MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: LongShot in .45 Colt???

Boolit Master

LongShot in .45 Colt???

Has anyone used LongShot in .45 Colt? I've been using it in .357 and have had good to great results. I haven't found any data for LongShot in .45 Colt and I'm about ready to start wading in the waters of $4it creek and experimenting. I'll be using 454424 or 454190 to start with and probably start around 10 grains of LongShot.

Anyone have yeahs or neahs or better data?
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I think Longshot is supposed to be the Hodgdon replacement for HS7, so I don't see why it shouldn't be a good powder for Ruger only loads in 45 Colt. For lighter loads I think I'd go with a faster powder.

Have you checked the Hodgdon website? If they don't have anything there, I'd call Hodgdon to see what they say.

Boolit Master
    There is Hodgdon data published for .357 and .44 Magnums, and 454 Casull. So I'm sure it'll work fine in my Blackhawk .45 Colt. I'll bet its just not high on their priority list to test loads for .45 Colt. I say that believing most .45 Colt loads are "cowboy" loads and are better suited for faster powders.

Calling Hodgdon is not a bad idea, just not too practical for my work schedule. Hmm, I wonder about email... I'll look into it.
    Last edited by shooting on a shoestring; 08-31-2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: To put enough d's in Hodgdon
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    SOAS,
    Your question rung a bell. I looked through my back Handloaders and found in number 246 (April 2007) an article by Brian Pearce that lists loads for the RCBS 270 SAA. He has two Longshot loads in here. The boolit weighs 280 grains and both loads use a CCI 300 primer.
    The 14,000 PSI load is 9.5 grains of Longshot for 959 FPS
    The 32,000 CUP load is 13 grains of Longshot for 1207 FPS ONLY FOR USE IN BLACKHAWK, REDHAWK, FA OR SIMILIAR STRENGTH GUNS

I use this boolit a lot, but I don't use Longshot in it. I like you though use it in 357 and like it, and IMO it is the best 12 slug, and high velocity game load powder out there. I also use it in +P 45 acp loads with a 230 jacketed hp and it is a great powder for that too.
    Sounds like you're right in line with the 250-260 grains of boolit with 10 grains.
    Good Luck, hope this helps.
    PS, Brian worked up the loads with a Ruger Blackhawk, with a 5.5" barrel.

Banned

i tried about 10.5 under a hornady250 xtp it was plenty stout.