RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee real .54 300gr

Boolit Buddy

Lee real .54 300gr

I’ve spent a fair amount of time the last few days working with the Lee real .54 300gr bullet in hopes of finding a accurate load out of my T/C 54 hawken. I originally stayed below 90 gr of pyrodex rs. I was shooting fantastic groups at 50 yards but accuracy was terrible shooting at 100yds. Today I decided to speed things up and I’m very glad I did. I settled in at 110grs and I’m shooting sub 2” groups at 100. I cast these from prure lead and lube with Lee liquid alox. I dry patched every 6-10 shots, the Lee bullet loaded well and I believe kept the bore cleaner the when I shoot prb. I have read alot about people not being successful with this bullet at 100yds so I thought I would put it out there. With a 100yds zero I’m about 3” high at 50. I have not taken it out past 100 but hope to soon. I’m considering ordering a 380gr mold to try them too at some point. Share your thoughts opinions and questions

Andy

Boolit Grand Master
    Well done. Is that with factory sights? If so, I'd say you made it! See what happens at longer distances with the 300 gr'er. If it works, I'd be very happy. Lots of energy in a 300 gr boolit in flight.

Boolit Master
    Is that a 1:48" twist?

I have a .50 cal 1:48" twist Lyman Deerstalker and saw nearly touching results with 70 grns of something I had on hand to try (I had been breaking my rifle in with Pyrodex P and RS my father gave me which I disliked, but also had 3F T7 and Olde E on hand). Regardless the few shots I tried with a wad were nearly touching at 50 yds and bought a mold for my 320 grn version. But I never tried this out at 100 yds yet. I also bought a 250 grn version figuring I'll have to have the Plains Pistol too.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes factory sights with white paint on them and a large single target that makes shooting easier

Boolit Buddy
    Yes standard 1:48 twist

Boolit Master
    I alwys had best success accuracy wise with between 105-110 gr of 2ffg in any of my TC .54’s, I know a lot of folks get by with 80-90. I shoot the 300 gr Lee, the 450 gr Lyman, and the TC maxi hunter at 425 grs, all with between 105-110 grs, with a cushion wad underneath. 1-1/2–2” groups are the norm out of a good barrel!

Boolit Buddy
    I’m glad to hear this, I’ve only ever heard of people using 80-90gr. Have you ever shot those loads over a chrono?

Boolit Grand Master
    I shoot a real from Tom @ Accurate but have found it
    to be very accurate
    I either hand lube pure lead boolits or I
    use Lee allox and just before dry while tacky I sprinkle on
    some wad slick and let them dry
    I use 90 gr of black
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    If I remember, the 300 gr Lee went sbout 1900, FPS, the Lyman’s 450 gr went about 1790 fps

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    If I remember, the 300 gr Lee went sbout 1900, FPS, the Lyman’s 450 gr went about 1790 fps

That’s amazing, I’m a young guy and I had a ( wrong) perception about these guns. But the more I use read and shot them, the more I love and respect them. I got my first renegade 54 at age 9 and I hated it. Now at 27 I have 7 t/c cap locks.

Boolit Mold
    Hello all. I'm glad to hear that someone is having good luck with these. I just acquired my first ML a .54 caliber t/c renegade and would like to try these for whitetail and black bear but wanted to get my hands on a few to try and get some opinions before I buy a mold to cast my own. Your results so far are very impressive.

Boolit Buddy
    Swamp walker send me a pm and I’ll ship some to you to try out.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I shoot a real from Tom @ Accurate but have found it
    to be very accurate
    I either hand lube pure lead boolits or I
    use Lee allox and just before dry while tacky I sprinkle on
    some wad slick and let them dry
    I use 90 gr of black
    White Eagle....just wondering what 'wad slick' is???

Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, I got to see these bullets in action today and I’m very impressed, all shots through and through on two white tails. One of them dropped like a sack of potatoes. So I’m going to keep working with these. I also ordered the 380gr real and the 415gr improved Minnie Lee molds to see how they preform. I think for the average hunter the 300gr real bullet out of my 1-48 twist hawken is a great value.