Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: RCBS 10-10 missing feet

Boolit Master

RCBS 10-10 missing feet

Being a bit too cold to go outside and play here in Virginia I finally turned my attention to my RCBS scale project on the reloading bench. I have a post down in the WTB section detailing the broken rear pivot feet, so I won’t re-hash it all here, but decided to go for a more permanent solution should a replacement base not be found to put it back in service.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-stripped-base

I took stock of my current capabilities and tooling and gave up on all the grandiose plans of machined blocks, precision adjustable feet and all other sorts of complicated detailed repairs and went a more realistic simple route. A short search of the wood scrap pile yielded a nice straight grain piece of oak which was cut to length then flanged on a radial arm saw to make a step to fit inside the base and fine-tuned to be level across the scale base. A little JB weld and a day later, (side note—is it ever possible to use this stuff and not find a dab of it stuck to the back of your hand or arm later on in the day?) I now had a place to add some semi-hard plastic stick on rounded feet from the hardware isle at Wally World. I figure if these hold up on the glass cutting board in the kitchen they should be fine for this. I leveled out the base with the zero screw and did the usual shuffle with the shot in the pan balancing act for this type scale and now everything is dead on repeatedly accurate across the board with the test weights (no surprise).
    Attachment 211374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10 10 feet.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	211375

Boolit Grand Master

Cool!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    Nicely done! Sometimes we over think a project but you came to your senses and did a good job. Speaking of the pan. A couple of years ago I found a project scale at a local pawn shop (505). Missing the pan. No Biggie! Just ordered up a replacement and put it to work----NOT! Old man with poor eyes and the shakes and about a bazillion 8 or 9 shot pellets. I finally got it set and only used a few dozen swear words and am good to go. I bought the pan on sale so I only have about 20-25 bucks in the deal. I like beam scales. No batteries or electricity of any kind, no tricky calibrations and repeat calibrations. It balances or it doesn't and you make an adjustment. Then you are good to go. I would like to have an older 10-10 but can't really justify the cost as the 505 and my old standby Redding work just fine. Again, I think you did a fine job and thanks for the pictures to go with!

Boolit Buddy
    Good job - It'll still be working and doing it's job just same long after any current digital scale is in the bin.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice looking repair there. It should last a long time for you. It may have been easier than replacing the body and getting it back right even.

Boolit Master

Missing feet- still able to work? Food stamps? Welfare? Disabled Social Security? Lots of possibilities.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

In Remembrance

Did you try contacting RCBS about those feet to be replaced yet?Robert

great job man , looks great

Bought an older used Lyman D7 scale. On one end it looked like it should have a couple feet or something in the holes underneath. It would not level without sliding something under that end, less than 1/4" thick. So I used what I had, 22 hollow point bullits. Taped a couple in and presto. Leveled and checked with my check weights, good old gray scale.