Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: beam scale recomendations

One word---Redding.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Started with an Ohaus 1010, loved it. Have moved many times over the years, it is still packed away. Inherited a no name oil damped scale from my younger brother. Neither of us ever put any oil in it. Just dump powder in it and carefully stop any pan swing by holding a finger against it and slowly release pressure. Works great. Picked up a RCBS, don't remember the model number. Have used it one time, it worked fine. The same could probably be said of most big name scales. Just be sure to get one that has enough capacity to measure your heaviest bullet/cartridge/powder charge.

Boolit Master
    Depends on how you plan to use it.

If you want xx.x powder weight and will trickle to it, a Lee is just as good as any. If want to weight what something dumps, Lee is not the one.

What I mean is: the Lee is not good for finding what something weighs, although it will do it, it is not real handy for that job.. Any other scale will do that job much better. However, if you want, say 27.2 or what ever weight, set the Lee scale to that weight and trickle to the scale is level. It will do that job just as well as any $150 dollar scale.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Grand Master

Another thing I recommend with a scales is a set of check weights. Lyman or RCBS are fine here. A simple little set that allows you to check a scales to make sure its reading correctly. Or if used in groups they can be used to check the scales setting also. A little thing but like any measuring insterment they need to be checked and or calibrated occasionally. On my one reloading bench the scales sits on a shelf with sliding doors, When in use I open them when not close them. My Dial o Grain I made a plexi glass cover for to set over it when not in use. I wish Id have hinged the front panel now so it could be swung open out of the way for use, picking it up and setting it some place is a pain after awhile.

Boolit Master
    I picked this up for $40

Boolit Master
    If you can find one, either the RCBS 304 above or its daddy, the Ohaus 3100. They're harder to find than hen's teeth.

That said, there's a RCBS 304 on "that auction site" for $300.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    I picked this up for $40
    I believe that is stealing in ALL lower 48 states!!!!!
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Boolit Mold
    The guy has a rcbs 5-10 scale excellent shape for $55 bringing it to me this weekend. He lives over 100 miles away, but is coming to my area to visit friends. Guarantees that it works and is calibrated. Sounds like a good deal to me. Watching YouTube videos on it so much simpler to use that the lee scale. This is an older scale, not one of the newer ones. Anything to check for before I fork over the $$. Good deal if it works as advertised??

Boolit Buddy
    Very little to go wrong if it's been used sensibly. Check that it repeats to zero by taking off and replacing the pan several times and have a good look at the knife edges, there shouldn't be any chips or burrs and they should be flat right to the tips. The Agate bearings should be free to wobble around. It would also be nice to check for accuracy with a known checkweight. Get a bullet or coin weighed at your local pharmacy so you know the exact weight. Repeatability is more important that exact accuracy.

Here's one I tuned up a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVtYglAd9Dc

Another with a Lyman D5 bought used last year.

Boolit Buddy
    I watched YouTube videos with different scales. I chose the Dillon Beam Scale. It is the easiest to read to me.

doc606,
    I hope the 5-10 checks out OK.

I have a Redding (I guess #1) that has the original brown crinkle finish. I bought it used in '61 & it checks out perfect against any digital that I checked it against. The old ones did not use plastic parts & will do the job if they haven't been mistreated.

Henry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12