WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: On This Day 2008...

Vendor Sponsor

On This Day 2008...

On this day 2008, I parted ways with a beloved friend, a custom close to my heart, a dearly loved pastime that had become a way of life, I gave up drinking.

Of all the vices I carried and tried, none were as comforting or as meaningful as drinking. I had gotten SO good at doing things so that they would not come between me and my favorite habit, I went WELL out of my way to be careful driving, I was very practiced at it and very good at it, I never wrecked, ran off the road, or ran anybody else off the road, and I pushed the envelope as long and as hard as I could. I was a perfectly functional alcoholic. I could do everything just fine, I just did it with a certain amount of alcohol in my system.

I knew some day that something was going to happen to cause me to quit, but try as I might I just couldn't think of what it might be that would have this much influence over me to make me commit to a decision like that.

In the end, the very thing that let me drink for as long as I did without any major problems or catastrophes from it, was the very thing that allowed me to quit and walk away without ever turning back. I had worn it out. Like a dog with a snake between his teeth, shaking his head until there is NO life left in the snake, I had completely gone through the challenge, there was none left anymore, I had become bored with drinking. I had pretty much done everything I intended to do.

On this day in 2008, I got pulled over for doing 70 in a 35, the officer ran me in, when I refused to blow he gave me a phone book to call an attorney, after about 20mins I realized the phone book was 19yrs old, and that him being a member of the most entrenched and organized crime family on the Atlantic Seaboard, the North Carolina Highway Patrol, there was nothing I could do or say was going to make any difference anyway so I let him do his thing.

When I got out of jail the next morning, I hitched a ride to my van and luckily it was still sitting on the side of the road untouched from the day before. I got in, saw that there was still an ice cold 6 pack sitting there, I slid the side door open and rolled it out into the ditch, and drove away. The decision was not a hard one to make, it was an automatic decision.

It was funny how I never had any doubts that I was done once and for all, I never worried about going back, I was never really tempted to drink so much as even a beer.

If someone would have told me then, how much I would enjoy sobriety now, I would have confidently informed them just how full of **** they were. Sometimes it feels awful good to be wrong.

Happy 2018 fellas, may your joys out weigh your sorrows, may your blessings be many.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I am glad you're on the wagon. My dad was a drunk, and I didnt want to follow that path, so I never tried it.

Boolit Master
    DougGuy: I've worked with (and for) several alcoholics over the years, and my current best friend is one. I realize the strength and courage that it took to make the decision to stop! Good on ya!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I have a brother in law going through that battle right now.

Boolit Grand Master

I've watched several really good friends self-destruct with alcohol. It's not pretty and it robs me of something close to my heart.

Blessings to all who realize the consequences and distance themselves.
    I personally never found anything positive about drinking. Like most teens, I tried it, but couldn't stand the loss of controle.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My father self-destructed with wine. He got quite larcenous and irrational for some time towards the end. It was not pretty...

It seems like many of those I've known who drink to excess are all very angry inside, & use it to suppress that anger; Doesn't seem to work well...

I can understand a bit of ethanol for social relaxing or muscle cramps or just to enjoy a cold one on a hot summer's day I never liked overdoing it, I own me.

But - for certain - booze is a NASTY master, if it's trying to take me over I'll banish it. And I can sure support anyone who needs to stop and who does so

Boolit Master
    Congratulations on your 10 years!
    Bob

Boolit Master

great glad to hear it. I too had a problem like yours I stopped in 1983

Boolit Master
    Congratulations......

Congrats DougGuy. You're on your way. My Dad was an drunk all the time I knew him. Always blaming someone else for his problems. My daughter was one too, but she finely married a real nice guy and they come to an understanding and both quit drinking the same time and at least from what I know, haven't looked back. I suppose I could have been one to but finely cut way back on the hooch. My ex accused me of being one (while she was drunk). I'm up to one or two a month, she's up to about 7 or 8 binges a month and her 3rd husband. Oh well, I guess it ain't my worry now. It hasn't beem for at least 30 years, thank goodness.
    Any way dad was so bad I thought I had to arrest him while I was copping back in the '80's. Instead I had a Iowa State Trooper arrest him while I stood by. Shortly after that the mayor fired me, and I had to change jobs. He was a friend of dad's. That's the way a small town works I guess.
    Rob

Boolit Master

You are one lucky or Blessed man - Which ever you choose. I know which one i would choose. We are a Blessed bunch to have you here.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

Out of the treasure of the heart the mouth speaks. Good word!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations on making that decision and sticking to it. Thats quite a testimony.

Boolit Master
    Hi DougGuy.Outstanding sir.My self,I enjoy a cold beer or a mixed drink from time to time,but I never tried to make a full time job of it.Saw too many lives ruined by it.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    19/10/2008 at 2300Hrs NZ time, I was in New Zealand on a shooting holiday ran out of things to drink in the unit we were staying in, never bothered since.

Boolit Master

The mind is a powerful thing,when I quit smoking in 1976 I was hacking and coughing spitting and sputtering I took a nearly full pack of cigs,poured coffee in the pack and never looked back,Did similar with a box of Skoal but I did have withdrawal symptoms for about 2 weeks after quitting the Skoal.I did not try to quit the Skoal until after I had lost all my teeth.My gums would swell up and I could press on them and bloody discharge would come from them.If you are using Skoal or Copenhagen quit now and hopefully save your teeth.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

Congratulations DougGuy! As a retired Minister with Churches of Christ/Christian Churches, I had my share of attempting to assist people get off the sauce. One memorable man had been reared in the church but fell into the alcoholic ditch. I worked through his wife to get her to cease enabling him. When that happened, he pitched a fit but she told him that if he laid a hand on her, her father and her brothers would kill him. That was the beginning of the end of his alcoholism. Last time I went back to speak at that congregation, he was there and is still dry. Praise the Lord! Big Boomer

Boolit Master

Doug, I stopped drinking alcohol 28Dec98.

It was nothing for me to drink a gallon of vodka over a weekend. I drank myself to sleep every night.
    If I was going out for an evening, I would start with a 1/2 pint at work, drink a 12 pack on the way home and during getting ready to go out, then go out to drink.

I was never ticketed for DUI, but I did wake up in some bizarre places.

I quit for the same reason you did. I was done. There was nothing left in alcohol for me. I was tired of it. Put it down and walked away.

I quit a 3-pack habit the same way, in 1993.

To this day I have a liquor cabinet, for guests. I haven't missed it at all, except occasionally I miss the taste of a good beer with a steak.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I am glad you're on the wagon. My dad was a drunk, and I didnt want to follow that path, so I never tried it.
    Same boat for me. Glad Doug overcame something that caused me some unhappiness as a child.

Boolit Master

Congrats i'm going on 5 years just woke up one day and quit
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies