RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muzzle loading drop tube

Boolit Master
    Some plastics will generate some static that will 'hold on' to powder granules. If it does that you can cure it by washing the plastic with a detergent.

Banned

i guess there might be some special target oriented reasons for using a muzzleloader drop tube, maybe with chunk guns and the like. otherwise, i don't see a need at all for yer typical trad muzzy. pour down a measured load, smack the forestock a few times to settle and *compact* the powder in the barrel's chamber, load the patched ball and *compress* the powder. drop tubes are *essential* for loading black powder cartridges, however, for the same reason - powder *compaction* - then comes a wad and *compression*, followed by the bullet (greaser or PPB) getting pushed into the case mouth.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i guess there might be some special target oriented reasons for using a muzzleloader drop tube, maybe with chunk guns and the like. otherwise, i don't see a need at all for yer typical trad muzzy. pour down a measured load, smack the forestock a few times to settle and *compact* the powder in the barrel's chamber, load the patched ball and *compress* the powder. drop tubes are *essential* for loading black powder cartridges, however, for the same reason - powder *compaction* - then comes a wad and *compression*, followed by the bullet (greaser or PPB) getting pushed into the case mouth.
    Looks to me like a really neat solution - now we need to create the problem somehow!

Boolit Master

Among other reasons for a drop tube is getting the powder to the bottom of the barrel so there is nothing to catch the paper patch. The bullet and patch is a slip fit in the barrel, the patch is dry wrapped and a lost shot if the patch strips. It is a match of highly devoloped tech, the last and highest devoleped muzzleladers. There has been tests on chunk guns, most cannot find any advantage in round ball guns.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master

It's all about consistency, what doesn't make a hill of beans at 100yd becomes a real issue at 1000+yd. For a RB gun or even a hunting gun, dumping powder down a fouled barrel probably can't even be measured, but at the longer ranges it would be measured in feet. To assume that the guys winning international LR competitions using these methods are wasting their time is sort of ignoring the actual facts. They didn't get on top of the heap by pulling this out of their you know what, without some sort of experimentation. Not unlike what most of us do when developing a ML or cartridge load.
    I don't use a drop tube for 25yd or even hunting at 100yd, but 800 to 1200yd I do.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Huvius View Post
    9/32”, 36” long brass tube from Ace - $6.00
    Plastic funnel from a Harbor Freight 4pk - $1.19
    <snip>
    Any thoughts?
    Is the plastic good or bad? I do use a similar design for dropping in cartridges and it seems to work good enough.
    This is exactly what I use for my PH .451 Volunteer. Works very well, I don't see any need for a wood spacer as that is just going to push debris down into the powder chamber.

Maybe I’m missing something. Every muzzleloader I have ever shot has a built in drop tube, it’s called a barrel.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Maybe I’m missing something. Every muzzleloader I have ever shot has a built in drop tube, it’s called a barrel.
    You are missing something. A day at the long range (300y, 600y and 1000y) match would clear up a lot for you. We are not talking about Davy Crockett muzzle loader shooting here.

Bob, you are a diplomat. My hat is off to you.

BTW- I am ashamed to say, I have not tested out the lined nipple you sent me yet. I do hope to get to the Oak Ridge Creedmoor challenge recreation match if not this year then next!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    It's all about consistency, what doesn't make a hill of beans at 100yd becomes a real issue at 1000+yd. For a RB gun or even a hunting gun, dumping powder down a fouled barrel probably can't even be measured, but at the longer ranges it would be measured in feet. To assume that the guys winning international LR competitions using these methods are wasting their time is sort of ignoring the actual facts. They didn't get on top of the heap by pulling this out of their you know what, without some sort of experimentation. Not unlike what most of us do when developing a ML or cartridge load.
    I don't use a drop tube for 25yd or even hunting at 100yd, but 800 to 1200yd I do.

Bob
    Bob

Consistency is (almost) always worth the trouble -- I get that in spades

Also get where the drop tube makes sense in a long range rifle thats being cleaned between shots

Where it gets a little kooky is when half the nooby shooters that have been sitting round getting cabin fever over your winter decide to front up at the range and drop tube their patch ball guns.

Consistency -- shoot a patch ball gun over a chronygraph for a decent string and I bet any shooter very quickly tidy up their procedure for measuring powder, slapping the old girl on the cheeks to settle the load, ramming the ball with equal and consistent pressure -- a small amount of casual-ness can add 150 FPS to string variation easy - and that has got to make a difference at 100yards?

Banned

playing the long distance game with special percussion guns like gibbs and ferriss creedmoor rifles is a whole 'nuther very special affair when compared to an 18th or 19th century working man's militia flintlock long gun. one of these types will find a drop tube mandatory, and t'other it's totally useless dead weight.

Boolit Man

Drop Tube

I use a drop tube when loading my Gibbs and P-H Volunteer rifles. The drop tube insures that the powder gets in the patent breech and keeps the powder clean and dry, my bore wiping is done after every shot in these rifles. The drop tube is kept in the center of the bore by a few wraps of duct tape which were wrapped around the drop tube about 6 inches from the bottom of the tube. All of the charges and bullets are weighed. Everything is as consistent as possible.
    I also shoot a lot of Enfield .58 cal muskets (all are British made Parker-Hale). Anyway one bright day at the rifle range I get the idea that if drop tubing and bore wiping works for the Gibbs and Volunteers it should also work on the muskets. So I drop tubed my weighed charges and bore wiped after firing for 5 shots, I checked my target 3 shots made a 9 inch group 2 were off the paper (SR-1 target) at 100 yards. That was with a rifle that shoots 3 inch 5 shot 100 yard rested groups.
    After that experiment, I wont shoot the Gibbs or Volunteer without using the drop tube and I will not load a musket with one.
    Last year I bought a "Euroarms of America" 3 band, henry rifled Volunteer rifle. That rifle does not have a patent breech. I will try loading without using a drop tube then with one to see if there is a change in accuracy. Have a Great Day !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    You are missing something. A day at the long range (300y, 600y and 1000y) match would clear up a lot for you. We are not talking about Davy Crockett muzzle loader shooting here.

Bob, you are a diplomat. My hat is off to you.

BTW- I am ashamed to say, I have not tested out the lined nipple you sent me yet. I do hope to get to the Oak Ridge Creedmoor challenge recreation match if not this year then next!
    Mike, I'm still using the one Dick Hoff (RIP) gave me back in 13, but I don't shoot it a lot.
    Are you going to shoot ML or BPCR at Oak Ridge? I'm going to shoot my BPCR this year which I've been shooting PP in for the last couple LR Matches. I was really happy with it at the Hepsworth match back in Oct.

Joe, I hunt with a RB ML and plink with one as well and I don't go through near the pains as the Gibbs. Minute of deer or gong is all I look for with those rifles. My 40 will shoot all day long without needing cleaning and just keeps plopping them in there. We all know that some guns are just picky and others not so much.
    The original poster mentioned guns that are typically LR rifles not RB 25 or 50yd guns, which is why I directed my remarks to the LR stuff.

Bob

Vendor Sponsor

Bob, I would really like to shoot with the ML but I would see as I got closer to going and ask Rick what was needed to even out the two sides. Really either BPCR or LRML would be fun.
    This year has too many family plans about that time so it is doubtful I will make it.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Bob, I would really like to shoot with the ML but I would see as I got closer to going and ask Rick what was needed to even out the two sides. Really either BPCR or LRML would be fun.
    This year has too many family plans about that time so it is doubtful I will make it.
    I understand. Being a Friday and Saturday it poses a problem with guys that still need to make a living. Since I work for myself and have plenty of notice I can work around it. It would be nice to have it just a little later in the spring, the weather can sure be a **** shoot. It is a really fun shoot though.
    I was on the first relay at 200yd last year and we had a short rain right at the start. My stuff got wet and that caused a number of dumped loads because my bullets got pushed through the PPs. So I didn't get all of my scoring shots off or they were bad hits and it put me far enough back that I couldn't catch up. The frustration factor didn't help either. That was the first year I haven't finished in the top 10. I did learn from it though.

Bob

I use a drop tube when loading my first generation Parker Hale Volunteer .451, I got it by accident from Peter Dyson and Son , England. It works ver well in this rifle and stops any powder from adhering to the wall of the barrel. It reaches down to the top of the patent breech chamber.
    Keep yor hoss well shod an' yo powda dry !

As a companion to my home made drop tube, I am making ramrods for my Pedersoli Gibbs rifles.
    The wood one is for my 12bore African Hunter.
    Made that from a half inch oak dowel and a drawer pull for the knob. The tip is made from a junk 50-110 case but I will cut a better one in brass rod so I can have a longer, sturdier threaded section at the tip.
    The orange fiberglass one is for the match rifle.
    I made it from a fiberglass driveway marker ($2.30 at Lowe's) and a 25 cent handle from the surplus store. I like the orange color on the rod and drop tube - thinking it makes them less likely to get left at the range...
    The fiberglass rod doesn't have to be super rigid as it is really just for sliding the boolit down the bore and cleaning chores but I figure the wood one should be pretty robust for the 12bore.

The knob is nice and smooth - good for pushing a patched ball down the bore. Looks Old-Timey too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12