MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Alloy choices as COWWs become scarce

Alloy choices as COWWs become scarce

As the old timers tell us, COWWs are becoming less and less available as time goes by. Of the more common sources of lead, COWWs seem to be the most reliable sources of "enough" antimony and "some" tin. SOWWs are almost pure lead, range lead can be anything (but most likely average a bit of antimony and a bit of tin), and plumbers/sheet lead is almost pure. Radiation shielding seems to vary between very pure and some with a profile close to that of COWWs if I am reading things correctly.

I have a stash of COWW ingots that I will add to if such shows up at a price I find acceptable. In the meantime, it seems like SOWWs and range lead are the most readily available sources at modest prices (I do not smelt, so I am an ingot buyer). I shoot more 38 special than anything else, so I am thinking that I really should just save the COWWs for higher pressure applications and use the more readily available stuff. I have been successful at snooping around local thrift shops for inexpensive pewter, so I am thinking that some range lead plus 2 or 3% added pewter should produce sufficiently hard boolits for standard pressure 38 special. I pay little enough for the pewter that it doesn't add material cost to the total and the added tin should make the boolits fill out really nicely.

Any obvious problems with this way of thinking? Clearly if I wanted something more racy like Lyman #2 I could buy some rotometals superhard and mix up the desired alloy with SOWWs/range lead, superhard, and pewter, so a COWW dearth isn't the end of the world. Since I don't need to use it for 38s, I figure I might as well get used to using alternative sources.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Grand Master

I expect the next go to is going to be range scrap.

Boolit Master

I agree. We are already seeing more range scrap available than just a year ago.

I use straight range scrap for everything handgun, until I get over about 1200fps. Even then, I sometimes can gas check the scrap and make it work.

I'm not yet into rifle work, so we'll see how that comes out.

Boolit Master
    I think you are going to see more group buys for the 2-6-92 alloys and then cut with either soft scrap or pure lead. Much of the alloy we are seeing is probably going to contain small amounts of arsenic anyway so the HT/Q ability will still be there for rifle if needed. This would allow blending in the casting pot for those that do not work with scrap metals and buy their ingots.

For those that blend their own alloys, the 30/70 antimony/lead will be a clean and consistent alternative. It will never be as inexpensive as it once was, but what is these days?

Boolit Master
    I've been using primarily range scrap for my pistol loads. I still add 1% of tin approx when it goes in the bottom pour, but thats the extent of my mixing. I have a few boxes of hardball and coww set aside specially for my 9mm and if I get into rifle casting.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

doesn't pipe lead have some SB in it, like 1-3%? and no tin? I am going to go to the scrapyard today to get the most pure lead I can find, hopefully stick-ons, if not, second choice is sheet, followed by pipe, I like to get pieces that have lots of soldered joints, so I can up the tin content, only thing is that kinda leaves me guessing with the mix, but like I said, im not even sure about the SB content of pipe!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    hopefully stick-ons, if not, second choice is sheet, followed by pipe, I like to get pieces that have lots of soldered joints, so I can up the tin content, only thing is that kinda leaves me guessing with the mix, but like I said, im not even sure about the SB content of pipe!

And this is what makes it interesting. I would go with the plumbing pipes and fittings first to melt off the solder which would be about 30% tin. Then melt and clean the pipe and remaining fittings. Roof jacks and other flat sheet scrap would be the second choice and the stick on WW would be third to avoid the mess and we all know that WW are made of about anything so yes, the Sb will be pretty much unknown.

Range scrap with cast bullets would be nice. Range scrap with jacketed would have less Sb, but still desirable. Range scrap in general is a mess to deal with so would probably be the last to be smelted even considering the value of the jacket material, if you even can find a buyer. There are many variables that might affect the local value of all scrap metals. Good clean pure-ish lead is always good to have for BP or blend with harder alloys, or for trade. I think it is more a local supply source because we so many looking for pure lead on the S&S posts.

Ive seen Xray lead and shipyard ingots on here for $1 shipped so Im not worried about separating nasty bucketfuls of razorblades valve stems and tobacco spit with every by bucket containing 20% lead

I make an alloy with mag shot, lead, tin and 6% sb alloy that ends up 95%Pb, 3%Sb, 2%Sn and a very small amount (about .25%) As which copies the properties of COWW + 2% Sn and heat treats to > 30 BHN. BHN is 14 as cast and ages to BHN 17 in one week. I don't bother seeking COWW anymore but I use it if it comes my way for reasonable price. That same alloy can be made from linotype or using Rotometals superhard, just need to calculate the admixture from known alloys and metals.

Boolit Master
    The only thing in short supply is cheap/free stuff. It's not the end of the show. You can either buy whatever you want or just don't shoot so much.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Was talking to my brother last night about this. I mentioned that maybe we should go to one of those Pick Your Part scrap yards and see if we can pull the weights off the rims. I would give them more than they would get by leaving the ww on the rims.