Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Mold for the 300 Blackout in a Bolt Action Rifle

Boolit Buddy

Mold for the 300 Blackout in a Bolt Action Rifle

I am looking for a mold for the Blackout to be used in a Ruger Ranch Rifle(bolt), so far i have a list but am not sure what the best would be to start with. I will only be punching paper with it and maybe some small game hunting but mostly paper. The ones I am looking at are listed below so any comments would be appreciated.

All of these are Lee Molds
    C312 155 2R
    C309 170 F
    C309 150 F
    C309 160 1R
    C309 120 R
    311 100 2R
    Thanks for your comments
    We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever. Currahee

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by whtsmoke View Post
    I am looking for a mold for the Blackout to be used in a Ruger Ranch Rifle(bolt), so far i have a list but am not sure what the best would be to start with. I will only be punching paper with it and maybe some small game hunting but mostly paper. The ones I am looking at are listed below so any comments would be appreciated.

C312 155 2R
    C309 170 F
    C309 150 F
    C309 160 1R
    C309 120 R
    311 100 2R
    Thanks for your comments
    You are not going to like the answer
    Of the above moulds C309 160 1R would be your best choice

reasons
    C312 155 2R Could work you would have to try
    nose dia prop too big and if you have to extract a live round bullet might stick in Barrel
    Doing a nose size is a extra step and not worth the time or the cost of a special sizing die

C309 170 F & C309 150 F the flat nose will prob cause it to jam = you would have to try it

C309 120 R # 311 100 2R prob too short to feed good prob cause it to jam = you would have to try it

Noe has several moulds prob better then the ones you picked with 1-2or 3 lube groouves more than that you will have problems
    also bullets that have lots of lube groouves pick up more dirt etc and nose are larger dia = stick in Barrel

as a Plus you can buy moulds with 2-3-4-5 Cavities

Boolit Master

C312 155 2R
    C309 170 F
    C309 150 F
    C309 160 1R
    C309 120 R
    311 100 2R
    Thanks for your comments
    I have run the first 3 listed above in my AR and they all fed fine.
    It’s more about what will shoot well. The 170 F was a shotgun pattern for me. Don’t remember what the 150F did but the 1552r was shooting about 2 MOA with a poor front rest and me behind the gun.
    Thats without load development. Just tossing out a load to try for function.

Boolit Buddy

I use the C312-155-2R with good results. I size them down to 0.309 with a Lee push through when I put on the GC.
    Good looking boolit!

Boolit Bub
    +1 on the c312-155-2R. I use it in multiple 300 BO chambers. Lubed and sized to .309 , Lubed and unsized, PC'ed and sized .309. And also other 30 caliber loadings. And a 2 cavity mold is cheap to try.

Boolit Buddy

nope i appreciate your advice, curious tho are you talking about for use in a AR platform or a bolt action? I will be using them in a bolt gun.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    The only one I've not seen good reports on in the BLK are the little 100 2R, but I don't know why it wouldn't work, but in a 1-10 you're going to see better accuracy with the 120 grainer, unless I miss my bet,,,,,,

I know many get good accuracy with .309, I've gotten pretty firm on sizing to .310.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    The 155 is a pretty good bullet, so is the 170. I would choose depending on if I wanted to shoot bigger stuff or not. You save a little lead going with the lighter design if you’re just punching paper. The 155 is a pointy bullet, so it’s not as good a choice for shooting critters as the 150F would be.

FWIW I have a silencer on my Ranch Rifle in 300 so I mostly shoot the really heavy (230+) bullets with it.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

I vote for the Lee 155gr. I have the RAR in 300blk too. Sized to .311" lubed with BAC or 2500+ and loaded over 15gr IMR4227 it shoots sub 1" 5 shot groups at 50 yards and close to sub moa 5 shot groups at 100 yards. 1.25"
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

I've used the C309F in my AR with good not great results. 1-7" twist straight ww water quenched.
    It should work fine in your RRR and at 1800 fps will kill close range deer/pigs and targets.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the suggestions, midway has them on sale right now i think I will pick up a couple of them. The 309-150 F and the 312-155-2R. I can cast over the winter months for both rifle and handgun.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the suggestions, midway has them on sale right now i think I will pick up a couple of them. The 309-150 F and the 312-155-2R. I can cast over the winter months for both rifle and handgun.
    Have you ever check Shootingsupply on eBay? He always has very good prices too. 19.99 for the lee 2 cavity all the time. I know sometimes midway shipping is a killer so it might be worth comparing them.

Boolit Buddy

I was breaking my Lee 312-155-2R mold in today for my 300 Blackout bolt gun and my bullets are dropping at .314 inches, the alloy was what was left in my pot from casting 45 Colt bullets and added some loose mono that i had to top it off. They are hard as you can'y scratch them with your nails and they weigh around 145 grains. for break in I am not to picky as i can use known alloy the next time but do you think they are worth wasting powder on?

Shoot em up.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned
    I use the C312 155 2R in a 6 cavity at @ 15 BHN drops @ 152gn over H110

Boolit Buddy

sure are some purdy bullets