WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering Monthly Load Tests ( ladder type)

Don't place your chrony under a snow laden tree & don't pee against the wind! And...don't pay me no mind either . . .
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    I think including a 10 shot string of .22lr and a 10 shot string of some factory .45 ACP rounds would be interesting for comparison.

Why are you doing 50 shot strings? That seems excessive and it sounds like you don't have a progressive press which would make something like this a much simpler undertaking.
    The 10 shot string of .22 using factory rounds of the same lot thru out was mentioned before as a "benchmark" and it is possible that I may still do that, as well as the option mentioned of using a BB gun( almost new) as the same type of benchmark. I have not yet decided to do both or just one or the other. I will determine that after more thought, or if anyone else offers alternatives.

As far as testing using 45ACP factory as a benchmark, that is under consideration as well. I just have not decided yet to use that or not.

The 50 shot strings of 10 each is for trying to get a better & likely more comprehensive amount of firings using 10 for each rather than 5 or less making the SD, Ave. or "Mean" Velocity, & other collected data more accurate when compared for averages. Each of the powders I plan to test have a range of at least .5 grains from Start(Min.) suggested "book"(current reloading manual) to the Maximum suggested load.

By testing at 0.1gr. for each test string of 10, over that suggested range, is more likely to , once again, give a more comprehensive amount of data for that spread on each powder. Once again I will give the example, although more specifically, of the "book" suggested load range of 700X powder in a 45ACP using a 230gr. Lead boolit from 4.2 grains to 4.7 grains, so if I start at 4.2 grains for 10 shots, then step to 4.3 grains & so on, I will get to 4.6gr. with the final string of 10, and stay below the Maximum suggested load in that range. If I do the same with the other powders & stay within that range of suggest loads, (and they are all around 5 steps of 0.1gr.) I will be able to cover most of what I am trying to test. {<< I hope I explained that well enough. I have mentioned it several times & do not really know how to explain it in any other way right now. If I think of a better way, I will post it.}

As far as a progressive press... NO, I do not own one. I have on "hand press", several single stage, and 2 turret presses. I have only done ladder testing with single stage so far. I may change over to turret, but have not yet thought it would be any faster with the exception of not having to change dies. It is the individual weighing of each powder load that takes the most time, as well as the weighing of each projectile. A progressive would not hep there anyway, IMO. Not having one, I canot speak from experience, but being at least a little bit familiar with them, I do not see how it would be any faster with having to weigh each individual powder load, regardless of how many boolits I am ladder testing.

I hope I explained things well enough. If not, then I may try to do so in a different way after I think on it a bit, or perhaps someone might help out if they would, & could.

Thanks for showing interest & your suggestions are welcomed!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Don't place your chrony under a snow laden tree & don't pee against the wind! And...don't pay me no mind either . . .
    LOL. Funny!

Charlie, It ain't fishin, but I will still be "watching my bobber/float." in what I am doing. & not just with this testing.

To be honest, I am more concerned about how the temp changes might affect the Chrony, going from warm to cold & then cold to warm, so I will have to be careful that the electronics do not get condensation formed inside of it & make me have to get a new one. Or, at minimum screw with the results... If ya want... Wish me G'Luck! on that part.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

JB...leave the chrony in your garage...I do & never have any trouble with it but...I don't live @ the North Pole either.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    JB...leave the chrony in your garage...I do & never have any trouble with it but...I don't live @ the North Pole either.
    Great idea! I will do that tomorrow. That was where I was gonna put the other "testing supplies" as well to acclimatize to the temps before testing. It may as well have a home there along with my casting stuff as well.

I should have thought of that myself, but I have "lots on the plate" right now, it seems. Temporary stuff though, which is good....

Thanks!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12