WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: 20 Gauge Swaged Slug

Banned

20 Gauge Swaged Slug

I have a little winter project going, I'm swaging 20 ga Foster style slugs without the rifling fins. I made a die for my swage press to form the slugs. They are about 7/8 oz. I use a LEE .600 round ball mould to make my swage cores. I have some Cheddite hulls, fiber wads, plastic over the powder seal, and nitro cards still waiting to be delivered. I'll roll crimp them. I've already tested some proto-types with Win AA hulls with a folded crimp and results were very promising. If you remember I bought a rifled slug barrel for my Browning BPS pump shotgun and the 2 3/4 inch Winchester factory slugs shot into 3/4 to 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Here are some pictures of my swaged slug.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20Slug2_zpshow20kmm.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	210980

Name:	20Slug1_zpso6kkpfcv.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	210981

Name:	20Slug3_zps88alxnvr.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	210982

Looks good! D

Boolit Master

that looks very nice. would love to see a photo of the stack out of the hull just for reference.

Banned

rancher I guess you mean showing a picture of the all the wads and slug in relation to the hull. I'll do that when my components come in.

I have learned something on some shotgun sites for loading slugs. They say that if you have a 3 inch chamber, which my Browning does, to load the 3 inch hulls to the the slug closer to the forcing cone. Much in the way we load our rifle bullets closer too for better accuracy. They said that slugs have a habit when loaded in 2 3/4 hulls and shot in a 3 inch chamber of tipping a little in that long jump and not starting straight. Too bad I read that after buying my hulls. But you know those 2 3/4 Winchester Foster slugs shot very well. We'll see.

Don't always believe everything you read. I have had 2 3/4 hulls perform better in 3 in chamber.. Depends on load ..d

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by uncle dino View Post
    Don't always believe everything you read. I have had 2 3/4 hulls perform better in 3 in chamber.. Depends on load ..d
    That's why I mentioned those factory 2 3/4 Winchesters shooting so good. Thanks for the advice.

Boolit Master

Dang, that's a good lookin' boolit, vzerone! Can't wait to see the range report!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Tell us more about the die(s) you made
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Those look really good.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Tell us more about the die(s) you made
    I have an old Herter's 9 ton press. It's strictly, in my opinion, a handgun bullet press. I've made quite a few dies for it for pistol/revolver bullets. The first out of it's league die I made was for a 45-70 bullet. Well the 20 gauge slug surely isn't as long as the 45-70 bullet, but let me assure you the diameter is at the maximum limit of the die. Being I use pretty pure lead for the slugs I wasn't worried about over stressing it. I was more concerned with flexing the die rather then going beyond the press limit. Seems to be working very well so far. With normal pistol/revolver bullets I can set the punch and swage them in one stroke. With the 20 gauge slug I have to swage it in steps much like when you're forming brass to a smaller cartridge like from 30-06 for an example and you don't screw the sizer die in your press all the way. The Herter's press is in reverse where the die is in the ram and the nose punch is stationary.

Thank all of you that like the slug and don't think I'm welshing on you as tests are forth coming when this unusual weather breaks that we're getting here in north eastern TN. We're just getting some of that snow storm going up the east coast today.

Stay tuned!