it is with a bolt gun or especially a semiautomatic. All that being said, I will have to give your question a little more study.

15meter that is a good question. One answer to that is that old habits die hard I guess. That could be part of the reason. However, my reading and study of ballistics say that a firm and consistent crimp assures a more complete and consistent powder burn which results in lower shot to shot deviations and will give slightly better accuracy from shot to shot. I use an "M" die on all my cast rifle stuff and I do think that if I do my homework with sizing the boolit and use the proper "M" die that also assures more consistent neck tension on the boolit. Not that I handle my ammunition in a rough manner, but a crimp also makes the loaded round more likely to keep the same overall length when compared to a non crimped round. You have me rambling here to try to justify what I have always done. I tend to agree that it is not as important with a single shot as it is with a bolt gun or especially a semiautomatic. All that being said, I will have to give your question a little more study.
    All good points, COL, neck tension/boolit pull consistency are important. Not rolling into a crimp groove which is hard on expensive brass and not having to be as fussy about case length on the other hand. Choices, choices.

Got to be somebody out there shooting mouse fart loads for the 9.3x74.

Anybody?

15meter, I just don't have time yet.
    My next fun ones are planned to be paper patched #358430 with black.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    15meter, I just don't have time yet.
    My next fun ones are planned to be paper patched #358430 with black.
    Steering clear of black, a buddies rifle and just looking for dinger ringing ammo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dinger lantern.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	217735

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast