RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Saw a deal today, or did I?

Boolit Master

Saw a deal today, or did I?

Today at a gunshop, they were bringing in a collection of guns from an estate. One happened to be a H&R Trapdoor, carbine. This was the version with everything blued, and a Marbles fold over sight for a rear sight. I did not remember seeing one of these. The gun was mint, I mean mint. One of the guys working there said the would have it out in a day or two, probably around $600, should I jump all over that?

Boolit Master

Sounds fair.
    Decent price, and a quick sale for them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    If you want one, that's a good price.

Boolit Master
    I would have probably brought it home. Of course you have to ask "how about 5??

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Today at a gunshop, they were bringing in a collection of guns from an estate. One happened to be a H&R Trapdoor, carbine. This was the version with everything blued, and a Marbles fold over sight for a rear sight. I did not remember seeing one of these. The gun was mint, I mean mint. One of the guys working there said the would have it out in a day or two, probably around $600, should I jump all over that?
    $600.00 is about right. I had the Officer's Model and it was very accurate. I only shoot b/p. I have read accounts of the H&R breechblock opening but it never happened to me, and there is a simple fix for it rather than replacing it with an original. Full house loads (70 grains) will rattle your teeth off the bench.

Boolit Master
    600 seems excessive. H&R's were built as an economical alternative for hunters and shooters. 400 would be about right. You could purchase a nice bolt gun for that. Maybe even a TC.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    600 seems excessive. H&R's were built as an economical alternative for hunters and shooters. 400 would be about right. You could purchase a nice bolt gun for that. Maybe even a TC.
    I think you may be referring to the break open H&R Classic, not a Trapdoor. $600.00 for one in mint condition is a good price. Not a steal, but still good.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

In my book $600 is high for H&R Trapdoor. It is by no means a steal or exceptionally good deal. $600 would be what I would expect for tag price at a show. Nobody pays tag price. $400 would be a steal, so a good deal would be between $400 and $600.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Both of those are over priced.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    In my book $600 is high for H&R Trapdoor. It is by no means a steal or exceptionally good deal. $600 would be what I would expect for tag price at a show. Nobody pays tag price. $400 would be a steal, so a good deal would be between $400 and $600.
    The H&Rs date back to the 70s. To find one now in mint shape is pretty rare. I'm a TD junkie and I follow sales on GB all the time. I've never seen a carbine go for under $500.00 unless it was totally beat up, which a lot of them are.

Boolit Grand Master

For a mint carbine it's not overpriced. If it's the OM model it's about $400.00 under what I have seen them sell for.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    600.00 is an ok price for a cavalry model and if its got the fold down modern rear sight it was made towards the end of the production. The start of production they used a rear sight that was a pretty close copy of the military ladder sight. Does it still have the saddle ring and bar on it? A lot of people took the ring off and sometimes cut the bar off as well.

In Remembrance

I guess that it really `boils down to` do you want it or not?Robert

Boolit Master
    do you want it? ? can you afford it ? if yes is the answer then walk in and lay 5 $ 100 bills on the counter and say what do I walk out with ?